Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Relationship between AP2 and FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does paying the $3,000 for FSD enable extra hardware useful to AP2? Does AP2 function better if FSD had been paid for?

I elected to keep the money for autonomous driving in my pocket at the time I placed my order, figuring that it would probably be at least 3 years before the legislation was in place to allow it. I knew I can always get it enabled OTA whenever the time comes that I can actually use it. However, if some of the cameras that AP2 could use remain disabled because I opted to postpone paying for FSD, then I'd gladly fork over the $$ now.

• Funny
Reactions: u00mem9
My opinion only, you will probably be waiting for FSD for a long, long, long, long time. However AP2 does convey some advantages especially on trips according to many owners... (and especially now that more has been enabled). So if what AP2 delivers *NOW* isn't worth the $3k to you, you're wise to hang on to your money and only spend it when you like what it actually delivers (i.e., not "the next software update in a couple of weeks will be great!").

Reactions: yak-55
...Does AP2 function better if FSD had been paid for...

As everyone said above, currently, it makes no difference but Elon Musk believes the progress is so vast that you would see a difference for those who paid for AP2 only and those who also paid for FSDC in 3 to 6 months as of January tweet.

Right now only 2 out 8 cameras are utilized.

AP2 is supposed to use 4 out of 8.

It's unknown how the other extra 4 will be used later.

Paying up $3,000 in advance makes sense:

1) If you like technology and want to grow with the system,

2) If you also like to do a "fund-me-dot-com" style to support for FSDC development

3) If you don't want to pay extra fee for paying later.

Otherwise, as others said above, it may not make sense to pay in advance.

All this assumes that it's possible to do full autonomous driving, or anything even close, with AP2. Based on the past experience of AP1 promised features never appearing, I'd not be surprised if we saw a HW3 ... HW8 before real autonomous driving was possible. Since they've not demonstrated that it's even possible with HW2, there's no reason to think it ever will be, especially with Tesla's software team.

LIDAR and much greater processing/memory capability leaps to mind. Tesla also needs a serious software organization, but that's not really a hardware issue.

Reactions: cwerdna
As everyone said above, currently, it makes no difference but Elon Musk believes the progress is so vast that you would see a difference for those who paid for AP2 only and those who also paid for FSDC in 3 to 6 months as of January tweet.

Its past 6 months now and we still have nothing. Tesla's release window has been 4-6 weeks on average so far. Usually elon cant help but blab about the next upcoming update if it had cool features about 2 weeks out.

We haven't heard nothing which means that theres nothing EAP related on the horizon or FSD for that matter.

Looks like elon failed on another prediction which is not surprising cause i said he would again.

IMO, FSD with current HW will never work. Sensors and processing are not adequate for the task. I wonder will we see angry customers sue Tesla when it becomes finally obvious that FSD on Ap2 HW is a myth.

I don't remember how much I paid for my AP1 option (pre-October 2016 facelift MS) but it was a third or a quarter of what they ask for AP2. And it was fair pricing! But now, IMO, AP2 is already seriously overpriced; and FSD is waste of money.

I'm so sceptical because I work in a sphere heavily involved in image recognition technology. I don't think Tesla will pull this weight alone. A serious consortium of automakers/innovators required for such a gargantuan task

IMO, FSD with current HW will never work. Sensors and processing are not adequate for the task. I wonder will we see angry customers sue Tesla when it becomes finally obvious that FSD on Ap2 HW is a myth.

I don't remember how much I paid for my AP1 option (pre-October 2016 facelift MS) but it was a third or a quarter of what they ask for AP2. And it was fair pricing! But now, IMO, AP2 is already seriously overpriced; and FSD is waste of money.

I'm so sceptical because I work in a sphere heavily involved in image recognition technology. I don't think Tesla will pull this weight alone. A serious consortium of automakers/innovators required for such a gargantuan task
Definetly the race is on now between Tesla and Audi. The new A8 promises level 3 in congested traffic up to 60 km/h and level 2 in most other situations.

Definetly the race is on now between Tesla and Audi. The new A8 promises level 3 in congested traffic up to 60 km/h and level 2 in most other situations.
That's not all Audi is promising!!! In the new Spiderman movie, there's a quick cut scene where the Audi someone is driving shows "Autodrive enabled -- You can now take your hands off the wheel" or something like that. So it must be available now!!

/sarcasm
(Audi - the world leader in EV press releases)

Could be, VW/Audi has been caught red handed just recently...
Some more details on the new A8 from Autoexpress in the UK states Lidar and bumper mounted radars, so at least the sensors are more expensive. New 2017 Audi A8 revealed: pictures, video and all the details

It will be interesting to see the first comparison between the two. I guess the german auto press will be delighted to do their "vergleichstest" this autumn, and Tesla really should be ready by then!

As of today, and probably next week, there is no relationship between AP2 and FSD.

Right now, we don't actually have EAP either... We have something like AP0.8.

Presumably at some point relatively soon they'll activate the 3rd camera up there - the wide-angle/fisheye camera - and suddenly it'll get better again... then it might be better than AP1 on the highway, and can finally, truly be considered an "Enhanced "Autopilot, at last.

Eventually, they'll probably add the 4th camera into the system - most likely the rear camera - and it'll be able to do some more complex parking manoeuvres, and maybe give you some smarter warnings about when you can and can't change lane and so on. Other than that, it probably won't be much different.

FSD is a different stack of technologies, including a heavy reliance on mapping...

One thing is almost for certain. The deviation of EAP and FSD won't happen quickly or overnight. I paid for FSD, but I don't really know why. You may as well just save your cash and activate it later, when it's nearing some kind of release - you'll hear about it, for sure!!! Go for the premium sound upgrade instead - that's at least something you can't activate later!

As of today, and probably next week, there is no relationship between AP2 and FSD.

Right now, we don't actually have EAP either... We have something like AP0.8.

Presumably at some point relatively soon they'll activate the 3rd camera up there - the wide-angle/fisheye camera - and suddenly it'll get better again... then it might be better than AP1 on the highway, and can finally, truly be considered an "Enhanced "Autopilot, at last.

Eventually, they'll probably add the 4th camera into the system - most likely the rear camera - and it'll be able to do some more complex parking manoeuvres, and maybe give you some smarter warnings about when you can and can't change lane and so on. Other than that, it probably won't be much different.

FSD is a different stack of technologies, including a heavy reliance on mapping...

One thing is almost for certain. The deviation of EAP and FSD won't happen quickly or overnight. I paid for FSD, but I don't really know why. You may as well just save your cash and activate it later, when it's nearing some kind of release - you'll hear about it, for sure!!! Go for the premium sound upgrade instead - that's at least something you can't activate later!

The 4 cameras they were going to use for EAP was two fronts and the two rear-facing side cameras. That should improve blind spot problems.

FSD was going to be released in stages, not as an all or nothing thing. I expect we'll see some features this year at least. Less nags would be a nice start...