Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rejected Tesla Model Y Performance Delivery (6/18/20)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model Y Performance in Midnight Silver Metallic
VIN# 096XX
Scheduled for Delivery: 6/18/20
Did not get a confirmation until 5:12pm PDT at one of the Fremont Tesla Delivery Centers

So I went to take delivery of my Model Y Performance and was very excited. Got to one of the Tesla delivery centers on Fremont Blvd. (Not the Fremont Factory). Accepted the delivery via web browser on my iPhone and managed to pair the Model Y to my Tesla App "Phone Key".

After going inside the vehicle and playing around with the screen settings, I decided to give the car a thorough walkthrough before driving it off. Well, this is where the excitement stops. I found so many panel gaps, scratches and residue on the plastic fender pieces around the car. I found misalignments on the trunk, hood, passenger side taillights, door panels, you name it. There were also paint imperfections and a dent on the left rear passenger door. Oh, and a rock chip on the passenger wheel.

Instead of me rambling on, please take a look for yourself. Tesla Model Y Performance Delivery (Rejected on 6/18/20)

Long story short, I rejected delivery. My Tesla Advisor even came onsite to take a look and take photos/notes. He went to the back of the building and spoke to the Delivery Manager. The Manager himself suggested I reject the delivery and apologized. We will see what happens after this.

More updates to follow.

Reactions: Reeler and mac9899
What happens when you reject delivery, in terms of the monetary transaction?

If you provided funds when you accepted the car online, does the transaction still go through, or does the transaction process get halted?

VIN# 096XX
Did not get a confirmation until 5:12pm PDT at one of the Fremont Tesla Delivery Centers

So I went to take delivery of my Model Y Performance and was very excited. Got to one of the Tesla delivery centers on Fremont Blvd. (Not the Fremont Factory). Accepted the delivery via web browser on my iPhone and managed to pair the Model Y to my Tesla App "Phone Key".

After going inside the vehicle and playing around with the screen settings, I decided to give the car a thorough walkthrough before driving it off. Well, this is where the excitement stops. I found so many panel gaps, scratches and residue on the plastic fender pieces around the car. I found misalignments on the trunk, hood, passenger side taillights, door panels, you name it. There were also paint imperfections and a dent on the left rear passenger door. Oh, and a rock chip on the passenger wheel.

Instead of me rambling on, please take a look for yourself. Tesla Model Y Performance Delivery (Rejected on 6/18/20)

Long story short, I rejected delivery. My Tesla Advisor even came onsite to take a look and take photos/notes. He went to the back of the building and spoke to the Delivery Manager. The Manager himself suggested I reject the delivery and apologized. We will see what happens after this.

More updates to follow.
Honestly these photos don’t look bad. Some of them appear to be taken of water spots on the black trim? Hood alignment easily fixed. Maybe just not seeing it!

VIN# 096XX

More updates to follow.

Wow what a let down...

Those trim pieces can be easily fixed by the Service Center or their body shop. I see water spots but that’s it. The seat, yeah that’s an issue but they will probably replace it. Panel gaps... it’s Tesla and this thing is built in a tent so yeah it is what it is. I don’t think I would’ve rejected that car since Tesla is fixing so many of them and quickly too. Good luck with the next one I guess

I probably would have rejected it for the dent but the other stuff seems fixable. Very annoying though -- sorry this happened.

I agree as I probably would have rejected it also. While the other stuff is fixable, why can't they fix it before he goes to pick it up?

I live over an hour away from the nearest SC and it would be a major inconvenience if I had to go back and forth and deal with all of those issues. Maybe if I had a SC nearby I wouldn't be bothered as much but it seems to me they should have all of those "minor" issues fixed before saying its ready for delivery.

Reactions: Reeler and raggedy
Thanks, everyone for your comment and feedback.

Coming into this, I had some expectations that panel gaps and misalignments were a common thing for the early production Model Y's. But some of the issues I noticed was unacceptable and purely missed from the Tesla QC team. Even the Delivery Manager and my Tesla Advisor who was there encouraged me to reject the delivery.

I will repost some of the images that made reject it.

#1. Dent and paint scuff on the left passenger door
#2. Noticeable rock chip on the front passenger rim.
#3. Trunk misalignment - This caused the trunk to open wobbly and close with a loud double *Thump* sound.
#4. Rear right passenger side window trim mis-alignment/gap
#5. Excessive paint drip hardening towards the C pillar window trim.
#6. Rear right passenger side fender trim sticking out (I know it is easily fixable/replaceable but this bothered me)

For those that are curious about rejecting a vehicle. Your downpayment (if any) transaction still goes through but the Finance/lease is halted until you either get another VIN or request a return. Meaning you get your downpayment funds back 1-2 weeks but you lose your $100 deposit. You also cannot order the same vehicle for a 1 year period.
1-a.jpg
2-a.jpg
3-a.jpg
4-a.jpg
5-a.jpg
6-a.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: JATinNH
I rejected my first delivery early this month due to scratches, dents, and alignments. My second delivery attempt is next week. I thought their quality should have improved by now, maybe I shouldn't have too much hope next week.

I'd reject too, I can't see how people on here say oh that trim can be fixed easily, those alignments can be fixed, ignore the dent, etc. 1) Tesla won't fix most of them as they have a huge in-spec, 2) that trim won't ever be corrected and stay that way, 3) the paint is horrid and needs factory fixes that will take many rejections to finally get them to improve, and 4) when Tesla SCs do repairs, they usually break 2 more things for each they fix.

I'm just surprised at how many would deal with these quality issues with say $70,000 of your hard earned cash - unless you really just throw it out the window most of the time.

I picked up my car on 6/13 and returned it on 6/17. VIN #11XXX Love how it drives and the technology but didn't want to have to deal with the build quality and fixes. Will definitely buy it again after they've worked out most (maybe not necessarily ALL) the kinks. Combine Lexus build quality and Tesla technology and that's the ultimate car!

Reactions: Reeler and teko
I received mine back in March 31, the first batch. Every issues you listed (other than the major paint drip) were there in my car (and more). Every cosmetic & gap issues have been addressed by the service center/bodyshop.

What Tesla could improve is their initial QA before releasing the car. They should repair those issues before releasing it to customers. Instead, they let the customers do the 50-point check for them. Report then repair within 100 miles/5 days for free. It's an absolutely horrible feeling to see a brand new car with so many issues before it leaves the delivery center.

I probably would have rejected it for the dent but the other stuff seems fixable. Very annoying though -- sorry this happened.

Yes, I would have rejected as well for the dent. That should never have been presented to the customer that way. Other than that, it looked pretty good. In all the pics, I only saw one thing that I would consider an alignment issue and it’s a simple fix. Can’t tell much of anything about the paint since the car was covered in water spots. They could have tried to actually wash and present it nice and clean. Some Tesla locations really suck at the whole delivery process.

Reactions: richyrich
Yes, I would have rejected as well for the dent. That should never have been presented to the customer that way. Other than that, it looked pretty good. In all the pics, I only saw one thing that I would consider an alignment issue and it’s a simple fix. Can’t tell much of anything about the paint since the car was covered in water spots. They could have tried to actually wash and present it nice and clean. Some Tesla locations really suck at the whole delivery process.

@Monkey

So you would be OK with the rock chip on the rim, trunk misalignment which caused the trunk to shake while opening and make a loud thumping noise when it closes, and the trim gash right above the right rear passenger window?

Who knows what else I would find after driving it off the lot.

Anyway, here is a quick update from my Tesla Advisor:

"The vehicle yesterday has been flagged by Management and now being escalated to the top Inspection Team. Delivery Team is in possession and taking additional photos to make future corrections."

I picked up my car on 6/13 and returned it on 6/17. VIN #11XXX Love how it drives and the technology but didn't want to have to deal with the build quality and fixes. Will definitely buy it again after they've worked out most (maybe not necessarily ALL) the kinks. Combine Lexus build quality and Tesla technology and that's the ultimate car!
No offense, but reading all of your posts from the first are "I'm concerned about quality issues" over and over. Then you pick up the car, don't reject it, but return it after four days.

You should and could have followed up on your initial concerns and delayed delivery. But you were primed to find issues, and find them you apparently did. At least you won't be buying another MY for a year. Maybe by then it will meet your standards.