Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regular thump noise when HVAC on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I get a significant thump noise (and slight car shake) about every 30 seconds when my HVAC is on. The HVAC works fine. It might be happening when the car is moving but it's not noticeable then. HVAC set to 21C so warmer than outside, but not significantly so.

When I first noticed it (when sitting at a red light) I assumed I must have not been pressing the brake hard enough and hence the creep mode was somehow pulling a bit, but after doing some experiments it definitely seems to just be HVAC related. I can sit in the car, with "car off" on the dash, and every 33 seconds I hear/feel the thump. Turn off the HVAC and no thump. Pretty sure it's only been happening for the last month or so.

Anyone else have this?

• Informative
Reactions: Austral
Frankly, that's a bit sucky... surely it must be possible to have a soft-start on this? I've never noticed this on the prius, which has an electric AC compressor (vs belt-driven).

The Prius has a variable speed scroll compressor so you never really hear it. I would have thought Tesla would do the same, but perhaps not.

I started noticing this on my car about a year ago... around the time 7.1 got installed I think. Or whatever the update was that fixed the AC. And once I noticed it, it became more and more annoying. My mind always goes to it when I am in the car while stopped. Also, I have measured the frequency to be more like every 5-10 seconds.

Eventually I brought my car to the service center, and they said it was normal. I am not fully satisfied with the answer though, because I am pretty sure I did not have the thumping sound before, and even if I did, there is no way it should be called normal.