Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

relative speed assist warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone describe what does the "speed assist" warning look like when set to "relative" and "display"? Because I don't think I see the warning.

If I set it to "relative" and "chime", I hear the beeps (quite annoying actually).
If I set it to "absolute" and "display", I see a small notification on the bottom center of the instrument panel.

But if I set it to "relative" and "display", I don't seem to see any warning. (I would expect a notification similar to that of "absolute" "display" case.)

Can someone describe what does the "speed assist" warning look like when set to "relative" and "display"? Because I don't think I see the warning.

If I set it to "relative" and "chime", I hear the beeps (quite annoying actually).
If I set it to "absolute" and "display", I see a small notification on the bottom center of the instrument panel.

But if I set it to "relative" and "display", I don't seem to see any warning. (I would expect a notification similar to that of "absolute" "display" case.)

The size of the speed limit sign displayed gets larger.

OK thanks!

I see that. But that's so easy to miss compared to the "absolute" "display" notification. Why couldn't they make it more noticeable?

Also, this is hard to describe: but it seems that the larger speed limit sign doesn't stay large? I'm not sure what are the exact conditions that trigger it to drop back down in size, but there seem to be situations where I'm over the relative limit yet the speed limit sign is small. Maybe if I exceed the limit too much? or for too long? Does anyone else see this? The manual is very unclear on the behavior here.

Even more subtle than the lane departure warning haptic. I wonder if version 8.2 will whisper in our ear when the bridge is out ahead. :p

I think as humans, we're not sensitive to purely size. Rather we're more sensitive to changes in sizes. If they could make the speed limit sign pulse in size or brightness, then it'd be a much more useful and prominent notification.

Reactions: jimmyz80
OK thanks!

I see that. But that's so easy to miss compared to the "absolute" "display" notification. Why couldn't they make it more noticeable?

Also, this is hard to describe: but it seems that the larger speed limit sign doesn't stay large? I'm not sure what are the exact conditions that trigger it to drop back down in size, but there seem to be situations where I'm over the relative limit yet the speed limit sign is small. Maybe if I exceed the limit too much? or for too long? Does anyone else see this? The manual is very unclear on the behavior here.

Once it decides you are ignoring the warning, it pouts and shrinks back to normal.