Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

rehab / construction planning w Tesla Solar, not helpful

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,
Chicago here.
I plan to build a garage top one bedroom up from existing frame regular garage. This will have a south facing roof, from 500 to 780sqf living area.
The Tesla Energy customer service rep assigned to me is not helpful at all in guiding me about planning and will not talk to our architect.
how does one go about planning the construction and talking to a Tesla person about running the cables from the garage to the main house, where to install the two powerwall2s, etc? I will be in the main building and will be using the generated solar power, as well as the stored power, so there will be a lot of cables running around.
The Tesla rep assinged to me just shuts me down... we can't talk until you have a structure.
Really?

how do I have a structure? where do we put the panels where do we put the powerwalls?

I have repeatedly heard on this Forum that Tesla is not responsive on new construction. Find a local installer. You can save money working with the right installer. Some of the infrastructure for solar is less expensive to install during framing of the structure. On one install I saved money because the standoffs and wire penetrations were waterproofed and warranted by the roofing contractor and the solar installer gave me a discount because he did not have to allow for future roof leak call backs.

Thank you for the reply. This is the perennial chicken and egg problem...
the Installer, who is that?
is this one of the official / approved installers?
Are there a list of these installers?
I guess if they are the approved installers, they should be able to advise on the equipment needed, where to best locate them?

Hello all,
Chicago here.
I plan to build a garage top one bedroom up from existing frame regular garage. This will have a south facing roof, from 500 to 780sqf living area.
The Tesla Energy customer service rep assigned to me is not helpful at all in guiding me about planning and will not talk to our architect.
how does one go about planning the construction and talking to a Tesla person about running the cables from the garage to the main house, where to install the two powerwall2s, etc? I will be in the main building and will be using the generated solar power, as well as the stored power, so there will be a lot of cables running around.
The Tesla rep assinged to me just shuts me down... we can't talk until you have a structure.
Really?

how do I have a structure? where do we put the panels where do we put the powerwalls?

You dont, you choose another solar company. That sounds snarky but its not ment to be. Tesla doesnt do very well at all with dealing with stuff like this, and would rather not. You should choose another solar company, preferably one local to you that is more flexible.

"The installer" referenced by @Ampster is "A local solar company thats not Tesla energy".