Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Relaying Wi-Fi to detached garage at a distance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, Anybody have to relay their Wi-Fi signal to a detached garage at a good distance from their home? I live on a fairly large property and am trying to figure out the most sensible way to do this. Thanks - and please be kind; I'm not very tech-minded (and yes, I see the irony of buying a Tesla)

Thanks for any advice; waiting for delivery of my MY (ODD: Aug 12, EDD: Dec 1 to 21. in Quebec.

You can send your internet signal through your powerline with a "Powerline" adaptor. you would put an adapter (it plugs into a wall outlet) near your router (and connect with a Cat-5 cable) and the adapter would modulate and transmit the internet signal through your powerline into your garage. In your garage, you would have another adaptor to receive the signal (it also plugs into a wall outlet). Here is one option on Amazon that includes a wi-fi router for the garage area.

You can send your internet signal through your powerline with a "Powerline" adaptor. you would put an adapter (it plugs into a wall outlet) near your router (and connect with a Cat-5 cable) and the adapter would modulate and transmit the internet signal through your powerline into your garage. In your garage, you would have another adaptor to receive the signal (it also plugs into a wall outlet). Here is one option on Amazon that includes a wi-fi router for the garage area.

This is exactly what I was going to recommend.

The big caveats here are that the two powerline modules apparently need to be on the same electrical phase, and they do have a maximum range. That might just take some trial and error.

I have the non-wifi version of this and it works pretty great in my little house.

Reactions: Volleyballmom
Depending on the distance, you might also consider upgrading the wifi at your house to a mesh system and then place one of the repeaters in the garage or halfway there or something similar so that the entire area is blanketed in Wifi. This might not be possible or practical depending on the distance etc.

Wow- that also sounds like a feasible option. My garage and home have two separate electrical meters so not sure that would work. I just retested my Wi-Fi reception in the garage with my old-ish iPhone and it actually got a pretty good signal. It never could before (must be the new router we got for the house). I'm assuming my MY will have at least as good Wi-Fi reception, so maybe I'm all set without having to rig up anything in my garage.

Thanks - this is all new to me. A Gigabeam radio = Wi-Fi signal relayer of a sort?
It's a wifi bridge. You'd need to buy 2 units, each one has an ethernet port and a highly directional wifi antenna.
Anything that goes in the ethernet port of 1 unit, comes out of the ethernet port on the other unit. So to get wifi to the car at the other end you'd need a cheap access point to broadcast the signal again.

I use these at work to link our 2 buildings together, as running cables wasn't an option due to the landlord. We get about 800Mb/s out of it, over a distance of ~ 600ft.

Hello, Anybody have to relay their Wi-Fi signal to a detached garage at a good distance from their home? I live on a fairly large property and am trying to figure out the most sensible way to do this. Thanks - and please be kind; I'm not very tech-minded (and yes, I see the irony of buying a Tesla)

Thanks for any advice; waiting for delivery of my MY (ODD: Aug 12, EDD: Dec 1 to 21. in Quebec.
Best suggestion has been to expand your WiFi system to the back garage. I have exact same situation with my Wall Connector about 150 feet on the back garage. It connects to WiFi via a 2nd router (mesh/Range Extender) inside that garage.

Router in-house -> Range Extender plugged into back garage -> Wall Connector -> Tesla
Both the Connector and the Car need that 2.4 GHz reliable connection back there.
Also, the Wall Connector will still charge if it loses WiFi, but you really WiFi for reliable software updates.
I would just suggest you buy an extender the same brand as your existing router for compatibility or something like this:

I ran into the same situation at my house, and my detached garage is steel with steel siding, which is great at blocking WiFi.
My solution was to upgrade my WiFi to a MESH setup. My current setup is a Deco M5 system. It's dual band, and pretty much plug and play.
I've been in IT/Networking/Programming for over 30 years, and I promise you this system is so easy to configure that anyone can do it.

Btw - there's a newer version: Deco X20 which is WiFi 6. So you may want to grab that one as WiFi 6 is the latest and greatest.

I had Orbi RBR50 with 2 satellites for the past 3 years and just recently upgraded to Eero pro 6 with 3 satellites. It’s a huge speed and connection improvement. The Orbi was the standard at at that time but it just couldn’t keep up with all the devices I have.