Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rejected delivery today, Costa Mesa, CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About 1 hour prior to my delivery appointment I get the dreaded voicemail about a last minute final inspection revealing my vehicle had scratches on the frunk, headlights, trunk, door sil, and rear bumper. I was not really surprised Tesla would pull this maneuver due to reading the stories posted on this forum but more disappointed.

I had really worked out a tight window with my work to take time off to take delivey, get the proper funds paperwork setup, have a family member take off their work to give me a ride/be there to celebrate my delivery appointment.

I called 2 days before to get confirmation that my vehicle will be ready for my delivery appointment and was assured it was ready and no delays would occur.

What bugs me the most is why did the delivery center pull the 1 hour voicemail bad news routine when they knew the car would not be ready. Here is how I figured out there was no way the vehicle would have been ready for my schedule delivery. When I called 2 days prior to confirm the status of my vehicle I did mention I downloaded the app on my phone but it reported that I had no products linked to my account. The delivery person said it would pair the app with my car about 15 mins prior to my delivery time.

Sure enough I pulled the app and my model 3 was synced to my phone. I could see the charge status, VIN number, #of miles, most importantly the location. It was at a collision auto center 15 miles from the service center (Irvine auto collision center)

I was told either I wait 7-10 days to let the body shop fix it which would involve repainting the car or have to wait 4-6 weeks for tesla to build me another car. I opted for a new vehicle.

Now my tesla account shows I have no VIN number but my balance I owe is still up. I was going to bring a cashier check to the delivery appointment. My tesla app is no longer is paired with a model 3.

I have not heard anything from my sales rep so far regarding a ETA for a replacement vehicle nor a follow up after I finished speaking with the delivery center. I’m just in the dark right now.

My coworkers have been asking did I pick up my vehicle since they knew I was suppose to be picking it up today. They sympathize with my situation and said I definitely made the right choice to refuse delivery and were disappointed to hear about my Tesla experience so far.

This was at the Costa Mesa, California location. VIN 21643, MSM LR RWD, areo

I hope no ones gets handed this vehicle.

About 1 hour prior to my delivery appointment I get the dreaded voicemail about a last minute final inspection revealing my vehicle had scratches on the frunk, headlights, trunk, door sil, and rear bumper.

Why? It's just scratches, likely from shipping, nothing mechanical or structural. They'll get it repainted and it will the same, if not better, than had it just come off the factory line.

About 1 hour prior to my delivery appointment I get the dreaded voicemail about a last minute final inspection revealing my vehicle had scratches on the frunk, headlights, trunk, door sil, and rear bumper. I was not really surprised Tesla would pull this maneuver due to reading the stories posted on this forum but more disappointed.

I had really worked out a tight window with my work to take time off to take delivey, get the proper funds paperwork setup, have a family member take off their work to give me a ride/be there to celebrate my delivery appointment.

I called 2 days before to get confirmation that my vehicle will be ready for my delivery appointment and was assured it was ready and no delays would occur.

What bugs me the most is why did the delivery center pull the 1 hour voicemail bad news routine when they knew the car would not be ready. Here is how I figured out there was no way the vehicle would have been ready for my schedule delivery. When I called 2 days prior to confirm the status of my vehicle I did mention I downloaded the app on my phone but it reported that I had no products linked to my account. The delivery person said it would pair the app with my car about 15 mins prior to my delivery time.

Sure enough I pulled the app and my model 3 was synced to my phone. I could see the charge status, VIN number, #of miles, most importantly the location. It was at a collision auto center 15 miles from the service center (Irvine auto collision center)

I was told either I wait 7-10 days to let the body shop fix it which would involve repainting the car or have to wait 4-6 weeks for tesla to build me another car. I opted for a new vehicle.

Now my tesla account shows I have no VIN number but my balance I owe is still up. I was going to bring a cashier check to the delivery appointment. My tesla app is no longer is paired with a model 3.

I have not heard anything from my sales rep so far regarding a ETA for a replacement vehicle nor a follow up after I finished speaking with the delivery center. I’m just in the dark right now.

My coworkers have been asking did I pick up my vehicle since they knew I was suppose to be picking it up today. They sympathize with my situation and said I definitely made the right choice to refuse delivery and were disappointed to hear about my Tesla experience so far.

This was at the Costa Mesa, California location. VIN 21643, MSM LR RWD, areo

That sucks and I hope you don't have to wait too long for a new Vin. The part that bothers me the most is that why were you not informed ahead of time not 1 hour before delivery. Tesla really needs to improve on the quality checks on their cars but more importantly is just be upfront from the beginning. I would rather know ahead of time so I don't take time off work and bother others as well for rides to pick up my car.

The good news is there are plenty of reports of good delivery experiences so I hope that is the how things are usually done.

Adding - they probably prepped it the day before and caused or discovered the problem at that time. No reason to prep it days earlier and put it back outside, only to have to prep again.

Hopefully they start wrapping these cars for transport and the situation improves.

Reactions: Ulmo
That sucks that they knew about this and didn't give you a heads up. My biggest concern was the condition of the paint when receiving my M3. My wife looked things over real good and made Tesla confirm that what we saw weren't scratches. I ended up washing the car over because it was detailed so poorly.

Damage must be disclosed to the buyer in California if it meets the required amount. When my father ran a number of dealers they would end up repairing vehicles from transport or just being on the lot. Nothing would make him more upset then having to recondition a new car. I remember back then they had to disclose the damage if it was over $500.

Codes Display Text

You meant to say in your title delivery for yesterday, not today. Because I’m pretty sure you weren’t taking delivery in the wee hours this morning (noted the time stamp of your post was 3:58am CA time).

And don’t be ridiculous, they aren’t going to try and reassign the VIN and car to someone else.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
You meant to say in your title delivery for yesterday, not today. Because I’m pretty sure you weren’t taking delivery in the wee hours this morning (noted the time stamp of your post was 3:58am CA time).

And don’t be ridiculous, they aren’t going to try and reassign the VIN and car to someone else.

Sorry but Tesla does try to reassign VINs that are rejected for delivery. Here is a sequence I am close to:
- Car was rejected upon delivery here in Texas due to damage. I recorded the VIN number in alternate thread.
- Tesla repaired car with third party who logged the work onto Carfax report.
- Tesla assigns VIN without telling about damage to new buyer.
- New buyer sees my posting earlier and gets nervous about situation. Pulls the carfax; gets mad at Tesla for not telling; and I think he rejects the car.
- As of last sunday, that car is still on the Tesla lot.

That sucks that they knew about this and didn't give you a heads up. My biggest concern was the condition of the paint when receiving my M3. My wife looked things over real good and made Tesla confirm that what we saw weren't scratches. I ended up washing the car over because it was detailed so poorly.

Damage must be disclosed to the buyer in California if it meets the required amount. When my father ran a number of dealers they would end up repairing vehicles from transport or just being on the lot. Nothing would make him more upset then having to recondition a new car. I remember back then they had to disclose the damage if it was over $500.

Codes Display Text

Or 3% of the vehicle value, whichever is greater. Excluding things that are bolted on as a unit - wheels, hoods, bumpers, fenders. In that case it is 10%.

That allows a lot of repair on a $60k car.

When is normal for the car to show up paired in the app?
I have a delivery scheduled for today at 5, but nothing is paired yet.

My car had a "line" across the bumper that was repainted before I went for delivery. When I picked it up, I didn't see anything (and people I mentioned it to didn't see anything either). For small scratches, I'd rather start enjoying the car now over waiting another 4-6 weeks.

For simple scratches in the paint that have no effect on the body? Of course they will, and why wouldn't they?

Sorry but Tesla does try to reassign VINs that are rejected for delivery. Here is a sequence I am close to:
- Car was rejected upon delivery here in Texas due to damage. I recorded the VIN number in alternate thread.
- Tesla repaired car with third party who logged the work onto Carfax report.
- Tesla assigns VIN without telling about damage to new buyer.
- New buyer sees my posting earlier and gets nervous about situation. Pulls the carfax; gets mad at Tesla for not telling; and I think he rejects the car.
- As of last sunday, that car is still on the Tesla lot.
We're talking about scratches in this case, if your case was something more significant then yes they should have disclosed it, for simple scratches to the paint? Certainly not. Tesla, and all the other dealers across the country regularly do touch up paint and buff out scratches and swirl marks without having, or needing, to disclose anything. This is no different.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61