Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Relearning how to drive an ICE car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After driving a M3 for a year I drove our Prius on a shopping trip. After activating the windshield wipers trying to shift gears, I ended up walking away from the car in the supermarket parking lot without turning it off or locking it. When I returned with my groceries the gas engine cycled on while I was loading them into the trunk. That caused a moment of shock. I left the car unlocked and “running” for 30 minutes (the Prius runs on battery for a while, then cycles on the gas engine when the battery gets down to a certain level). Yikes. We’ve since traded in the Prius on another M3

It's funny that there's no learning curve when going from one of those clunky piston crap things back to a Tesla. There's nothing you can do wrong in the Tesla, everything you touch just works the right way. Sure, you might briefly search for the mirror adjustment or whatnot but there are no levers or buttons that could be misused and no special rituals to forget, like bringing keys or touching the door handle or dashboard in special spots to lock/unlock/start/stop/etc...

Every time I drive an old ICE I think: "Why do I have to do all this stuff myself?"
Every time I drive a Tesla I think: "Oh, I'm here already. That was fun!"

It's funny that there's no learning curve when going from one of those clunky piston crap things back to a Tesla. There's nothing you can do wrong in the Tesla, everything you touch just works the right way. Sure, you might briefly search for the mirror adjustment or whatnot but there are no levers or buttons that could be misused and no special rituals to forget, like bringing keys or touching the door handle or dashboard in special spots to lock/unlock/start/stop/etc...

Every time I drive an old ICE I think: "Why do I have to do all this stuff myself?"

i can't tell if you're serious, or if you've drank too much elon kool aide? 🤣 there are plenty of things that you can do wrong. here are a few: auto pilot into a k-wall? phantom braking on the highway? having to learn about charging curves. having to learn about battery degradation. having to plan charging stops. how do you even open the car doors?? from the inside? the outside?

and, that's coming from somebody who loves their tesla.

Well you can't do any of those things "wrong". Sure you can foolishly trust your life to beta software or senselessly work yourself up into a range anxiety meltdown but you can't do anything incorrectly. You can't stand there like an idiot yanking on the locked door handle because you failed to touch just the right spot or don't have the fob or didn't press the fob or...
Sure, you might still end up yanking on the locked handle because of bluetooth issues, but not for any fault of your own.

Reactions: Shelburne
Well you can't do any of those things "wrong". Sure you can foolishly trust your life to beta software or senselessly work yourself up into a range anxiety meltdown but you can't do anything incorrectly. You can't stand there like an idiot yanking on the locked door handle because you failed to touch just the right spot or don't have the fob or didn't press the fob or...
Sure, you might still end up yanking on the locked handle because of bluetooth issues, but not for any fault of your own.

ah, so you *did* drink the kool aid

Reactions: Jclboston and TomT
The biggest thing by far for me is the lack of regen braking. Everytime I get in an ICE car and take my foot off the gas, it’s just weird that it doesn’t slow down.

And I’ve only been an M3 owner for a year and a half.

ah, so you *did* drink the kool aid
Ha! Yeah actually I did think of a couple of things you can do “wrong” with a Tesla. Probably everyone tries to close the frunk wrong (right) and there’s certainly a ritual (satanic?) involved in unplugging the J1772 adapter.
Still not like squirting your windshield when you’re trying to flash the high beams but annoying nonetheless.

But for me it is an ICE/EV issue... I believe the topic here wants personal experiences between the two.
But this can not be generalized for every EV, nor every ICE.
You'll have the same issue when you switch between Tesla and another EV car that has different handlings around the steering wheel.

Things like regen brake, that's specific for EV. An ICE won't have this. Unless you drive an Audi Q7 4.0TDI, that engine is so heavy that when you stop pushing the gas pedal, that it feels like it's braking.

maybe a lifetime Uber pass is more your style

Reactions: Jclboston
I drove manual for 25yrs before getting my Tesla. After almost three years…..I wonder how it would be getting back into a manual. I’m sure it‘ll be like riding a bike? Lol.

When I drive my wife’s lexus I have to consciously remember to turn it off, lock the doors, close the garage door and when I pull into the driveway I sit there waiting for the garage to open….until I remember I have to hit the home link button.

Apart from the small matter of the car slamming on the brakes when you lift off the gas.

Yes to the noise and no power items. However for me the worst was to fuel up. I wanted to fuel my wife's car recently and I was annoyed at how complicated it was at the pump... needing to input a credit card in advance, punch my PIN, choose "no wash today" etc before I could pump. Hooray for home chargers and plug and play superchargers !

Why would you lift off the pedal if not to slow down?

And if you’ve ever been outside the US or driven an older car you’d know that nearly every car in the world decelerates like a Tesla when you lift off the gas pedal.
You can lift off to glide or coast gradually and naturally if you've driven any other kind of efficient vehicle.

Even if Tesla makes a compact with a reasonable turning radius and stops their customer service from sucking, their regen decision makes them a complete no to us. My wife drives with Power+Regen 0 in our Kona and Sport+Normal in our Volt and aggressive regen is a total deal killer.

The regen setting is just throttle mapping, which is something easily controlled by settings, as it is in a large number of vehicles.
Maybe Tesla should remove the acceleration, creep/hold and steering settings, and people should just get used to whatever they decide is best.
I guess they're trying a bit with the Plaid yoke.

I don't know what they were thinking. Did it improve the EPA rating or something?

• Disagree
Reactions: Shelburne
You can lift off to glide or coast gradually and naturally if you've driven any other kind of efficient vehicle.

Even if Tesla makes a compact with a reasonable turning radius and stops their customer service from sucking, their regen decision makes them a complete no to us. My wife drives with Power+Regen 0 in our Kona and Sport+Normal in our Volt and aggressive regen is a total deal killer.

The regen setting is just throttle mapping, which is something easily controlled by settings, as it is in a large number of vehicles.
Maybe Tesla should remove the acceleration, creep/hold and steering settings, and people should just get used to whatever they decide is best.
I guess they're trying a bit with the Plaid yoke.

I don't know what they were thinking. Did it improve the EPA rating or something?
So, just old dog, new tricks... WRT regen.

All vehicles behave differently when you let off the throttle. I had several that decelerated harder when left in gear than my Model 3 does when I let off the accelerator (depending on gear selection in the manual cars). My truck, with its 8 speed auto on the other hand, will coast for what seems like forever.

I drove my parent's Mercedes GLC AMG Ed1 once to go snowboard. And once when my Tesla had to change its tire and needed to stay at Costco overnight.

First off, having to go to a gas station is a drag. I like the Tesla is able to charge at home with wall connector, it eliminates the need to plan your commute to find a gas station. I don't know why some people are turned off that EV take too long to charge, but don't mind having to waste their commute time stopping at a gas station since gas cars can't refuel at home.

Also this car is slow even with race inspired decoration. I feel my Tesla Model 3 mid range is quicker in acceleration, which can be more used legally than top speed. I kind of wish they considered the Model X performance, I feel that car should be faster than any Mercedes AMG.

1625783560725.png

I love my wife's new ICE (Durango R/T with "Tow N Go" package, which means it gets every upgrade that the SRT has, except the motor, so incredible interior, suede headliner, adaptive suspension, screaming loud SRT exhaust, etc.). It's slow as dirt, of course, but nice in it's own ways. But almost every time I get out of the car, I leave the engine running and start walking away. When I hear the burbling idle, I realize my mistake and make the 'walk of shame' back to turn it off and lock it. It's great entertainment value for my wife.