Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rejected 4 cars, was told they would not request more cars for me

Would you reject this car

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is that you don't seem to know yourself what might or might not be easily fixable. And you know that asking the person at the Delivery Center is pretty meaningless since they don't really know anything. Of course you're hamstrung because you can't take it to a Service Center to ask.

My advice would be to bring an experienced person who knows cars who can give you advice on what can or can't be easily adjusted. Whether it's a professional or just someone you trust, it's up to you. Because right now, you're between a rock and a hard place. You don't know what is or isn't easily fixable, and the Delivery Center staff can't help you, so you're stuck.

If you weren't happy with the taillight gap (which yes, should not be that large of a difference from side to side), then tesla is probably not for you. Once you got it home and gave it a real good once over after the first wash, you'd probably sh!t a brick at other build quality issues that stood out to you... You probably made the right decision on both sides to reject them.

If the gaps bother you then that is your prerogative, however it is also Tesla's option to decide when stop trying to satisfy you. The people at the delivery center have no control over the cars that they get in to deliver, at best they could measure the gaps for you and tell you not to bother to come in. And, unless it is attached to a service center, there is likely no one there that can definitively tell you if they can be corrected to your tolerances or not.

Your best bet is to either take delivery, have the gaps noted on the due bill and then make a service appointment to get them corrected. If they can't correct them to your tolerances then you return the car. Your other option, as was mentioned previously, would be to go check out there inventory cars and see if one of them would meet your tolerances.

Otherwise, put it aside for a while and stop by the delivery center every few months to see if they've gotten better.

Reactions: j6Lpi429@3j
In Costa Mesa the delivery center and service center are right next to each other. Whenever there has been a question about something that a delivery person could not answer they were able to bring a service technician out to look at the car and talk to me. On my last visit the service center general manager came out to talk to me. He was very helpful and pleasant and super knowledgeable.

It sounds like the OP was at a delivery center that was not co-located with a delivery center, which is not ideal. I would try to avoid those locations if an alternate location with both functions can be used. On several deliveries I’ve had minor issues fixed on the spot before I signed any paperwork so I didn’t have to worry about post delivery commitments and scheduling future service appointments.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Our two Model 3's both have pretty consistent panel gaps. There is a slight amount of visual variation but I would never notice unless I was specifically looking for gap variations. Since taking delivery of our cars, my wife and I have become "panel gap inspectors" of cars wherever we park. We compare the consistency of parked, newer looking cars to our Teslas. It turns out that even BMW's, Volvo's, Audi's and especially many American cars have greater variation than our two Teslas.

I think the whole panel gap thing is so overblown it's ridiculous. I grew up driving American cars made in the 1960 and 1970's and "panel gaps" wasn't even a thing that was mentioned although the gaps on cars back then were a lot more inconsistent than any Tesla I've seen.

If it's something that sticks out like a sore thumb and can't be fixed by a tech I might reject it, but otherwise I'll ignore it or let them fix it. Not going to go through the hassle of rejecting the car over something that's easily fixable or ignored.

I rejected 4 M3's in a row, once each Saturday, all mainly due to significantly different taillight gap on left vs right side. Maybe I'm too perfectionist but it really bothers me. Anyone know if there are specific policies limiting how many times you can reject cars?

In my last visit I just took a caliper to record the difference.

View attachment 446153 View attachment 446154

I do expect there to be minimal flaws as well considering it’s a new car. I did reject my first delivery. They did fix the panel issue quickly (about 50% of the cars in the lot had the same panel issue) and there was a bubble in the pain on the trunk that was under the gloss coat that I could have lived with but in one spot the paint was chipping a tiny bit. We gently tried to buff it out with a T-shirt but it got worse. They said they could respray but then the paint wouldn’t be new. Am crossing my fingers I get a good one this week.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I rejected a black car a while ago for paint issues - one panel had been badly re-sprayed, another was visibly thin (could see the undercoat on a close look) as well as dust spots in the paint here and there. I was told it was "about average" for Tesla and so I requested a white one instead where such defects would be less obvious; it's in for correction of a paint issue which I know is risky on a pearl white but I have my fingers crossed for a acceptably clean car on round 2.

Can't wait till Elon's vision for Tesla build quality is realized but obviously today is not that day.

• Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D
Some of these responses are really unfair (and condescending).

Everyone has to decide what's important to them. I've always driven Toyotas (Last few cars included a Prius and now a Prius Prime) and I'm used to cars that never break or have issues (I know every manufacturer has some issues but in general my Priuses (Priui?) have been indestructible.) The thought of having manufacturing defects or other problems and then needing to wait weeks for a fix is something that would drive me crazy. Some people buy Jeeps. They are incredibly unreliable but those owners deal with it because it comes with the territory if you want that car. Everybody decide what is and isn't important to them. I personally wouldn't care at all (and probably wouldn't even notice) panel gap issues. If that is what is important to this person they have the right to that decision. There is clearly less quality control going out of the factory then other manufacturers. Lets not ridicule someone for deciding what issues they care about. FWIW- I think we all believe that there issues will continue to get better over time.