Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Relieved didn't buy a Standard Range M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've now had my M3P for just over a year, and last winter, because of COVID we stayed pretty local.

Last night, we did a 128 mile round trip in my M3P, but the range dropped from 268 miles to 98 miles, ie a 170 mile drop.

Outdoor temperatures were about 6C, and we kept the inside at 20C. Top speed for the trip ranged from 50mph to around 65mph because of traffic and the fog, and there were no stops or hold-ups. I've never used a supercharger.

This seemed a rather large range drop, so I'm relieved I didn't buy a standard range.

Any comments

• Funny
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I've now had my M3P for just over a year, and last winter, because of COVID we stayed pretty local.

Last night, we did a 128 mile round trip in my M3P, but the range dropped from 268 miles to 98 miles, ie a 170 mile drop.

Outdoor temperatures were about 6C, and we kept the inside at 20C. Top speed for the trip ranged from 50mph to around 65mph because of traffic and the fog, and there were no stops or hold-ups. I've never used a supercharger.

This seemed a rather large range drop, so I'm relieved I didn't buy a standard range.

Any comments
No surprise for me - a pretty standard EV experience. Ranges in an ev are far more sensitive to driving in less than ideal conditions. Wet roads, chilly temps, running hvac, wind all reduce range (more than an ICE car would lose). The 20” tires seem steal a lot of range too (40 miles according to teslas configurator). The SR+ is going to be more efficient than your M3P though so the drop off probably wouldn’t have been as severe. Id be willing to bet an SR+ is comparable in real world range to an M3P.

But…you seem to not need any more range given you’ve never been to a supercharger. And don’t dismiss the fun factor of your MP3. I am super jealous.

Reactions: jimbo_hippo
Thoughts are: it's totally normal.

The newer base model RWD now (SR+ name has been dropped) can be charged to 100% every day.

The LR/Performance are only supposed to be regularly charged to 80%

So in the real world the "baby" Model 3 has as much everyday real world range as the others which, in my opinion, makes it a great choice now.

Hope this helps.

I have a regular 180 mile round trip journey that my family of four take to see the in-laws.

Tesla clearly advised me that the SR+ might struggle with this journey in the coldest of weather. I struggled to understand why a car with 275 miles of range wouldn’t easily make the 180 trip. But Tesla were clear that it would be tight in cold weather.

So I purchased the LR version and regularly arrive back from this journey with at least a 25% charge.

That was probably the right choice. Particularly if I end up with some range loss over time as well.

Reactions: Liquidv
I really struggled with Range in Northern Ireland yesterday with a day of stop start out on the road with work, including an 8 mile trip that lost 22 miles of range at 40 mph…. Have an order in for a Y and will sell SR+ as feel mileage will look poor on these in a couple years as 300+ becomes more standard min advertised Range

Reactions: Liquidv
The LR/Performance are only supposed to be regularly charged to 90%

1638622506930.png

100% if you plan on going on a long trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: init6
If I did a 128 mile round trip in 6C temps in my '21 SR+ (18" aero wheels, heat pump), I'd expect to arrive home with no less than 45% battery remaining. That's based on my real world experience doing a 115 mile round trip commute every day over hilly terrain in similar (or lower) temps. Maybe it's because the SR+ is more efficient than the P. Maybe it's a difference in driving styles. Probably a combination of both. But in no way would I discourage someone from getting the RWD if they had to routinely make 130 mile trips in inclement weather, except possibly to take advantage of the AWD in snow conditions. All notwithstanding the joy I'm sure you get from that 3 second 0-60 time. :D

Reactions: Alistairuk
I've been charging my LR to 95% for long journeys about twice a week. It's started complaining about the battery abuse but since it's a Tusker car I'm not particularly bothered if the battery is shagged when it goes back in three years; should go some way towards offsetting their "admin" fee.

Starting from a hilly part of Devon and driving 180 miles down the M5/M4 at 72-74mph uses 66% of the battery and gets me about halfway home before I need to hit a Supercharger. That's using 16% more than the official published range which I'm pretty happy with. The energy graph is usually more pessimistic but it hurts a little bit going from 220Wh/m in the summer to 270Wh/m in the winter months.

Reactions: browellm
I have a regular 180 mile round trip journey that my family of four take to see the in-laws.

Tesla clearly advised me that the SR+ might struggle with this journey in the coldest of weather. I struggled to understand why a car with 275 miles of range wouldn’t easily make the 180 trip. But Tesla were clear that it would be tight in cold weather.
Two reasons. Maths and Physics.
275 is totally optimum and based on an mix of town and highway. It is not the road trip range. You would not expect to really get that any more than match the stated mpg at a constant 56mph in an ICE. Lets be generous and say -10% for not driving in the WLTP/EPA way. 247
Winter. Cold weather equals denser air. Cold air affects battery performance and requires more cabin heat. -20%. 197.
Now you are planning to arrive with 17 miles or 6% of your battery left assuming it doesn't rain ( more drag) or you get diverted or in a long holdup. So what you have to ask yourself at this point is do you feel lucky? Well do you?
Clearly not so you bought an LR. Good choice

Reactions: Llama.

Any comments
I estimate that to be about 360 Wh/mile, I assume the car started from cold to took some power to warm cabin and battery. If you pre-heat while connected to power it might have been better.

In my LR last weekend when it was colder I pre-heated and I was getting 346Wh/mile, so even though you have less efficient wheels you lost quite a bit more than I would expect.

1638635114199.png

• Informative
Reactions: Godsense
I've now had my M3P for just over a year, and last winter, because of COVID we stayed pretty local.......

......This seemed a rather large range drop, so I'm relieved I didn't buy a standard range.

This is my 7th winter with an EV as our 'main' family car.

Seeing people complain about the range drop in winter on ANY Tesla is like listening to the snowflake generation moan about only having 3G connection on their phones when WIFI does down :).

We've taken our 75D X (less range than a SR+ 3) to Scotland in winter with zero range concerns. If you really want to know what range anxiety in winter is like go and swap into a gen1/2 24kWh Nissan Leaf for a week, I promise you will never ever 'worry' about range in any Tesla after experiencing true range anxiety!

32716830251_68022bfbf5_c_d.jpg

This is my 7th winter with an EV as our 'main' family car.

Seeing people complain about the range drop in winter on ANY Tesla is like listening to the snowflake generation moan about only having 3G connection on their phones when WIFI does down :).

We've taken our 75D X (less range than a SR+ 3) to Scotland in winter with zero range concerns. If you really want to know what range anxiety in winter is like go and swap into a gen1/2 24kWh Nissan Leaf for a week, I promise you will never ever 'worry' about range in any Tesla after experiencing true range anxiety!

32716830251_68022bfbf5_c_d.jpg
Gangzoom, totally what you said.

we came from a mk1 30kW LEAF to a 2019 SR+ (One of the first, bought new) and now run a 75D S alongside it too. On anything other than round the doors day the SR+ is like living in an eternal comfort zone compared with the LEAF which was like a fat boy at an all you can eat buffet on the Motorway. It was a great car but terrifyingly inefficient at anything like national speed limit.

the SR+ is now in its third year and still hikes around the country, often with kids and dogs and ‘stuff’ in it and is never in a panic zone. Amd it’s worth pointing out that there are a LOT more Superchargers or 3rd party stops now too.

if I’m ever asked which one to buy my advice is, if you want the pick of the bunch get the LR, if you have a job where someone else except yourself is telling you you have to be there an hour ago then get the LR, if you always have model envy or you want something to tell the grandkids, get the P, if you work for yourself or don’t work much and you want a car that’s never disappointing but you don’t NEED to spend the extra considerable amount of thousands, get the SR+. After the LEAF, it’s like joining the executive flyer programme of range. And if you find yourself stopping a few more times on those longer runs (which most people seem to do about 3 times a year In my experience) then plug it in at a Supercharger, grab a brew and ponder how you’ll spend the money you saved while you sip your coffee.

many people seem to forget why they bought the SR+ and if it doesn’t work for you then you were either a bit lax on your homework, or at the time, it was what you could afford. Having driven the SR+ to various corners of the country, it’s fair to say that unless you head through the middle of Wales or remote parts of Scotland, or have to peel off into Norfolk, it’s pretty hard to even get a mild flap over range in the SR+. Yeah you’ll stop more often but never covered in sweat, praying as you pull up (Can I reference the LEAF again?).

I've noticed that when pushed, many people confess that it’s their partners (who sleep half the time in the passenger seats) who seem to think they stop too often. at the risk of sounding patronising, maybe a quick chat about household finances or a flashback to conversations when buying would help here. It’s not like there wasn’t a reason you got a SR+!

FWIW, the Model S 75D (2017) goes farther but not much and the same rule applies. It was a massive jump to an 85D when I bought it. I didn’t want to cash in Tesla shares so whenever I stop, I open my shares app and remind myself what I did with the extra bit and I feel a lot better!

Last edited:
I’ve never actually suffered the severe winter range drop in my SR+ that is claimed. Not on long/cold/wet trips anyway; I can get at least 150 miles in this weather and by then I need to stop for a break. I can appreciate that doesn’t suit everyone though.

Range has been horrible with daily drives recently however, which is more aligned with winter range drops, but I’m not fussed because I don’t typically travel more than 100 miles a week anyway so can top up.