Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rejected Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I rejected delivery today due to a list of issues that got way worse when I started to look inside the car. The 2 straws that broke the camels back were a black passenger door interior panel when the rest of the car is white, and missing interior trim for the falcon wing door.

For those that rejected, how long did it take to get another VIN?

I wouldn’t reject for those reasons — those can be fixed in a few days with no mechanical or invasive issues involved.

It's fixable but it may take time to book for the repairs, got canceled to wait for the parts, rebook again. May need a day off. May not have a loaner...

Buying a new car should not be inconvenienced to fix things that are fixable in the quality assurance department before the car is shipped to local delivery.

Once it's shipped to local delivery, it could be fixed prior to the delivery rather than letting the owners do the quality controls.

Last edited:
It's fixable but it may take time to book for the repairs, got canceled to wait for the parts, rebook again. May need a day off. May not have a loaner...

Buying a new should not be inconvenienced to fix things that are fixable in the quality assurance department before the car is shipped to local delivery.

Once it's shipped to local delivery, it could be fixed prior to the delivery rather than letting the owners do the quality controls.
All true but is it worth waiting possibly another 2 months to get a car?

I wouldn’t reject for those reasons — those can be fixed in a few days with no mechanical or invasive issues involved.
Those were the 2 things that pushed me over the rejection hump. There was a list building up prior to that that I was willing to deal with.

If I can see those issues, what is there that I can’t see?

If those were the only 2 things, I would deal with it. But the car was filthy from sitting in a dirt pit since november, had numerous paint issues that may or may not have been able to be buffed out, and there was a layer of dirt covering the white seats, every seat.

If it were December 2021, I would take the car. However there’s plenty of time until December 2022, and I can wait. It’s one thing for them to let me know that there is a parts shortage and they haven’t had the time to order the parts to replace prior to delivery, it’s another thing to let me go look at the car as if no one has bothered to do a once over on the interior.

I looked at the other X that haven’t been prepped for delivery yet and it’s obvious that the one matched to me needed to be rejected.

Last edited:
Or even having your order canceled and losing your pricing.
they don’t cancel for obvious f-ups. The delivery staff said this was a very legitimate reason to reject. People have rejected for petty things. They said multiple times it was embarrassing and apologized.

If these aren’t reasons to reject, then I don’t know what is. By some of the reasoning here, there’s no reason to reject because everything can be “fixed”

I’m someone that accepted my model 3 without thoroughly inspecting and found a list of issues later that required a new bumper and multiple sc trips. I don’t want to deal with that again

Last edited:
I rejected delivery today due to a list of issues that got way worse when I started to look inside the car. The 2 straws that broke the camels back were a black passenger door interior panel when the rest of the car is white, and missing interior trim for the falcon wing door.

For those that rejected, how long did it take to get another VIN?
What's your X configuration?
What was your delivery location?

they don’t cancel for obvious f-ups. The delivery staff said this was a very legitimate reason to reject. People have rejected for petty things. They said multiple times it was embarrassing and apologized.

If these aren’t reasons to reject, then I don’t know what is. By some of the reasoning here, there’s no reason to reject because everything can be “fixed”

I’m someone that accepted my model 3 without thoroughly inspecting and found a list of issues later that required a new bumper and multiple sc trips. I don’t want to deal with that again

That was not my point. I would have rejected a 2021 to even if it was perfect. Tesla has no business pawning off the previous model year. When car companies get year X, year X-1 always gets a discount otherwise you'd just by X. A 2021 X made on 12/31 will be worth $15K to $20K less in resale on kbb for at least the next 4 to 5 years.

That said, my point is that Tesla has canceled everyone's order for a particular trim of vehicle when that trim was no longer available. The longer it takes to get your vehicle the bigger chance they'll make some major change that kicks everyone off their current pricing. They've done it before. The risk is much higher when the current prices are so much higher than low locked in prices from months ago or longer.

That was not my point. I would have rejected a 2021 to even if it was perfect. Tesla has no business pawning off the previous model year. When car companies get year X, year X-1 always gets a discount otherwise you'd just by X. A 2021 X made on 12/31 will be worth $15K to $20K less in resale on kbb for at least the next 4 to 5 years.

That said, my point is that Tesla has canceled everyone's order for a particular trim of vehicle when that trim was no longer available. The longer it takes to get your vehicle the bigger chance they'll make some major change that kicks everyone off their current pricing. They've done it before. The risk is much higher when the current prices are so much higher than low locked in prices from months ago or longer.
That doesn't seem to be happening currently. Everyone with a 5/7 Plaid got the 6 seats for free.

That doesn't seem to be happening currently. Everyone with a 5/7 Plaid got the 6 seats for free.

Not everyone. Read the thread. Several got calls offering to upgrade to 6 seat from 5 for an extra $6500 with frantic requests for written proof from other members that they got it for free so they could fight for it.

That said, you pointed out an example where some got a free upgrade. There are plenty of other examples for different config changes that broke price locks.

I rejected delivery of MX Plaid today. Several panels were severely misaligned. Some scratches on the paint. Interior was dirty (which was weird for a car with 12 miles on the odometer). On closer inspection the car looked like it had been sitting outside for quite some time (even had the old Plaid badge instead of the updated one). Very disappointing but completely expected at this point (this is my 3rd Tesla).

I rejected delivery of MX Plaid today. Several panels were severely misaligned. Some scratches on the paint. Interior was dirty (which was weird for a car with 12 miles on the odometer). On closer inspection the car looked like it had been sitting outside for quite some time (even had the old Plaid badge instead of the updated one). Very disappointing but completely expected at this point (this is my 3rd Tesla).

Was it a 2021 VIN?

Yeah at this point I would look over any field model with extreme scrutiny. Here's to hoping our next VINs are March or later builds.

What did they tell you as far as what to expect in the future?

Buying a new car should not be inconvenienced to fix things that are fixable in the quality assurance department before the car is shipped to local delivery.

Unfortunately, this seems like an EOQ push. I wouldn’t have taken it either for the reasons you cite.