Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reliability of older Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my 2013 P85+ had a lot a small problems, and of course a drive unit and 2 HV batteries under warranty. The majority of these problems was taken in charge by tesla under warranty. Some components have been replaced by "GEN2" components. My MCU1 has the sdcard failed (so no navigation anymore). I ordered a MCU2. But it is a fantastic car, comfortable, quiet, powerfull, the charging netwaork is AWSOME ! I love it despite few problems. I spent more money in reparing 21" wheels than in problems of the car itself 🤣

list of problems not taken in warranty:
wiper arms
master charger GEN2
emmc of MCU1
sd card of MCU1
rear camera
repair 1 door handle (of course!)
2 light bulbs
2 lower arms
MCU2

and wheel repairs (6+1 new wheel), tires, and one crash into a driving school (front bumper, paint, lights paid by insurance)...

I have a 2013 S85, bought new, 120k miles. I’ve loved every minute with it, have a reservation on a Model Y. I’ll be sad to see it go but I think it’s time to move on. I had 8 year warranty and service plan. I decided to move on because I’m worried about cost of out of warranty repairs and (what I now learn might be battery gate affected) decreased range and slow supercharging. My max range is 206 miles.

Repairs

Drive unit x 2 - first time it was making a whining noise, second time the clunk on stsrting from a stop, but still makes it after replacement
Center screen replaced (bubbles on side) - I got LTE data and seems like better sound with that.
Charge port replaced - it was causing a problem apparently with the frunk not latching
3 UMC cables. Last one I had to pay for as out of warranty. I use these for all my home charging.
Taillight replacement - bugs got inside somehow.
Door handle replacement - still has the first Gen handles and the replacements have been working fine for years.
A few other odds and ends, like AC components (AC really, really sucked at first on this, but it’s fine now)

Service has always been hassle free for me.

I‘ve considered a lightly used Model S as a replacement and still might do this in 2-3 years when the refreshed versions start showing up, depending on how I like the Y. I’m not sure what the warranty is on a used S.

I have owned a 2012 P85 Signature for almost 8 years with 121k miles and runs like day one.
A few visits to Tesla service after the warranty expired
1. The driver and rear door handles are not working. (Replace the door handle paddle gears with steel ones, free from Tesla.)
1. Fan noise is too loud after charging. (Shield added for noise reduction by Tesla: $0.00)
3. MCU screen has air bubbles (screen replaced by Tesla $0.00)
4. Slow Internet speed (MCU upgraded to a newer version with LTE by Tesla, $250)
5. The instrument cluster screen has air bubbles (glue removal tools, $15, took 2-4 hours).
6. Active louver vent pin snapped (Q Bond plastic welded, $15, took 2-4 hours)
I spent most of my money on a few sets of Michelin Super Sport tires running on staggered 21” setup OE wheels on the P85+.

No complaints at Tesla service except the coffee stinks, and the loaner I got was the newest 75D at that time. I noticed they cut costs with the later Model S. I believe the first production of the signature model in 2012 was assembled by hand and built better with more inspections prior to release. The materials and fitments were better. The later production year after 2014 was in mass production, and that’s when Tesla rushed to release their vehicles with a lower MSRP. No comparisons there. The 2012 P85 signature did have a deposit that was 40k non-refundable with 126k msrp.

The bottom line is that if you come across one that has all the issues addressed, go for it and enjoy the free supercharging.