Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

REJECTED my MODEL Y TODAY..VIN 48,878 in Dania Beach, Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we were SO excited to pick up our Model Y today. White/White with 20" wheels and FSD. I have read many posts about the numerous defects to watch out for and some that are fixable and some that are more serious. We arrived about 20 minutes early and of course saw our Model Y sitting all shined up out front. We were planning on trading in our 2014 Santa Fe. Before I even went inside to tell them I was there, I started to inspect the vehicle.

The front trunk was off and lower the whole way around the front lip (not a big deal as I know from my 2018 Model 3 I own that's an easy adjustment). Doors seemed to be okay. The drivers door towards the bottom half was a little more pushed in than the rear door as you could see the wider seam towards the bottom half of the door (again, probably not a big deal..the black trim along the top seemed to match up fine...and not too wide a gap where the black trim on top meets from the drivers door to the rear door). My rear seats inside had the one on the passenger side sitting much more forward than the middle seat next to it. The middle aligned fine with the rear seat on driver's side. And, it looked like someone tried to fix it by pushing on it as there was a curved shape tear in the seat that literally had the shape of a fingernail (but pierced the top of the seat to make a small tear). They said they could replace the seat material (why would I want to start replacing parts on my new car)?

But...the thing that bothered me the most and a total manufacturing defect was the bottom drivers side edge of the windshield. The rubber trim was missing and you could see about 5 to 6 inches long of white paint. The edge of the windshield was at least 1/4" away from the black plastic piece and no rubber trim on the corner. The top of the windshield where it meets the roof was flush and tight against the roof glass. So the sales person said it's probably just that the black plastic piece is too far forward. Not good enough for me to buy a Y at over $60K hoping it's fixed after I take it home and that there won't be wind noise or worse yet leaking.

I posted some pictures of what it looks like and a couple other model Y's of how it should look. Out of about 12 other Model Y's on the lot waiting for delivery, NOT ONE other Y had this issue. And, when i went inside to tell them I was rejecting it the other salesgirl yelled out "is that a white/white with 20" rims"? She said she has people that have been waiting for that combo and would have it sold today. REALLY??? Probably not going to disclose the defects for fix them unless someone with an eye for finding that stuff like myself finds it. Was she trying to get me to change my mind or just make me feel bad for not taking the car I have been waiting for so long? Then, they told me that I probably won't get a new Y same combination until early to mid November. REALLY??? I'm sure it will be sooner than that. I also told them I DO NOT want a Y that has a factory gate date before October 1st. I don't want them to try to push off a rejected Y from someone else on me. I'm even thinking of taking delivery at a different Tesla service center. They told me my car came in yesterday at around 4 in the afternoon. They told me it was inspected. If so, why all the problems with it. The front trunk alone was the most obvious to fix and easy to fix.

Why if it was inspected wasn't that taken care of? 2 Pictures of my car with the white paint showing and two different white Model Y's the way it should be. Even the rubber piece on the car I was supposed to take you can see is loose and not up against the windshield. BTW, the two cars that had it done correctly were VIN 32,xxx and a 39,xxx. The 32,xxx was a customers car that happened to be there. The 39,xxx was a new White Y waiting to be delivered (weird that it was about 10K numbers away from my vehicle but I know they aren't always pulled at the same time). Also, is it me or does my VIN on the one I rejected seem weird. The 9th digit which is a NUMBER on ALL model Y's I have seen is an X on the one I was buying. What is that 9th digit for and why was mine the only one I have seen that is a letter and not a number?

[Moderator's note: Tried to add some paragraph breaks for readability]

Attachments

• 20200927_143559.jpg
    20200927_143559.jpg
    485.2 KB · Views: 277
  • received_705595146970374.jpeg
    received_705595146970374.jpeg
    334.1 KB · Views: 236
  • received_1007930586286007.jpeg
    received_1007930586286007.jpeg
    316.2 KB · Views: 217
  • received_2762007374069387.jpeg
    received_2762007374069387.jpeg
    322.5 KB · Views: 221
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: imola.zhp
Did you take pictures of the other defects? Can you post them?
I didn't take pics of the other defects as I knew I wasn't taking the car based on the windshield area. The SA said it's probably the black trim plastic moulding that does across the whole front length of the windshield that is not installed correctly. If I had an option for them to fix it BEFORE i signed the paperwork to make it mine and saw that it was done correctly and no wind noise when driving I would have taken delivery.
That's my point. Why don't they fix things BEFORE the customer gets to see the car? Makes more sense to me.

I didn't take pics of the other defects as I knew I wasn't taking the car based on the windshield area. The SA said it's probably the black trim plastic moulding that does across the whole front length of the windshield that is not installed correctly. If I had an option for them to fix it BEFORE i signed the paperwork to make it mine and saw that it was done correctly and no wind noise when driving I would have taken delivery.
That's my point. Why don't they fix things BEFORE the customer gets to see the car? Makes more sense to me.

The other SA you overheard spelled it out for you; they will just go down the line until they find a sucker who will take it. If they have to go through 2 or 3 more people then that's what they'll do. I've been one of those suckers, and I gotta tell you, I don't recommend it. Any disappointment and/or inconvenience you're feeling at the moment pales in comparison to what you would've gone through to get those issues resolved.

Tesla is a great car, but only if you can get a good one.

So we were SO excited to pick up our Model Y today. White/White with 20" wheels and FSD. I have read many posts about the numerous defects to watch out for and some that are fixable and some that are more serious. We arrived about 20 minutes early and of course saw our Model Y sitting all shined up out front. We were planning on trading in our 2014 Santa Fe. Before I even went inside to tell them I was there, I started to inspect the vehicle. The front trunk was off and lower the whole way around the front lip (not a big deal as I know from my 2018 Model 3 I own that's an easy adjustment). Doors seemed to be okay. The drivers door towards the bottom half was a little more pushed in than the rear door as you could see the wider seam towards the bottom half of the door (again, probably not a big deal..the black trim along the top seemed to match up fine...and not too wide a gap where the black trim on top meets from the drivers door to the rear door). My rear seats inside had the one on the passenger side sitting much more forward than the middle seat next to it. The middle aligned fine with the rear seat on driver's side. And, it looked like someone tried to fix it by pushing on it as there was a curved shape tear in the seat that literally had the shape of a finger nail (but pierced the top of the seat to make a small tear). They said they could replace the seat material (why would I want to start replacing parts on my new car)? But...the thing that bothered me the most and a total manufacturing defect was the bottom drivers side edge of the windshield. The rubber trim was missing and you could see about 5 to 6 inches long of white paint. The edge of the windshield was at least 1/4" away from the black plastic piece and no rubber trim on the corner. The top of the windshield where it meets the roof was flush and tight against the roof glass. So the sales person said it's probably just that the black plastic piece is too far forward. Not good enough for me to buy a Y at over $60K hoping it's fixed after I take it home and that there won't be wind noise or worse yet leaking. I posted some pictures of what it looks like and a couple other model Y's of how it should look. Out of about 12 other Model Y's on the lot waiting for delivery, NOT ONE other Y had this issue. And, when i went inside to tell them I was rejecting it the other salesgirl yelled out "is that a white/white with 20" rims"? She said she has people that have been waiting for that combo and would have it sold today. REALLY??? Probably not going to disclose the defects for fix them unless someone with an eye for finding that stuff like myself finds it. Was she trying to get me to change my mind or just make me feel bad for not taking the car I have been waiting for so long? Then, they told me that I probably won't get a new Y same combination until early to mid November. REALLY??? I'm sure it will be sooner than that. I also told them I DO NOT want a Y that has a factory gate date before October 1st. I don't want them to try to push off a rejected Y from someone else on me. I'm even thinking of taking delivery at a different Tesla service center. They told me my car came in yesterday at around 4 in the afternoon. They told me it was inspected. If so, why all the problems with it. The front trunk alone was the most obvious to fix and easy to fix. Why if it was inspected wasn't that taken care of? 2 Pictures of my car with the white paint showing and two different white Model Y's the way it should be. Even the rubber piece on the car I was supposed to take you can see is loose and not up against the windshield. BTW, the two cars that had it done correctly were VIN 32,xxx and a 39,xxx. The 32,xxx was a customers car that happened to be there. The 39,xxx was a new White Y waiting to be delivered (weird that it was about 10K numbers away from my vehicle but I know they aren't always pulled at the same time). Also, is it me or does my VIN on the one I rejected seem weird. The 9th digit which is a NUMBER on ALL model Y's I have seen is an X on the one I was buying. What is that 9th digit for and why was mine the only one I have seen that is a letter and not a number?
I can’t tell what’s wrong with the top two pics. There’s supposed to be a gap/opening on each side of the windshield corners.

Reactions: AquaY and richyrich
Based on ALL of your previous posts you had Reject on your mind Long before you ever picked it up Sooo you got your wish and somebody without a microscope will thoroughly enjoy their new car! Might consider a Honda.
I kind of agree with you. I was going in being very cautious. The seats not lining up I would have taken as I know they have seen that problem and I know they have fixed it.
I know Tesla very well as I own a Model 3 I picked up new in August 2018. Had NO issues with it at all at delivery. Going to try this again with a different Model Y and hope for the best. Funny thing is I just leased a new Kia Forte GT (cool car by the way) a month ago for one of my sons and no issues with the car at all. A $24K car no issues at all. Why can't Tesla get their sh-t together on build quality?

I kind of agree with you. I was going in being very cautious. The seats not lining up I would have taken as I know they have seen that problem and I know they have fixed it.
I know Tesla very well as I own a Model 3 I picked up new in August 2018. Had NO issues with it at all at delivery. Going to try this again with a different Model Y and hope for the best. Funny thing is I just leased a new Kia Forte GT (cool car by the way) a month ago for one of my sons and no issues with the car at all. A $24K car no issues at all. Why can't Tesla get their sh-t together on build quality?

While it won't work at the end of the quarter, I suggest on your next delivery asking the SC contact to delay delivery if the car isn't right.

Dont let what you read deter you. As you said, you had a model 3 with no issues. I too had a model 3 with no issues and just got a model Y on Wednesday with no issues. I was concerned like you and told my SA to make sure it’s has no quality issues. He checked and assured me before delivery and I checked myself and saw no issues. Remember you won’t see ppl with good cars here complaining, they out enjoying their cars.

I want to be clear that I believe the people that post here. I’m just saying what is true for some is not true for all.

There you go, get another great quality Kia and be happy, problem solved....

There you go, get another great quality Kia and be happy, problem solved....
Actually it's pretty sad that Kia build quality is better than Tesla. But then again so are most other mainstream manufacturers. I'm not knocking Tesla's products. It's just when the SC tells me the car has gone through it's PDI and all is good and I find a very noticeable flaw like the windshield I have to wonder what else could be wrong that they missed.

I keep cars 6 plus years and don't want to have issues before I even take the car home. Why does their delivery system have to be "we will fix whatever you find wrong with the car". Why can't they just build a car with less flaws. I have owned Audi, Lexus, Mercedes and NEVER had to look for panel gaps or defects of any kind. With those mainstream cars you just have to make sure nobody dinged your car in the lot before you take it home. And, I am a shareholder of Tesla stock and have been since 2013 so I want the company to do well.

VW is going to release their new ID.4 soon and Ford will be releasing their new MACH-E electric SUV. Tesla needs to step up the build quality or I'm afraid people will start to look elsewhere regardless of how well their cars drive.