Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reject or Not Reject? Need Immediate Advice!

What Should I Do?

• Reject the car

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • Get it Fixed at Body Shop

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • Do nothing

Votes: 15 29.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took the delivery of my Model 3 Wednesday and when I picked up the car there were a couple of imperfections in the paint. There was a small chip on the hood (see pic below) and a black dot on the fender that is under the clear coat. There are also some small dust particles in the paint on the driver's side A-pillar, one of the wheel well edges, and one on the passenger side door frame.

I went to Tesla yesterday and they said I'd have to take it to a Tesla approved body shop and Tesla would cover the repair costs. I went to the body shop today and they said it'd take 3 weeks at least to do the repairs and would involve painting the entire hood, part of the fender, then color matching it all.

Should I get the car fixed, reject the car, or just deal with it? Tesla told me that I have until today, Saturday, to note any issues and reject the car. Please let me know your thoughts! Im trying to think of the benefits of having the factory paint versus new paint that may not match perfectly.

Attachments

• IMG_0588.jpg
    IMG_0588.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0589.jpg
    IMG_0589.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 123
This is a tough call without knowing which model variant we're talking about and how badly you need the car. If this is an AWD, I would reject it as a replacement should be available in the near future. . If it's something more rare, and you've already sold your previous car, you might want to go the body shop route. I lean towards getting a replacement but there's always the possibility that it will have similar imperfections. Tesla seems to have paint issues in general.

Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: TechSavvyWife
I have the RWD Aero Wheels EAP Pearl White. I have already sold my previous car so that is definitely an issue. Others received Tesla loaners while waiting on a replacement car....I know they have paint issues but I didn't realize the time and lengths that would have to be taken to fix little things.

Reactions: JimmyC
I have the RWD Aero Wheels EAP Pearl White. I have already sold my previous car so that is definitely an issue. Others received Tesla loaners while waiting on a replacement car....I know they have paint issues but I didn't realize the time and lengths that would have to be taken to fix little things.

My vote is to reject the car and insist on a loaner. Be polite but firm and let us know how it goes.

Is that a Midnight Silver AWD with black interior and 18” Aeros? If so then REJECT IT IMMEDIATELY! And have them ship it to Atlanta so I can take delivery asap! :)

Seriously though, those seem to be relatively small imperfections just based on the pictures. If it were me I would keep the car as Tesla has already said they would cover the cost of the repairs. Just have them arrange for you to have a loaner during the repairs and you’ll be fine.

I took the delivery of my Model 3 Wednesday and when I picked up the car there were a couple of imperfections in the paint. There was a small chip on the hood (see pic below) and a black dot on the fender that is under the clear coat. There are also some small dust particles in the paint on the driver's side A-pillar, one of the wheel well edges, and one on the passenger side door frame.

I went to Tesla yesterday and they said I'd have to take it to a Tesla approved body shop and Tesla would cover the repair costs. I went to the body shop today and they said it'd take 3 weeks at least to do the repairs and would involve painting the entire hood, part of the fender, then color matching it all.

Should I get the car fixed, reject the car, or just deal with it? Tesla told me that I have until today, Saturday, to note any issues and reject the car. Please let me know your thoughts! Im trying to think of the benefits of having the factory paint versus new paint that may not match perfectly.
You had 48 hours to make this decision unless you got something in writing from the service center. It may be your car now if Tesla balks at SC giving you 4 days. Why did you wait three days to go to the body shop? You should have done that Wed or Thurs.

These issues seem minor unless it is something you will notice every time you drive the car. Having large sections of the car repainted could cause uneven fading later. Is the car silver or MSM? In either case I would not repaint. Live with it or reject if you still can.

EDIT: Your car is white? It looks gray in the pics.

Last edited:
Reactions: kbecks13
It does not seem too serious if those two spots are the only issue. Can you follow up with Tesla to see if they can work with the body shop to expedite the fix? There's no reason for this to take longer than a week or 10 days tops given that they are just painting. I would also ask for the following:

• Ask for a Tesla loaner during the time you wait (will incentivize Tesla to get the repair done earlier!)
  • Maybe after 1 or 2 complimentary services (value there for you but costs Tesla hardly anything)
  • Guarantee there will be no CarFax hit.
  • You reserve the right to reject the car if the paint job is not to your satisfaction.
Issues like this happen and better if caught earlier but I'm sure Tesla will get this fixed for you.

Reactions: neroden and P85_DA

Why does the car look gray in the pics if you have a white one?!

When I picked up my car I was faced with the same choice, and in additional choice of keeping my Model S.

I made the decision to do the due bill.

But, then after thinking about it for a bit I came to the conclusion that it was the wrong answer. The reason is I'm going to be without the car while they fix it. Now that's fine for a minor thing that will take a day or two. But, it's not okay for something that will take 3 weeks.

The other nagging thing is they've been delivering cars they shouldn't be. Why did they even ask you to come down with issues like that? That's what really bugged me about my car.

So generally my advice lately is to reject to make a point to Tesla to stop doing this.

If panel gaps are ok and all works, accept and go the body shop route.

I bough a Chevy Bolt for my son. Not so easy to find the exact color/packages. There was an annoying blob on the A pillar at delivery. The repainted the A pillar. It took a week because they had to order some replacement trim. Chevy gave me a loaner. Looks perfect now. Car has never had any other flaw or warranty service in 8 months. I mostly forget the incident.

Reactions: Johann Koeber
Honestly, I'd just live with it. I live in an area where you're gonna get that many chips pretty quickly anyway, though -- lots of flying gravel.

If you live in an area where the car is likely to get less beat up (sounds like you do), and you can handle being without your car for 3 weeks, I would go the body shop route.

I've been telling people to reject cars which have *much worse* problems than this; gouges in the metal, unexplained noises while driving, interior trim problems. Your problems are just paint, and not large paint problems either. Unless it's gonna bug you forever, I'd take the car.

If it's gonna bug you forever, then reject it, obviously.

I would personally have them fix it and keep the car. My Pearl White RWD with Aero Wheels is currently at the SC getting both mirrors repainted and possibly the front bumper (depends on if the body shop and fix the small chip). As long as it looks good, I'm happy. I don't buy this doom and gloom about having things painted at body shops. Besides, you may end up with a replacement car that has worse issues than a couple minor paint spots.

I would take it. That is what touch-up paint is for. Besides, after 6 months or less of ownership you will have chips anyway, most likely, near the front. To me that seems very very minor and I would not reject the car if it is otherwise perfect.

Update for everyone and I appreciate the thoughts and replies to the poll. There were a few more things than what I said in the first post. The body shop I went to today (Tesla recommended/approved) said they’d have to repaint basically the whole front part of the car especially due to the pearl white paint. This weighed into my decision and I didn’t want a brand new car totally disassembled and repainted.

I decided to reject the car and get a new VIN. Tesla gave me the option to get it fixed but I decided I wanted a new car. They were receptive and escalated it to the two highest people on site. The SC was slammed with deliveries - said they normally deliver 20-30 in a day and today they were doing over 100. Tesla handled this extremely well and said that I should receive a perfect car and that is their standard! Good to hear. They said I will have a new car next week as there was one that matched mine already in Dallas. They gave me a P85D loaner in the meantime - it’s great but I love the Model 3 so much more.

Although having to deal with getting a new car is unfortunate - TESLA was fantastic through the whole situation. They are customer focused and want to do whatever they can to make things right. I was at the SC for over 3 hours but I was constantly updated with the steps they were taking and what was happening. I’m confident the new car will be great and can’t wait to have it! I really believe Tesla is working hard to make customers happy, meet demand, and be profitable!

Update for everyone and I appreciate the thoughts and replies to the poll. There were a few more things than what I said in the first post. The body shop I went to today (Tesla recommended/approved) said they’d have to repaint basically the whole front part of the car especially due to the pearl white paint. This weighed into my decision and I didn’t want a brand new car totally disassembled and repainted.

I decided to reject the car and get a new VIN. Tesla gave me the option to get it fixed but I decided I wanted a new car. They were receptive and escalated it to the two highest people on site. The SC was slammed with deliveries - said they normally deliver 20-30 in a day and today they were doing over 100. Tesla handled this extremely well and said that I should receive a perfect car and that is their standard! Good to hear. They said I will have a new car next week as there was one that matched mine already in Dallas. They gave me a P85D loaner in the meantime - it’s great but I love the Model 3 so much more.

Although having to deal with getting a new car is unfortunate - TESLA was fantastic through the whole situation. They are customer focused and want to do whatever they can to make things right. I was at the SC for over 3 hours but I was constantly updated with the steps they were taking and what was happening. I’m confident the new car will be great and can’t wait to have it! I really believe Tesla is working hard to make customers happy, meet demand, and be profitable!
Great move; great decision. Here's to your NEXT Model 3 being perfect!

Reactions: qwertzy and JimmyC