Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regularly hauling household garbage inside a Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would anyone who regularly fills a Model Y to the brim hauling household garbage care to share their solutions for maximizing what fits?

One of my regular tasks is hauling the household garbage to the transfer station (aka Dump). With my last two cars I have used the same two 32 gallon cans shown in the picture below. Not shown, I also haul a smaller can, the week's flattened cardboard boxes, plus boxes and boxes of sorted recycling. I avoid hauling bare garbage bags because they sometimes leak.

This week I test drove a Model Y, and discovered that my good ole 32 gallon garbage cans do not fit. (Yes, I took the cans to the test drive.)

1-Tesla_Model_Y1.jpg

What solutions have people tried that worked well, or want to warn me away from using? Personally, I want an "inside the car" solution, not trailers, or exterior racks.

Would anyone who regularly fills a Model Y to the brim hauling household garbage care to share their solutions for maximizing what fits?

One of my regular tasks is hauling the household garbage to the transfer station (aka Dump). With my last two cars I have used the same two 32 gallon cans shown in the picture below. Not shown, I also haul a smaller can, the week's flattened cardboard boxes, plus boxes and boxes of sorted recycling. I avoid hauling bare garbage bags because they sometimes leak.

This week I test drove a Model Y, and discovered that my good ole 32 gallon garbage cans do not fit. (Yes, I took the cans to the test drive.)

View attachment 658648

What solutions have people tried that worked well, or want to warn me away from using? Personally, I want an "inside the car" solution, not trailers, or exterior racks.
I keep a blanket over the folded-down second and third row seats in my SUV and haul trash bags and other trash once a week. About once a month I put the blanket in the washer. Trash cans don't fit well and are too much trouble.

Reactions: Thp3 and B_E_V
Upvote 0
wow that is a big difference. I also go to the dump on a weekly basis with my Y. I do not take the 32 gallon cans, but simply empty it out and take the trash bags and shipping boxes and recycles. Maybe with the back seats down they would fit inside?

My other suggestion, if you want to take the 32 gallons cans, is to get a Cyber Truck!
But then you wouldn't likely be able to get the cool camper setup
but that leads to yet a different dilemma.

Upvote 0

View attachment 658648

With a previous car, I had this problem and solved it by lying the garbage cans on their sides with the back seat down, with lids that locked in place (important!). Where I live now with my Model Y, I'm just a short driveway away from curbside pickup, so the problem's solved in another way.

Upvote 0
My other suggestion, if you want to take the 32 gallons cans, is to get a Cyber Truck!
I actually measured my garage for a Cyber Truck yesterday. Assuming Wikipedia is correct that the Cyber Truck is 231.7 inches long. If I first used the Cyber Truck to haul away my garage shelves, my table saw, and a bunch of other things I would prefer to keep. Then I believe that I could park the Cyber Truck in my garage. Though it would only have a 13.3 inch air gap shared between the garage door behind it and the wall, with includes a door, in front of the truck.

When I mentioned this to my sister-in-law, she said I should do my 32 gallon garbage can test, and make sure the cans fit inside the truck before ordering one.

Upvote 0
I keep a blanket over the folded-down second and third row seats in my SUV and haul trash bags and other trash once a week. About once a month I put the blanket in the washer. Trash cans don't fit well and are too much trouble.

... I also go to the dump on a weekly basis with my Y. I do not take the 32 gallon cans, but simply empty it out and take the trash bags and shipping boxes and recycles....
I am slowly coming around to the idea that with the Model Y if you want to haul trash, you haul the bags, not the cans. I already use Weathertech mats and waterproof reusable painter tarps to protect my CRV. I would have done something similar for a Model Y anyway. Perhaps the idea of double bagging my trash, using huge outer bags that fit my 32 gallon cans will reassure me enough to give up on the security of hauling cans. After all worse case I just have to clean the car.

Upvote 0