TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Relay clicking sound from frunk when car turned off

Discussion in 'Model X' started by DrComputer, Apr 18, 2016.

1. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

This past weekend I was in Santa Barbara staying at an AirBNB and my Model X was parked relatively close to my room and when it was turned off I could hear a double clicking relay sound coming from the frunk about every two minutes. I made sure the key was far enough away from the car so it wasn't sensing the key. I could also see the tail lights flicker for a fraction of a second every few minutes when it was pitch black outside. When I got back home I sat in the garage (with the keys in the house) and it still continues to make this double clicking relay sound about every two minutes. Everything on the car seems to be working fine and I have no errors on screen. I might have never noticed this at my house since the X stays in my detached garage and I usually don't just sit in the garage after parking it. Had anyone noticed this with their X? I e-mailed my service advisor but I haven't heard anything back yet.

2. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

Yes - I have. I sat in my garage for 10min to time it too and it was pretty random. In a span of 10min the gap between the blinks varied from 1.15min to over 3min.

Also, I figured that if I put the keys far away enough like more than 25ft crow's flight distance, it stops doing it. My suspicions are that it is detecting the keys since they are Bluetooth.

I'm going to SC tomorrow for other unrelated items and will ask them if they have any more Intel to share.

3. Farnigus

Farnigus Member

I had a simliar problem with the spoiler/mirrors opening on their own all the time.
    I would check to see if it _is_ your key-fob.
    The range is surprisingly far. I was told it was 30'.
    I had my keys 2 rooms away from the garage, but my car kept waking up unti I took the batteries out of the spare key.

Best way to test if it is your keys is either to take out the battery or wrap it in a bunch of aluminum foil.

4. xkwizit

xkwizit Member

Confirmed with the service manager at my SC. Bluetooth keys that come with MX have much longer range and thus they need to be stored farther as compared to MS keys. I wish Tesla could reduce the sensitivity to say 5-8feet.

5. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Bluetooth appears to be hard to block as well; I considered a fob box for our key fobs, but I don't see anything that can block the bluetooth signal.

This probably explains my issues with locking/unlocking the car in my garage as well. There's a timeout period (per the manual) of 5 minutes - if the fob is in range of the car for 5 minutes, some lock/unlock things change. Maybe it's this timeout that's causing issues.

Anyone here know a good way to block Bluetooth?

6. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

I think it's more than the fob here. Many of us are reporting the flapping mirrors and spoiler that refuse to stay down while parked. The other day I went into the market and verified the car was autolocked and everything tucked away. When I came out, at 50 feet away I could see my spoiler was erect again. When I approached the car the lights flashed saying it recognized the fob.

A TMC member reported this behavior to Tesla and they said they were aware of it and it will be fixed in an upcoming SW update. Just not sure when.

7. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

8. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

If you find a small (jewelry box) like enclosure. Please post the link

9. bikeandsail

bikeandsail Member

Any all metal box with a metal lid should do it "faraday cage".

• Helpful x 1
  10. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

I need one of those! I recall building a faraday cage a while back in high school for the science fair Old memories...

11. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

I bet yours was the only one with a sunshade!

• Funny x 1