Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regulations for batteries for home use?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm seriously thinking of starting a solar panel business, installations. I'd like to get an idea of what kind of regulations there are for how much electricity one can store in a private residence? When do you think you would begin to need special permissions? Say if you want to install a battery system in your home that holds 50kW of electricity?

Not much sense in using batteries if you're in a place where you are connected to the electrical grid, especially if you have a time of use meter.  You can sell your excess power generation to the utility during the day at peak hours (when you're probably not even home).  Then in the evening you're home (and when your solar panels aren't working), you use power off the grid at roughly half the price you sold it to them.

<Edit typo: have-->half>

Being able to store energy at home seems to be a good way to be able to have electical back up in case of power outage at times when solar is also not available or limited. Having the ability to plug a vehicle into the homes electrical grid would seem to be the cheapest way to provide this back up power instead of having a totally separate electric backup system that would most likely only see minimal usage.

Of course there also seems to be a limited trend of some folks to actually be totally off the electric grid. I recently read about one such group in the Carolina's. I hope you find the information you're looking for and make a decent living on providing home installations and conversions. Perhaps you might consider packaging such a system with an energy efficient home and start a trend with some builders to provide energy efficient home options.