TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Reliability stats for the Model X -- structured quarterly survey

Discussion in 'Model X' started by mkaresh, Apr 15, 2016.

1. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

For the past ten years I've been conducting a car reliability survey designed to provide up-to-date, objective stats. The survey is quarterly, for frequent updates. It asks that all repairs be reported, but excludes any problems that first appeared before someone joined, to minimize bias. We also don't count problems fixed entirely with software.

I don't have a bias for or against any car. My top priority is providing the best possible reliability information, whatever the stats might be.

We've been providing stats for the Model S for a while now, partly due to help from members of this forum. Though the Tesla's repair frequencies are still high, they've improved considerably from earlier.

I'd like to do the same for the Model X, now that a significant number have been delivered. Those who are interested in helping can sign up here:

www.truedelta.com/join

• Like x 3
  2. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

I just discovered that I'd entered 2017 as the first model year for the Model X, so anyone who tried to enroll a 2016 would not have been able to. This has now been fixed.

I've also added Model X pricing, features, and specs to our database, so the Model X can be configured and thoroughly compared to other cars in our pricing section. It's not easy getting a full features list for the car. If anyone notices a feature I've missed, please let me know.

I'll add the Model X to the quarterly survey once enough owners sign up. Since the survey is quarterly, it will note changes (for better or worse, better in the case of the Model S) far sooner than annual surveys can.

3. Drivin

Drivin Member

Are you selling this information to other people?
    Are you affiliated with tesla or another car related org?

4. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We're affiliated with no car manufacturers. We're an independent site. My wife and I do all of the work to develop and operate it.

We sell the data to no one unless you count paid individual subscribers to the site. Over 99 percent of our members are non-paid, as we offer a choice between buying a subscription and helping to provide the site's information.

We conduct the survey for the benefit of members and car buyers in general.

5. Blastphemy

Blastphemy Member

Those of us who owned other brands of cars over the years are well acquainted with Michael Karesh. The data he collects can be invaluable when trying to track down how many owners have had a problem you discover in your own car. And it also helps to identify those vehicles that have better track records than others, so you can make an informed choice. His entire operation is above board and in service to everyone who owns (or wants to buy) a car.

6. Darryl

Darryl ModelXTracker.com Co-Adm

Typically on surveys such as this those who have problems report those who don't have issues don't register. Therefore the information gets skewed and then is picked up my the media. The media loves to report issues and could care less if the information is valid.

7. Blastphemy

Blastphemy Member

Everyone who participates in his research gets regular reminders to report a quarter with no repairs, regular maintenance, or service repairs. So it's fairly even-handed. He just needs a large enough sample to make statistical conclusions.

8. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

You're right about most such surveys.

But there is no other car reliability survey like this one. It's ongoing, not a one-time thing. This way we can and do exclude problems that first appeared before members joined.

For some models we have dozens of "no repair" responses and no repair reports. Here's one example, the 2016 Outback (and Legacy), with 59 responses:

Subaru Outback Reliability

Some Model X owners now signed up. A good start, but we'll need more to provide stats. And, given the system described above, it takes a few months once enough people are signed up to start providing stats.

9. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

Eight Model X's signed up so far. Not enough, but a good start. At this rate we'll likely have initial stats in November, but possibly in August. The more owners participate, the more precise these will be.

www.truedelta.com/join

10. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

as an example I've been putting data for the 2005 Prius and 2012 Leaf in truedelta since I got each. In the case of the Prius that has been quite a few years worth of no repairs. For the case of the Leaf it's only been one year.

I tend to buy used cars so any car I put into truedelta is a 2nd or 3rd owner car.

Other people buy new cars and put their data in truedelta.

It takes all kinds to get accurate data.

11. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

Thanks for putting a good word in, dhanson!

I just posted our latest stats for the Model S in that forum. As mentioned in that post, my own father recently bought a post-update Model S, and has been loving it.

We should have an initial stat for the Model X with the next update, which we'll release around the end of November. The more participants we have, the more precise this stat will be, so I hope more Model X owners will continue to join.

www.truedelta.com/join

12. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

We will have an initial stat late next month, but the sample size would be small. Put another way, additional participants would be very helpful.