Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reinstalling wall charger after moving not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just moved house (east coast Australia) and the electrician who installed my wall charger disconnected it carefully, I put it in the trunk and drove the 9 hours to my new house. It was safely packed in the trunk, not rolling around etc. Then a new electrician here (very experienced but not ever with Tesla) studied the charger’s installation manual and installed it on a separate circuit from our fuse box to the garage wall. It worked for 4 nights and now doesn’t. When plugged into my 2018 X there is a green light on the charger but it doesn’t move up and down and the warning on the dash says : “Unable to charge- check power source. Check external charging equipment. “
(When I plug in the spare charger that lives in my trunk and that connects via an extension cord to a normal household power outlet it works fine and slowly charges). The new electrician thinks that my wall charger is broken. Any suggestions please? Yes I should have used the authorised Tesla electricians and will call them tomorrow but has anyone had this problem and how was it solved? I’m really puzzled as to how my charger could now be faulty. Thank you for any help.

Hi Jabberwock,

A few suggestions while you wait:
If you have not done so already turn off the breaker to the charger
wait a half minute or so and turn it back on...
If no change there - try the Red Reset button on the side of the unit...
Check the connector that plugs into your car... Bent pins? Missing pins?
All basic checks but good to do while you wait for the next electrician...

Good luck,

Shawn

Thank you Shawn, I did all of that and after an brief hesitation it worked. I did all 3 things you suggested so I don’t know which one worked.
I called Tesla and a very helpful service technician said that he had another case in progress of a HPWC working intermittently after being moved, no solution yet. As mine started working again today I need to wait and if it stops again call them. It is still under warranty so if the problem is in the charger it will be sorted out; if not hopefully the local accredited electricians will fix it at my cost- that’s ok.