TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Reliability of 2017 Model X

Discussion in 'Model X' started by John Doe, Sep 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. John Doe

John Doe Member

Hi All,

I'm about to buy an ex-demo MX, 2017 model.

I understand that early X's have had reliability and manufacturing issues
    and that some owners had multiple visits to the workshop.
    Has that settled down now? Are recent builds (2017) more reliable?

Thx.
    John

2. T3xrr

T3xrr Member

How much is the demo going to cost you?

3. ThomasB

ThomasB Member

I sure hope so. I am always in and out of the service Center with my model X. Service has been great but i am a little tired of going to see them.

• Like x 1
  4. John Doe

John Doe Member

2017 MX 75D with 2000km < $160k AUD (including taxes). Trying to negotiate... but they seem unwilling to move so far.

5. T3xrr

T3xrr Member

Seems high for a 75d

6. John Doe

John Doe Member

Gotta love that Luxury Car tax!

7. skilly

skilly Member

has to be a pretty hefty cost uplift for shipping...and VAT.

8. ztaylor

ztaylor Member

Seems like its too much. its roughly 155149.72 Canadian Dollar.
    I got a brand new MX 75D with 22" cold weather and pearl while for 138K (taxes in) out of inventory with 16km on it

9. DougH

DougH Active Member

If you have 22" make sure to get the doors covered with expel otherwise you will end up with made rock chips in the winter. Costs me $2K to fix.

10. TessieX

TessieX Member

What is this "winter" thing that you speak of?

And... as for the original post... I've had my P100D for a little more than 3 months. Brand new build. I have had zero problems (but know that I'm really early in - *knock on wood*). But I have come to realize that the "range" isn't really the range. Those "miles" left on the battery are a really rough guestimate. It was an adjustment, but I got over it pretty quickly - especially since we had a plug installed in the garage specifically for Tessie and she charges every night (and there is no way I'm going through an entire battery in one day of local driving).

11. skilly

skilly Member

Factor mileage and shipping costs and it's pretty much on par with your pricing.

12. bikeandsail

bikeandsail Member

In my 17,500 miles of ownership of my June 2016 delivery it was in and out of the shop every couple of months. Current 2017 June delivery unit with 3,500 miles has been in once for a list of "minor" issues. I believe the build quality is much better but not yet "Toyota/Lexus".

13. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

the price sounds decent, based on the fact that i was getting around $200K when pricing for a friend in Adelaide.

also, yes i've driven quite a few miles in a 2017 90D and P100D MX and both are so much nicer. less squeaks and rattles, silent doors when they open and overall seem better put together.

besides that, Tesla's in Aussie take forever to get so i would jump on it. :)

14. John Doe

John Doe Member

Thanks all for your feedback. I'm feeling a little more hopeful that a newer
    model won't be in the shop all the time.

15. ninefiveone

ninefiveone Member

We're pleased with our June 2017 build. We have been to the SC twice:

- FWD alignment (issue spotted at delivery) and one second row monopost seat was stuck unlatched
    - road force wheel balance, and replace an interior panel on FWD that got caught the wrong way when opening and then bent the wrong way during closing.

We expected these kinds of small issues and so far it's better than expected. Still room for improvement, of course.

16. focher

focher Member

But was that really a surprise? If you drive an ICE and it has a range estimate, and you start driving uphill in high winds very fast are you surprised that you can't drive as far as the estimate indicated?

17. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

+1 exactly!

a floating bulb in a liquid is far more of a guesstimate than an accurate BMS readout that adjusts according to your drving style...

i should also add to your list big rims/tires (argh they came with the demo model i got)

18. TessieX

TessieX Member

It may be an unwanted surprise to some - so yeah, I'm gonna put it out there for someone that is considering the purchase. We had never looked into Electric Vehicles before we considered the Tesla purchase, and were somewhat worried about range.

Our 3 state drive, from AZ to CO a few times a year, was a big factor when deciding whether or not to purchase the vehicle. The route we have taken for the last 15 years has only 2 Superchargers along the way... so after having the vehicle a few months, I have a better understanding of how much AC, speed, hills, etc will affect that number. If the navigation says I'll make the last leg with 9% battery upon arrival I may have to take a different route (with longer drive times) and make sure there is another Supercharger at which to stop. 9% is super easy to lose (when factoring uphill driving - and yeah the big rims/ties too). Obviously the more you drive the car the better feel for it you will have.

But without thinking about the range at all... no regrets... great purchase!

19. skilly

skilly Member

Im not sure that this is exactly the point. The statement is really related to range anxiety. You can't get around the fact that an EV needs some understanding of range but more importantly access to a power source if you miscalculate. Unlike an ICE vehicle an EV, at least for now, requires planning.

With an ICE car you might find just a few miles in between "power sources" i.e. Planning a trip outside of the range, or close to it, for an EV and it becomes more problematic than just popping a few gallons in the tank.

20. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

what month/year is your build?