TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Regular thump noise when HVAC on?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by altman, Mar 20, 2013.

1. altman

altman Member

So, I get a significant thump noise (and slight car shake) about every 30 seconds when my HVAC is on. The HVAC works fine. It might be happening when the car is moving but it's not noticeable then. HVAC set to 21C so warmer than outside, but not significantly so.

When I first noticed it (when sitting at a red light) I assumed I must have not been pressing the brake hard enough and hence the creep mode was somehow pulling a bit, but after doing some experiments it definitely seems to just be HVAC related. I can sit in the car, with "car off" on the dash, and every 33 seconds I hear/feel the thump. Turn off the HVAC and no thump. Pretty sure it's only been happening for the last month or so.

Anyone else have this?

• Informative x 1
  2. orlando

orlando Member

Yes i do experience this also.

3. Shorty

Shorty Member

I have the same experience. Has been going on longer than a month though.

4. Russell B

Russell B Member

It's the compressor going on and off. Annoying until you know what it is, at least for me.

• Helpful x 1
  5. altman

altman Member

Frankly, that's a bit sucky... surely it must be possible to have a soft-start on this? I've never noticed this on the prius, which has an electric AC compressor (vs belt-driven).

This is what happens when cars get too quiet - you start hearing the other systems!

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The Prius has a variable speed scroll compressor so you never really hear it. I would have thought Tesla would do the same, but perhaps not.

7. Austral

Austral Member

Thanks gentlemen. I've been noticing this as well. Scheduled a service call next week for nothing perhaps. Good news overall of course. The HVAC has been excellent though in general.

8. Atebit

Atebit Member

I have it too. I had a loaner last week with about 37K miles that also had it...

• Dislike x 1
  9. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

Same here. It startles me sometimes when I'm sitting idle for a few minutes waiting to pick up the little man from school, but other than the noise and slight bump, it hasn't given me any issues.

10. NWeHunt

NWeHunt Member

Also noticed this when sitting idle. Definitely seemed like the compressor to me.

11. mastermason11

mastermason11 Member

Been happening to me for a long time now. I brought it in to the SC a few months ago (with other things I want to get fixed) and they said this was normal. :(

• Helpful x 1
  12. outie

outie Member

Happens to the Model X as well. I have been hearing it and figured it's the AC.

• Informative x 1
  13. iffatall

iffatall Member

I started noticing this on my car about a year ago... around the time 7.1 got installed I think. Or whatever the update was that fixed the AC. And once I noticed it, it became more and more annoying. My mind always goes to it when I am in the car while stopped. Also, I have measured the frequency to be more like every 5-10 seconds.

Eventually I brought my car to the service center, and they said it was normal. I am not fully satisfied with the answer though, because I am pretty sure I did not have the thumping sound before, and even if I did, there is no way it should be called normal.