Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rejected delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is a pretty poor attitude.

That's just aligned with my experience with Vancouver Tesla. With all the incentives from BC/Canada right now, all Tesla sales/delivery center now have to do is to sit and wait for customer to pour in and with the attitude of "if you don't want it someone else will".

I have 4 friends that they ordered their Tesla on May 2-5, they still didn't get their car yet. I assume someone will eventually give in with these poor workmanship as they can't wait any longer (everyone is excited to drive model 3)

I hope Tesla is in here for long run but I'm not too sure with these kinds of attitude.

Aim for cars produced the first month of a new quarter. Too much pressure to produce large amounts in the 2nd and last month of each quarter. Apart from a few minor paint bubbles being addressed soon the car SR+ Blue/black FSD Aero was good. I have 2000 kms now all good. Built April 2019

Wow, sounds like a pain in the a** now maybe because of the introduction of SR/SR+. Tesla simply has too much on their plate to better control the quality of their vehicles. After the delivery of my blue LR, they gave me 72 hours to identify all the problems. Are they still doing this? I've just managed to find 1 small issue which I didn't even bother to bring it in.

Is it true that the new pick up location on West 4th, you have to sign before inspection?
I’ll be there tomorrow morning. I’m not going to sign for a car I haven’t seen yet, that is just a non starter as far as I’m concerned. I really don’t care what they say their procedure is. I know the vin, I can just walk down there in the garage and look for myself.

Reactions: Arcadian
Yeah, I am the person who rejected my delivery yesterday. I ordered a LR AWD white Model 3 with black interior. I probably should have taken pictures to share, but I want to provide my delivery experience at the Vancouver Powell location.

Arriving at the delivery centre, it was actually less busy than what I expected. It had structure and I felt that people were being processed at a fair speed, given the popularity of the vehicle. They were running a few minutes late and my original intended delivery appointment at 1:00PM was more like 1:30PM. That didn't bother me and they at least had some beverages to tie you over and the weather was great.

Around 1:15PM, the delivery manager wanted to show me my car, but it actually wasn't there. To speed things up, he wanted me to start the paper work before my car was even there. I declined, but I must have been asked to do paper work at least three times. I didn't feel pressure to sign, but it was clear he preferred to do all the paper work upfront before even looking at the car.

When the car arrived, the delivery manager didn't check up on me. I thought this was great because I didn't have pressure and I could spend as much time as I wanted with inspecting the car. The issues that lead to my rejection were:
  • Front bumper (The part of the bumper underneath the fog lights). The finish was very rough and ragged. It was very visible upfront. If I were to run my finger fast across it, it would have cut. I was taking delivery with two other SR+ white model 3's beside mine and theirs were smooth.

• Gap between the left front headlight had a paint chip.

• Rear side panel had adhesive leftovers. Very visible and when this was pointed out, they were able to buff it out, but it left scratches on the car.

• Rear passenger door has a portion of the door seals bubbling out.

• Headlights drooped down. It's almost like the headlights wasn't aligned properly. All the white model 3's had this issue. Blue and black model 3's seemed better aligned for some reason.

• The panelling beside the left headlight looked like it was sitting above the panel it was connecting to. All the white model 3's had this issue, but mine was more pronounced. Oddly enough, the black and blue model 3's were not exactly flush, but much better and within reason that it wouldn't have been a problem.
As for inconsistencies with the panel gaps, it didn't bother me and I thought it was reasonable. The chrome trims were leveled correctly as well. I didn't really check the interior as carefully, but it seemed solid. There was a stained thumbprint on my roof headliner which most likely could have been removed, but I imagine someone didn't wash their hands after lunch when they were installing it.

I guess I'm just a bit disappointed because I really love Tesla. I still intend on getting one, but I have to admit it left a bad taste. I think delivery personnel could have done this better. The manager said the paint chip would be taken care of, but he had to ask if smoothing out the front bumper was possible because it could be within spec. Fortunately, he got permission, so they at least could have fixed that. They offered to use double sided tape to fix the door seal bubbling, but all the other issues would not be fixed.

Personally, I didn't really mind the manager. I feel for him. I'm sure he has been working long hours to get through delivery. I feel like they need to step back and address quality. Reasons given to me about quality was that if I was following Tesla for a while, I should expect issues because that's what they are known for. That wasn't his exact words, but this is actually what he meant. All that I hope is that delivery staff are taking notes and at least letting Tesla know. I didn't get any sense of that during my delivery experience. I love Tesla for their iterative design, so I hope the right information is being communicated.

In the end, I rejected delivery because of these issues and my car showed the worst issues compared to the other white models. I'm not sure what about the white models are different in that the build quality seems off compared to the other colours, but when you pay extra for it, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect similar quality. I hope it's a batch issue and probably will try my luck in a few months instead or even delay it for the year. I'm currently going through the refund process, but there doesn't seem to be any issue with that. I'll update if there is an issue with refunding.
I had the same issues with my white car. Exactly the same bumper issues you show and on the same side. After I purchased, service fixed everything except for where the hood near the windshield was lower on one side. They said if they start adjusting that, it would throw something else out of alignment. So I left it. My sunroof was sticking up higher than the windshield on passenger side in front. They Replaced the sunroof but it still sticks up a little bit but it is within specs. Door trim pieces were not aligned and they fixed.

A couple nicks on back bumper panel area but so minor I left it. It’s terrible these come out like this but I stuck with it because I love the car and know there isn’t a perfect car.

I was really hoping quality was improving. This all makes me very worried. I'm waiting for a LR RWD that I ordered in March and was expecting delivery this week. I was told late last week that due to the high volumes of deliveries I might not get a car until after June 30th. I won't have the opportunity to inspect the car before taking delivery because I'm too far from a store and the car will be shipped from my home.

We had a very similar experience - we went to pick up our 2019 MS 75D, made us do the paperwork before we could see the car (dumb move on our part). Then too excited to pay attention to auto detail and listened to the kid handling the delivery, who was a new employee and didn't know much if anything about the MS.

We took the MS directly down the street to a shop for lifetime ceramic coating and full clear bra - shop notifies us there are at least 4-5 paint flaws, where dirt and bits of debris are IN the red paint, painted over and then clear coated over.

Tesla service in Scottsdale said to my face very rudely, paint it not warranted, we won't help you, if you don't like it, just return the car within 7 days." Unbelievable. So I tried an approach w/ our sales manager, provided the high-res images and the $2,800 estimate to resolve the issue, but they said the same thing.

I said, really? Do you know how dumb that sounds? So, rather than keeping our money for a car paid in full and keep us on the road and happy and to tell our story to add to the Tesla buzz, they said they would rather take the car back, wrangle w/ the title, registration, wasted hours of labor, time, money, and other resources to manage this handling to return to inventory, clean up, move, advertise, etc., and then sell to another driver as now a used car (w/ more than 50 miles) at a significantly discounted price, I'm guessing 3-5 times less than the cost of the paint repair. Kind of cocky and not a good business model. But we kept it and will absorb the cost, so I guess we are to blame, eh?

Reactions: tongw