Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reinventing service...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's latest investor presentation gives a tantalizing hint of the awaited change to the company's service offerings. "Best Service is No Service"

Page 32:

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 3.05.58 PM.png

Is this supposed to be something new they are announcing? Everything on slide 32 as pictured above is exactly what we get today. Now, if they come out and define some hardware upgrades that we are entitled to under service then we'd be getting somewhere. That's pretty much all I care about at this stage.

And the prepaid service & warranty options, with extensions out to 8 years, should be made TRANSFERRABLE - I.e., to the person you sell your model S to a few years from now. These items should be major pluses for resale. But as far as I can tell tesla policy is that these items do NOT follow the car across a sale.

alan

And the prepaid service & warranty options, with extensions out to 8 years, should be made TRANSFERRABLE - I.e., to the person you sell your model S to a few years from now. These items should be major pluses for resale. But as far as I can tell tesla policy is that these items do NOT follow the car across a sale.

alan

Incorrect. I purchased the extended warranty and it explicitly states it can be transferred to the new owner.

alan

I can verify that they are transferable. They were supposed to charge $100 for the transfer, but AFAIK it was not charged in the sale of my first ModelS

It says "No scheduled maintenance" not no maintenance ever.

Perhaps they will convert to more of a maintenance contract where they will cover any required maintenance on an as-needed basis based on vehicle telematics.

O

This! This, makes the most sense. Honestly people have been going in much more frequently than 1 time a year. The only thing they would need to take care of, is to let you know that you should come in to have your vehicle serviced *soon* if there is something they need to fix with the car. Like the B-pillar issues and the creaking panoramic roof type problems. And then of course if they have any major safety issues, get people to service their cars pronto! Otherwise, I would think people would just get their car serviced as they felt like they had an issue with it... Which for many people might be... never!

To those that pre-paid for 4 years or whatever, I know any major change in service would suck for you (assuming that the cost model changes downward), but I wouldn't think that was something they had planned for from the beginning. This might be a very recent change for them. I know I would hate to have paid for it, and then it not be needed any longer, but on the other hand at least everyone else going forward gets a far better deal, which is still a win in my book (20-30k people paying for something no longer needed is far better than screwing over millions in the name of being "fair" to those 20-30k people. Price drops are always a good thing in my book, no matter which side of the coin I find myself on.)

Hopefully we will get more details very soon.

+1. I've emailed numerous at tesla regarding this issue, and no response. I hope they are working on it. We need some value for our prepaid service $.

You did get something for your prepaid service. A discount. That's it. Why do people keep thinking you were going To get anything more than someone who just pays as they go for what tesla said from the beginning was a "prepaid service plan". You were simp,y giving tesla money ahead of time for the annual plan at a discount.

As someone who plans to drive 25k miles a year I planned to get prepaid service because I was told there isn't a miles limit and it would be good for 4 services. Can't confirm this is true. I also will need my tires rotated 4-5 times a year.

With an ICE this was pretty straight forward. How do I get a clear idea of what this will cost from Tesla? It's seems like less maintenance is going to cost me much more...

As someone who plans to drive 25k miles a year I planned to get prepaid service because I was told there isn't a miles limit and it would be good for 4 services. Can't confirm this is true. I also will need my tires rotated 4-5 times a year.

With an ICE this was pretty straight forward. How do I get a clear idea of what this will cost from Tesla? It's seems like less maintenance is going to cost me much more...

yeah 4 services, at 12k miles, which covers you until you hit 48k. It is 12k OR 1 year. In this case you would be spending more on service per year than most, but you are also driving your car a lot more. I would think less service required would come out positive in your case, because that means you could stretch it out a bit further for your money (assuming the retroactively adjust the mileage for you guys).

Same thing @ Al Sherman. I would anticipate how they would "take care of you" would be in them shifting when you are obligated to show up for your service. But this is just a guess, and I can't know what their intentions are. I always live by, wish for the best and plan for the worst, this way you are never disappointed!