Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rejected delivery, now what?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rejected delivery of my blue MYP on 3/31 due to a litany of issues with the car and just a horrible, horrible experience overall. That said, now I'm kind of at an impasse because I'm essentially stuck without a car until May, June, or whenever they start making deliveries again. I'm curious what the experience has been for others that have rejected their deliveries, did you get assigned another car quickly, or was it a long wait?

Did you take delivery in Devon? If so I’m surprised you had a horrible experience. I know I’m not answering your question but am curious.
Yes, I did. The SA I dealt with when I got there was actually very nice. The main problem is that they delayed my delivery twice in order to replace a badly rashed wheel and when I finally got there to pick up the car, the wheel was still damaged and was clearly never replaced (along with some other issues).

I rejected the car and they promptly sent me on my way, no apology for wasting three days of my time, no follow-up, nothing. If I could somehow complain to corporate I would.

What were the issues and could they have not been fixed with a service appointment?

Besides the wheel that they lied about fixing. The rear spoiler was hanging off, there was a poorly repaired dent by the front wheel well and there were interior trim pieces that were popping off.

I’m willing to chalk this one up as a bad egg, but it doesn’t instill much confidence.

Besides the wheel that they lied about fixing. The rear spoiler was hanging off, there was a poorly repaired dent by the front wheel well and there were interior trim pieces that were popping off.

I’m willing to chalk this one up as a bad egg, but it doesn’t instill much confidence.
So, these things couldn’t be fixed with a service appointment? Considering you are in a tight spot, just take it and fix the issues after.

So, these things couldn’t be fixed with a service appointment? Considering you are in a tight spot, just take it and fix the issues after.
I hear you, It’s more the principle of the thing though. It’s just unacceptable condition for a 70k car, service appointments or not.

Who knows though, maybe I just got a reject or a bad egg. We’ll see what happens with the next one.

Reactions: MikeR99
You want him to accept a $70,000 vehicle that shouldn’t have even been presented to a customer? The cheapest new Hyundai at a dealer wouldn’t be presented to a customer in such condition.

If people keep enabling these behaviors Tesla will never get better.

You want him to accept a $70,000 vehicle that shouldn’t have even been presented to a customer? The cheapest new Hyundai at a dealer wouldn’t be presented to a customer in such condition.

I’ve got my issues with Tesla. I’ve complained about plenty.

Since the OP was talking about being a tight spot; perhaps he could’ve taken the car and got it fixed later. I get it, the automobile should not have been presented in such a manner but sometimes you have to bite the bullet when you’re in a tight spot.

100% agree, I rejected a M3 last month after pickup was delayed twice waiting on replacement glass, we arrived for pickup and found out our pickup had been pushed back 4 more days, but nobody notified us.
I asked to inspect the car so we could avoid further issues, the trunk and frunk were misaligned, these were a simple fix, but the drivers side of the car was a mess for panel alignment starting at the fender and including both doors, so much so I wasn't comfortable with the car so I rejected it. I couldn't believe they had possession of the car for over a week and had ignored the issues with the panel alignment. One example is the bottom of the drivers door was sticking out 1/2 inch further than then front of the rear door.
As you stated, accepting delivery only enables them. I will be waiting until the May/June Model 3 deliveries start in the US to get a car I am happy with.

Yes, I did. The SA I dealt with when I got there was actually very nice. The main problem is that they delayed my delivery twice in order to replace a badly rashed wheel and when I finally got there to pick up the car, the wheel was still damaged and was clearly never replaced (along with some other issues).

I rejected the car and they promptly sent me on my way, no apology for wasting three days of my time, no follow-up, nothing. If I could somehow complain to corporate I would.
You can complain to corporate no problem, you can also tweet Elon. You’d be surprised to hear that they would respond almost immediately.

It's a car drive it

You absolutely did the right thing. I would definitely not have accepted the car. I've seen preowned Honda Accords delivered in better shape than a lot of these cars. You have to ask yourself what these cars go through before delivery to get curbed wheels and dents. I wouldn't accept a new car with paint work or noticeable repairs either. It's a new car. It should look like it.

With those issue, it sounds like it wasn't a new car. I definitely wouldn't have accepted it either. When I received mine, everything was practically perfect. I did notice that the driver side door had a gap. But mobile service was able to fix it at my home which I was very impressed by.