Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Relocating to UK - take Tesla with??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I am relocating to the UK from Hong Kong and would like to take my Tesla with me - does anyone have any experience of doing this?

Questions I have are:

Is a Hong Kong Tesla compatible with UK charging?

Is the warranty valid or void?

I have submitted an enquiry to Tesla via "My Tesla" but while I wait on their reply I thought I would check if anyone has done this before or knows of anyone who has done.

My thanks in advance for any help.

Sefton

There are specific issues with Tesla that are different from other cars, but some of the issues can be addressed looking at car importation services like this one:
Shipping a Vehicle From Hong Kong to the UK | My Car Import

I found that in a quick search, I'm sure there is better information out there.

I know Tesla uses a different plug in Europe and North America. There was a thing where some people in Europe drove their Tesla's around the world (flying them across oceans I believe) and one of the things they needed to do was make adapters for North American superchargers. I don't know what plug Asian Teslas use.

Hi,

I am relocating to the UK from Hong Kong and would like to take my Tesla with me - does anyone have any experience of doing this?

Questions I have are:

I have submitted an enquiry to Tesla via "My Tesla" but while I wait on their reply I thought I would check if anyone has done this before or knows of anyone who has done.

Sefton

How did it go in the end? Did you manage to ship your car over?

I’m considering this option too.
Shipping and importing the car is not the major problem.

Blow issues are the bugging point for this process:
1. MCU software update to local version. Will tesla do this in UK? Since our cars are UK spec. The minimum is to get the navigation and maps updated. I don’t mind not having a web browser etc.

2. Connectivity problem, will swapping out the sim work? if so can tesla UK swap the sim for me?

I have contacted Tesla both in Hong Kong and UK, but have no reply.

I only found this PDF with part of the info:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...p-experience-grey-market-grey-vehicles_NA.pdf

My case would be a grey vehicle in a core market, but most of the functions have a “Not guaranteed” status, meaning it could be done if tesla want to do it?

If the car can’t be used with these basic functions, then it really not a tesla experience then.

The car transporting website mentioned above told me the had imported 5 Tesla to UK this year (2919) already. But according to their customer me nothing really works apart from the basic driving of the car, AC and radio.

Any one with UK import experience they’d like to share?

Hi,

Questions I have are:

Sefton

Do you have a charging plug on the car compatible with European Superchargers? That would be a big problem, but maybe resolvable.

Do you have a charging plug on the car compatible with European Superchargers? That would be a big problem, but maybe resolvable.
Yes HK Model S have the European charge port that is similar to the Type 2 or Mennekes system but can support Superchargers as well.
However I recommend that the OP contacts Tesla UK and gets a definite answer. My understanding is that Tesla is reluctant to support cars built for a different market, but given the UK and HK market cars are so similar there may be some flexibility.
My recommendation would be to sell the HK car locally and buy a UK spec car. It will appear to cost more at first but you may end up with a unsalable unicorn.

Yes HK Model S have the European charge port that is similar to the Type 2 or Mennekes system but can support Superchargers as well.
However I recommend that the OP contacts Tesla UK and gets a definite answer. My understanding is that Tesla is reluctant to support cars built for a different market, but given the UK and HK market cars are so similar there may be some flexibility.
My recommendation would be to sell the HK car locally and buy a UK spec car. It will appear to cost more at first but you may end up with a unsalable unicorn.

I agree. I have left a message at the UK site and waiting for them to reply.

A few weeks ago, I asked staff at Tesla Tsuen Wan service centre and staff on the Tesla HKG service telephone line about moving my car room HK to UK. After both teams 'checked with their supervisors', I received two contradicting answers:

A few days after my first discussion, after they checked with their office, Tsuen Wan service centre staff told me: "If you take your car to UK, everything will be transferred automatically. You don't need to worry about anything. The warranty and free supercharging will be fully OK in UK"

A few days later, I tested this answer by calling the Tesla support line. After several reminder calls, they informed me; "If you take your car to UK, nothing is transferrable. The warranty and free supercharging will not be permitted in UK. Additionally, the navigation and SIM can never be enabled for use in the UK. You should never move a car from one country to another. For example: If you drive a French Tesla to Germany, the SIM, navigation and free charging will not work."

In summary, and consistent with their traditionally poor product support knowledge, Tesla HKG have provided contrasting answers to the question about relocating vehicles from HKG to other countries. I have more recently asked for written clarification however they said they will NOT confirm anything in writing.

I will sell my car in HKG.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
A few weeks ago, I asked staff at Tesla Tsuen Wan service centre and staff on the Tesla HKG service telephone line about moving my car room HK to UK. After both teams 'checked with their supervisors', I received two contradicting answers:

A few days after my first discussion, after they checked with their office, Tsuen Wan service centre staff told me: "If you take your car to UK, everything will be transferred automatically. You don't need to worry about anything. The warranty and free supercharging will be fully OK in UK"

A few days later, I tested this answer by calling the Tesla support line. After several reminder calls, they informed me; "If you take your car to UK, nothing is transferrable. The warranty and free supercharging will not be permitted in UK. Additionally, the navigation and SIM can never be enabled for use in the UK. You should never move a car from one country to another. For example: If you drive a French Tesla to Germany, the SIM, navigation and free charging will not work."

In summary, and consistent with their traditionally poor product support knowledge, Tesla HKG have provided contrasting answers to the question about relocating vehicles from HKG to other countries. I have more recently asked for written clarification however they said they will NOT confirm anything in writing.

I will sell my car in HKG.
As far as driving a French Tesla to Germany and claiming it will not work this is completely false. The SIM and Navigation work perfectly fine across Europe. Being in Switzerland I drive through France, Germany and Italy all the time without any issues at all.

As far as driving a French Tesla to Germany and claiming it will not work this is completely false. The SIM and Navigation work perfectly fine across Europe. Being in Switzerland I drive through France, Germany and Italy all the time without any issues at all.

Youtube is full of videos showing Europeans traveling between European countries in their Teslas with no problems. Bjorn's being the best known.

I have been a fan of Tesla Bjorn for a few years. Excellent videos.
We all see that Bjorn's Tesla navigation screen updates when he is driving outside Norway.

Seems that Tesla's HK staff don't do enough research about their own product and services.
Many times they have provided conflicting information, after apparently spending many days researching with 'their office'.

Tesla HK's information is consistently inconsistent.

Hello gents.
We have helped many car owners to relocate Tesla from Hong Kong to UK and Europe. Here is a few things.
1. Your SIm won't work, you will require to buy a local sim and swap it with the UK sim and update the APN. Sometimes it will work without updating.
2. Your Navigation will not work, you will need to either figure some ways to get Tesla to change the car into UK specs (But they won't do it at the moment)
3. SC and everything works just fine. Autopilot may works with internet access.
4. The charge port is exactly the same as HK and we have so far moved around 12 cars MS and MX and without any trouble.
If you have any more questions feel free to PM me. It is actually not so hard to import a Tesla to UK but you have to find someone who know what they are doing.