Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

REJECTED my MODEL Y TODAY..VIN 48,878 in Dania Beach, Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dont let what you read deter you. As you said, you had a model 3 with no issues. I too had a model 3 with no issues and just got a model Y on Wednesday with no issues. I was concerned like you and told my SA to make sure it’s has no quality issues. He checked and assured me before delivery and I checked myself and saw no issues. Remember you won’t see ppl with good cars here complaining, they out enjoying their cars.

I want to be clear that I believe the people that post here. I’m just saying what is true for some is not true for all.

Same here. Had an M3 for two years, 90000km and loved it. Picked up my Y a couple of weeks ago - a few minor things that service sorted out within a week. Loving it. There are many of us. :)

• Love
Reactions: Reborn and Dennisis
Same here. Had an M3 for two years, 90000km and loved it. Picked up my Y a couple of weeks ago - a few minor things that service sorted out within a week. Loving it. There are many of us. :)

I don't think anyone here would fork over >$55K if they didn't believe there were a great many happy owners out there. I also know that Tesla will occasionally present a bad car to a customer at delivery.

My advice is that if you can't live with the condition your car as it sits at delivery, then sit tight and wait for the next.

Last edited:
@tdwin2000 when you say, "I also told them I DO NOT want a Y that has a factory gate date before October 1st." what do you mean by that? How can you get ascertain this information?
The gate date is approximately when the car rolls off the line. Asking for a car with a newer than X gate date, depending on what date you actually give them and the current date, could prevent you from matching against a rejected vehicle.

You can't find this information yourself. Only Tesla know it.

The gate date is approximately when the car rolls off the line. Asking for a car with a newer than X gate date, depending on what date you actually give them and the current date, could prevent you from matching against a rejected vehicle.

I suspect a lot of build issues come down to human beings making mistakes on the line. Likely with Tesla there is more scope for that because they're still fairly new at manufacturing and have less mature quality systems. Personally I don't think it's about dates or periods of high demand, it's whether that less skilled/diligent worker happens to work on your car and makes a mistake, and whether the issue gets spotted. This is hard stuff to solve - they need to identify and train/fire those individuals, plus over time modify processes/equipment/parts so it's harder to make mistakes. I'm sure they're doing both but it takes time and it's not easy.

You are correct. You can only get this info from Tesla but all you have to do is ask. My point was exactly as you say, to avoid getting a Y that was already a reject from another customer. My factory gate date on my Y was Sept 9th. Car was setup for delivery on Sept 26 on east cost to allow for travel time.

I do believe that MOST of the production vehicles are in good shape, some have defects people will never see or know about, and some are just made poorly like the defect the one we were supposed to take had. None of the other 10+ MY's on their lot had the same issue as the Y we were supposed to take home. Kept my order open and just waiting for a new vehicle.

I suspect a lot of build issues come down to human beings making mistakes on the line. Likely with Tesla there is more scope for that because they're still fairly new at manufacturing and have less mature quality systems. Personally I don't think it's about dates or periods of high demand, it's whether that less skilled/diligent worker happens to work on your car and makes a mistake, and whether the issue gets spotted. This is hard stuff to solve - they need to identify and train/fire those individuals, plus over time modify processes/equipment/parts so it's harder to make mistakes. I'm sure they're doing both but it takes time and it's not easy.

I mostly agree except that I believe they allow a permissive culture. Unanswered phones and emails, mail boxes full, continual quality flaws of same kind, minimum ways for customers to complain. In short they are obviously NOT following up.

I mostly agree except that I believe they allow a permissive culture. Unanswered phones and emails, mail boxes full, continual quality flaws of same kind, minimum ways for customers to complain. In short they are obviously NOT following up.
Lots of owners have gotten the "there's plenty of people in line who will take it" response to a rejected vehicle. This highlights the current lack of accountability. Instead of a focus on fixing the problem, there's actually some incentive to conceal it. IMO, the most obvious indication of this is the grease on the headliners. It would take almost no effort to put protections in place to stop this, and yet it hasn't happened and is a recurring issue.

I can't say I'm quite as optimistic they'll fix it as some here are. On this very site we were having the exact same conversations and building the same checklists in 2013. If anything, it seems worse now than it was back then, not better.

Reactions: outdoors and ks1972
If we “collectively” tolerate this crap (poor fit & finish), then it will keep happening... then again, at delivery of my PYD (replacing a P85), the “soft bigotry of low expectations” placed me on a scale somewhere between a Yugo and a ‘71 Dodge Dart... so I accepted delivery of the car )with misaligned rear hatch, paint issue on front “A” pillar, a small paint chip in the passenger door and both drivers’ side windows scratched) knowing full well that: a) everything would be fixed to my satisfaction, but not on THAT day; b) if I refused delivery, it would be 4-6 weeks at a minimum to get a replacement WHICH COULD EASILY HAVE SIMILAR (or worse) ISSUES; and c) my trade-in valuation might change.

You pick you battles. It took two-three weeks, but car is fine and it is a wonderful driving experience.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Actually it's pretty sad that Kia build quality is better than Tesla. But then again so are most other mainstream manufacturers. I'm not knocking Tesla's products. It's just when the SC tells me the car has gone through it's PDI and all is good and I find a very noticeable flaw like the windshield I have to wonder what else could be wrong that they missed.

I keep cars 6 plus years and don't want to have issues before I even take the car home. Why does their delivery system have to be "we will fix whatever you find wrong with the car". Why can't they just build a car with less flaws. I have owned Audi, Lexus, Mercedes and NEVER had to look for panel gaps or defects of any kind. With those mainstream cars you just have to make sure nobody dinged your car in the lot before you take it home. And, I am a shareholder of Tesla stock and have been since 2013 so I want the company to do well.

VW is going to release their new ID.4 soon and Ford will be releasing their new MACH-E electric SUV. Tesla needs to step up the build quality or I'm afraid people will start to look elsewhere regardless of how well their cars drive.

Your writing is good. Good grammar and spelling. Keep adding those full line breaks and you're in business. I think you may have made the right decision in rejecting the car, but couldn't Tesla have fixed those issues? The thumbnail slice in the seat would have bothered me the most. It seems rubber trim could be added easily.

There must be a law of automotive ownership whereby it is forbidden to take a photo from a reasonable distance. ! 3X close up only !

But yeah, they need to improve quality. We could fill an almanac with the vast array of 'within spec' panel alignments.