Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reliability when far away from SC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife drives an ‘18 Yukon Denali and I daily drive an ‘18 Chevy Colorado. We love the Denali as a family hauler and for the ability to road trip with luggage. But my truck is a bit unnecessary for the couple times a year I put yard waste in it. So I’m considering getting rid of my truck and getting an X. My commute to work is about a mile, so range is a complete non-issue for me. I’d be getting the X purely for the fun of it; family car that isn’t boring and there isn’t another one around town. But I’m worried about quality and durability over time, since I’m over 100mi from the nearest SC. Anyone else in rural communities driving an X? Any regret being far way from a service center?

Not a Model X, but 2 model S since 2014. Through the years, I have driven to service center for service & repair a whopping 2 times, none of them urgent or essential. I live ~80 miles from the Sawmill Rd SC.

Anecdotally, it sounds like the S experiences less issues over time. But I’m curious if Tesla has smoothed out many of the issues that plagued early Xs and paint a fairly bleak picture on forums. Sometimes, reading through the forum pages gives the impression that X owners live with daily issues and near constant calls for service. So I’m hoping to hear otherwise from members who’ve taken delivery of later models.

Have two X's, one a very early VIN for 2 1/2 years, the other 103K, for 6 months.

After early teething pains, the first X has run like a clock for over 2 years. The new one is just great, fit/finish and operating.

Tesla X is just a superb vehicle....I'll get a third one day.