Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rejected Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, so let’s fire the sales person for saying something negative to the customer about quality control but let’s not fire the guy that lets these cars leave the plant in this condition. Okay that makes sense.

Also, I didn’t notice the door panel until I was halfway home from picking up the car and when I brought it back the next day I had to convince a different sales guy to come out and look at the car and he said he would be surprised if that was missed because the techs go over the car prior to delivery. Amongst some other lies that he told me, he finally comes out to my car and see the panel and says, yeah that’s not right. But yeah let’s not fire that guy either. Let’s fire the honest guy that tells how it is.
I see your point. They look over (supposedly) many cars a day. Non-stop monotony of seeing the same thing over and over. I can see some flaws being overlooked accidentally. I've learned a lot reading experiences on this forum to know exactly what to look for using the checklist. I'll be bringing my spouse with me also to get a second set of eyes to be thorough.

The tech said the trim clips that hold it in are very brittle and broke so he had to order a new one. The rubber seal can not be reused and they didn’t give him one. The tech did it at my house and he is amazing. Very responsive and knowledgeable.

I was hoping that people couldn’t tell where my car was picked up because I didn’t want to blast that store but two techs looked at it and agreed it wasn’t right. I wasn’t so sure they could fix it and was happily surprised a new door panel could fix it.
Well thank you for the pics. I recognized the store since I've been there a few times in the past for test drives. I take everything with a grain of salt, and pass judgement off my own experiences. But it's good to put some stores in the spotlight so others are aware. I live in Odenton, not sure if mobile service would travel that far for appointments.

My comment isn't anything about their QC ... It's terrible. Mine had no heat or AC when I took delivery. 9 months after ordering, waited almost another month for it to sit at the SC. Those that have pics of their rejected car I'd believe. What I don't believe is that an SA would discourage someone from ultimately taking delivery.

@patgilm you took delivery of that? I would have definitely rejected that one. I'd have rejected the one I got if I had realized the heat and ac didn't work.

I did take delivery because I didn’t have much choice since I sold my other car and I needed one and couldn’t wait another month. Of course right around the time I picked mine up I saw they had Plaids in inventory and had I known that I probably would have refused. Before I took delivery I had them touch up everything and didn’t notice the door panel issue until I was halfway home. I tried to go back and return it a day later with 30 miles on it but they said no (was hoping the 7 day return policy still existed). For whatever reason the door panel bothered me most because it was in my line of sight every time I drove it.

Well thank you for the pics. I recognized the store since I've been there a few times in the past for test drives. I take everything with a grain of salt, and pass judgement off my own experiences. But it's good to put some stores in the spotlight so others are aware. I live in Odenton, not sure if mobile service would travel that far for appointments.
I’m in Crofton so if you see a white Plaid rolling around it’s probably me.

Oh and mobile service does travel out to our area.

Last edited:
Was eager to finally get this new car. Refused to pay in advance until I saw the car, and glad I did, showed up with a cashier check and began to inspect.

Found paint blemishes all around the car. Over spray run off, dust under the clear, dirt under the clear on a white car which is very visible, bumps over the paint, touch up which was very obvious after they scratched the paint during assembly. Miss-alignment of the bumper, fender and doors, scratched sills, window seals not aligned and other issues to name a few. Didn't even bother with the interior inspection. Had I not notified them requesting an itemized list of missing items I would have seen a car with the 3 covers in the trunk and floor mats missing. I know they threw some used ones as it was clear they were not new.

The service rep was very cool about it, he admit you will not get quality with Tesla sadly, he has been working there for a few years and said the next one could be worse, hopefully better. With all the issues found it would be in the body shop for at least a month or two, so it only made sense to wait for the next one and hope it is better than this one.

It really is a shame and disappointing, the quality control is downright dreadful, when you spend this kind of money you expect higher quality control. I don't frankly care about the excuses, every dealership is facing the same problems, Tesla needs to do better, period.
Did you take pictures? what location you took delivery from? what is the VIN number or last digits to help folks here avoid this car as Tesla will still try to sell it as new.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Yeah, I'm extremely disappointed. We went to get our model S today and it had a terrible buff job done, looked like someone took sand paper to random spots and spider webs all over. My 98 accord had a better paint job 😭we've waited 7 months and absolutely couldn't accept it. The manager had the nerve to say " well we don't do black well, that's why you pay more for it and aren't you just going to wrap it anyways....." Hopefully the next one will come soon and not be such a bad experience. So sad that we had to reject it. Drove 2 hrs just to have to turn around and drive back home without the car.

Reactions: chrisdh79
Yeah, I'm extremely disappointed. We went to get our model S today and it had a terrible buff job done, looked like someone took sand paper to random spots and spider webs all over. My 98 accord had a better paint job 😭we've waited 7 months and absolutely couldn't accept it. The manager had the nerve to say " well we don't do black well, that's why you pay more for it and aren't you just going to wrap it anyways....." Hopefully the next one will come soon and not be such a bad experience. So sad that we had to reject it. Drove 2 hrs just to have to turn around and drive back home without the car.
Did you take pictures? What VIN? Location? So other can avoid it

Here's the damage on just the hood for proof, it definitely happens.

Attachments

• 20220225_182945.jpg
    20220225_182945.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 110
  • Funny
Reactions: oktane
You won't be the first or the last. I'm waiting on my second S and the model x got pushed out to July.

You won't be the first or the last. I'm waiting on my second S and the model x got pushed out to July.
We told them not to touch the car when it comes off the truck, leave the plastic on it and don't detail it in any way. I highly doubt this car came to them in this condition. Who buffs a brand new car 😲 sorry you're having a rough go of it too! The service center people definitely made us feel like we were being extra but I think the picture of the hood tells the story well.

Posted a picture below, Cincinnati OH. Vin attached 😉I'm sure they will talk some poor soul into taking it and letting their body shop repair it-- we said heck no!The vin is: 5YJSA1E56NF472213
That not what i meant. So sorry for your experience.

At least everyone here will avoid that car bcz Tesla will still try to re sell it as new.

That not what i meant. So sorry for your experience.

At least everyone here will avoid that car bcz Tesla will still try to re sell it as new.
Oh yeah, they are definitely going to tell the next person to come get their Tesla, it's ready now....just hate that they felt it was acceptable to present an expensive car in that condition and obviously their staff just doesn't care, they just want to get it out the door by whatever means necessary.

We told them not to touch the car when it comes off the truck, leave the plastic on it and don't detail it in any way. I highly doubt this car came to them in this condition. Who buffs a brand new car 😲 sorry you're having a rough go of it too! The service center people definitely made us feel like we were being extra but I think the picture of the hood tells the story well.
Nothing surprises me when it comes to Tesla. My dealer reps were actually very cool and candid about the quality of these cars and had no issues with me rejecting it. Started looking at Porsche but range sucks.

Wow. Is this just shoddy detail work or is there actual damage?
There was compound all over the car and definitely actually damage, tiny scratches all over. We took a microfiber and some wax/detailing spray and it did nothing, the paint is blotchy all over and almost no clear coat left. It's like they tried to remove a deep scratch with a buffer, all over the car 😔

Reactions: 2101Guy
Nothing surprises me when it comes to Tesla. My dealer reps were actually very cool and candid about the quality of these cars and had no issues with me rejecting it. Started looking at Porsche but range sucks.
Yeah, the bad part is that I want the car and nothing else compares. I know it's possible to get one that's next to flawless(nothing is "perfect", standards aren't the issue).. I've seen them and it's the reason I wanted it in the first place. I know that's the same boat everyone else is in too, that's why they take so long to get.

With time more mainstream mfg will offer similar range if not better, right now its limited unless you want to get a lucid which means you have to wait probably over a year for the 170k model. It's just luck of the draw at this point