TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Relocating to UK - take Tesla with??

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by sefton, Sep 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. sefton

sefton New Member

Hi,

I am relocating to the UK from Hong Kong and would like to take my Tesla with me - does anyone have any experience of doing this?

Questions I have are:

Is a Hong Kong Tesla compatible with UK charging?

Is the warranty valid or void?

I have submitted an enquiry to Tesla via "My Tesla" but while I wait on their reply I thought I would check if anyone has done this before or knows of anyone who has done.

My thanks in advance for any help.

Sefton

2. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

Yes. Same electrical system, same connector.

Void. Or more accurately 'still valid', but you have to bring the car back to HK for warranty service.

3. ediot

ediot Member

have you checked your check-in baggage allowance?

• Funny x 1
  4. FequalsMA

FequalsMA Member

if you actually took the process as far as relocating the car, the onboard SIM card would definitely need to be swapped (and maybe even the LTE anntena?)

5. Argonaut

Argonaut Member

Or would this just mean that Tesla incurs super roaming charges?

6. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

There are specific issues with Tesla that are different from other cars, but some of the issues can be addressed looking at car importation services like this one:
    Shipping a Vehicle From Hong Kong to the UK | My Car Import

I found that in a quick search, I'm sure there is better information out there.

I know Tesla uses a different plug in Europe and North America. There was a thing where some people in Europe drove their Tesla's around the world (flying them across oceans I believe) and one of the things they needed to do was make adapters for North American superchargers. I don't know what plug Asian Teslas use.

7. Lerxt

Lerxt Member

It’s a compatible plug but the warranty is void and they will only service your car to the HK standard. You’d be better to buy an new one there.

8. gubes

gubes Member

I think you would need to pay some form of FRT which may mean buying one here in the used market is cheaper than bringing yours over. Not exactly sure, but that would be my gut feel.

9. Jswlim

Jswlim Member

I'm interested in this topic as well. Thinking I might one day bring my Tesla back to Australia with me.