Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rejected 1st delivery, 2nd delivery scheduled for tomorrow: VIN question

So I rejected delivery of a MX Plaid due to quality issues. Tesla allocated me a new VIN only 4 days later and car is ready for pickup tomorrow. I had some questions around the VIN (I've been using Teslatap.com to decipher).

1st VIN assigned (that I rejected) was in the 317,000 range. Looking at the Google tracking sheet, this serial for MXs goes way back to roughly October 2020- but its supposed to be a 2022 Plaid Model X. Although there were some really weird things with this car, thus the rejection: for example it had an old plaid badge and it looked like it had been sitting on a lot for many months. Any insight on that might explain the VIN oddity?

2nd VIN is in the 367,000 range which is far ahead of the latest VIN I see in the Google tracking sheet. Do they ever skip VINs or did Tesla really produce that many MXs (would be close to 30K in 6 months, which makes little sense)?

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC