Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reliability of older Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This thread has given me nightmares. I own a 2013 MS85 since new. My warrantees are all expiring this summer (aug 4th). I have 54K mile and I’m still in the original DU (makes zero noise). Because of this thread, I asked Tesla if they could perform a preemptive bearing replacement and what the cost would be, they said no (they only do DU swaps). The also said that a new DU would be $8k out of warrantee. I don’t drive aggressively, so I’ll baby my car for as long as I can. Also, hopefully, by the time something bad happens, we will have an Electric Garage in Ohio (or nearby) that can help. One thing is for sure, I’m not selling my car for what the market appears to be (teens). As far as the battery (also original), I still get 225 at 90% in the winter and 228 in the summer.

Last edited:
This thread has given me nightmares. I own a 2013 MS85 since new. My warrantees are all expiring this summer (aug 4th). I have 54K mile and I’m still in the original DU (makes zero noise). Because of this thread, I asked Tesla if they could perform a preemptive bearing replacement and what the cost would be, they said no (they only do DU swaps). The also said that a new DU would be $8k out of warrantee. I don’t drive aggressively, so I’ll baby my car for as long as I can. Also, hopefully, by the time something bad happens, we will have an Electric Garage in Ohio (or nearby) that can help. One thing is for sure, I’m not selling my car for what the market appears to be (teens). As far as the battery (also original), I still get 225 at 90% in the winter and 228 in the summer.
Just a heads up, even a worn out DU mount will require full replacement of the DU. Happened to me in my 2013 P85, thankfully purchased the extended warranty so a no brainer.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I have the extended warrantee. It all expires at the eight year mark
plain S and not driven like a maniac you should be fine
Thats the powertrain warranty I believe you are talking about. You can also purchase an extended warranty for all other components as well through Tesla
extended is 8 yr total ...same as powertrain/battery warranty time length

Reactions: Mjsais
Just a heads up, even a worn out DU mount will require full replacement of the DU. Happened to me in my 2013 P85, thankfully purchased the extended warranty so a no brainer.

Curious how long ago this happened? Current Tesla parts catalog shows both front/rear bushings and single driver side mount available for sale over the counter without VIN. Would be silly to disallow SC to replace these and force a high cost DU replacement.
Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 10.05.17 AM.png

But yes, Tesla HQ basically running a company that mainly focus on selling latest model cars under warranty with new revenue outpacing the inefficient warranty service costs. Natural pipeline is HQ focus on new car design/sale with local dealer/service ownership focus on servicing older gen (Tesla has no such structure with both pluses and minuses) Increasing sales volume resulting in new owner/fans drowning out disgruntled older car owner population. Its funny to watch out of warranty MS owner's conversation with a M3 owner in warranty honeymoon haha.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Zextraterrestrial
Curious how long ago this happened? Current Tesla parts catalog shows both front/rear bushings and single driver side mount available for sale over the counter without VIN. Would be silly to disallow SC to replace these and force a high cost DU replacement.
View attachment 652075
But yes, Tesla HQ basically running a company that can only focus on selling latest model cars under warranty with new revenue outpacing the inefficient warranty service costs. Natural pipeline is HQ focus on new car design/sale with local dealer/service ownership focus on servicing older gen (Tesla has no such structure which has both pluses and the big minuses we now face) Increased sales volume resulting in new owner/fans drowning out disgruntled older car owner population. Its funny to watch out of warranty MS owner's conversation with a M3 owner in warranty honeymoon haha.
Happened this past year, I was taken aback that a motor mount warranted a full DU replacement. I was told that its not a serviceable part, and that the whole DU needs replacement. Didn't ask much more since I was getting a new DU under warranty.

Mine wasn't driven like a maniac and still needed plenty of work ;)

Yes you are correct, you can only purchase a max 4 year extended warranty, my mistake!
XCare can cover your Tesla out to 175k miles or ten additional years, whichever comes first. Email me at [email protected] for a no hassle quote. Include VIN and current miles, how many miles you drive per year, and how many years coverage you'd like quoted, and I'll send you out info. Cheers. Brent

2012 Sig series P85

As others have said, what's important is to understand and know everything that was already done. If you can confirm what was done and when it was done, that's important.

In addition it's important to know whether or not you're dealing with remanufactured parts or brand new components. In other words, out of pocket or covered under the warranty.

I'll be selling my 2012 soon enough, but then it's going to be hell trying to find a P100DL+ ...let alone one I want.

265mi at 80% but I'm only 13k on the new battery.

HV battery $20k, DU $9k, everything else measured in less k's, lol.

For example, repairing a non-functional sunroof is going to cost you $2,500 at Tesla...

In deciding to keep my 13 MS85 w/63k miles. Here is my decision tree

1. I can DIY most things outside of HV battery and DU. So costs aren't concerning here. Just parts availability and repair info. Tesla has finally made parts generally available but they do make diag info difficult to acquire (tools, theory of operations, TSBs etc.) but enough seems to trickle out in the community. Do need to put in hobbyist time effort :)

2. HV battery removal and reinstall pretty much requires a lift so out of reach of most DIYers. Also deadly high voltage once pack is opened so need to be familiar with HV precautions. High failures seems to be contactors, fuse, battery cells/modules/BMS.

3. DU probably mostly the bearing on the induction motor rotor. The complex coolant channeling+seals might leak at some point. Again, Tesla makes design and failure mode info difficult to come by. We've also seen failing slip joint on the rotor (maybe from too many launches? haha) that would require a salvaged rotor.

For #1, if can't DIY, then stuck with SC. Tesla has shown feast/famine patterns on repair costs (Feast whenever they decide to put in some effort). MCU bubble/eMMC fiasco clearly shows this. $$$ for a few years before they decided to make Tegra card and newer supply chain MCU2 option available at reasonably costs.

For #2/#3, have to find the few local Tesla independent who can address these beyond Tesla's crazy replacement costs. Just found Medlock & Sons in my area (Seattle). Grubers is down in AZ, Electrified Garage in NE etc. A few companies harvest Tesla DU/battery for EV conversions (EV West - SoCal, 057 NC). They might also be good source to check for #2/#3 repair options. These guys now all source parts from salvaged cars that Tesla don't sell (battery submodules etc)

XCare can cover your Tesla out to 175k miles or ten additional years, whichever comes first. Email me at [email protected] for a no hassle quote. Include VIN and current miles, how many miles you drive per year, and how many years coverage you'd like quoted, and I'll send you out info. Cheers. Brent
Please clarify! My understanding is that your service contract excludes HV battery and the drive unit. Everything that we have been discussing here.

Reactions: AMPd
Yeah - the battery and DU costs are so high that a 3rd party extended warrantee might actually make sense.
The 3 is a different animal when it comes to repair costs projected out. The volume is so high that the chances of 3rd party repair shops and salvage parts being reasonable and available widely is much higher.
Also, Tesla made quite a few understandable mistakes early on. These were better before the 3 came out so odds are, the 3 will be better at common failure points. No guarantee but odds are better.

@X-Care EV i too would like clarification, because last time I got a quote the DU and battery was not covered. Are you saying that those components are now covered?

Actually (to Brent), you may want to consider offering a separate warranty specifically for the battery and drive unit. I'm sure a number of people (myself included) would be willing to pay for that once the Tesla battery warranty expires.

Reactions: AMPd