Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Relocating to UK - take Tesla with??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello gents.
We have helped many car owners to relocate Tesla from Hong Kong to UK and Europe. Here is a few things.
1. Your SIm won't work, you will require to buy a local sim and swap it with the UK sim and update the APN. Sometimes it will work without updating.
2. Your Navigation will not work, you will need to either figure some ways to get Tesla to change the car into UK specs (But they won't do it at the moment)
3. SC and everything works just fine. Autopilot may works with internet access.
4. The charge port is exactly the same as HK and we have so far moved around 12 cars MS and MX and without any trouble.
If you have any more questions feel free to PM me. It is actually not so hard to import a Tesla to UK but you have to find someone who know what they are doing.

Hi there
We imported our model S froM HK to UK last year. Like you say, we have replaced the SIm but Tesla has been unable to update so that we can use the sat NAV etc. Do you have any idea what should be done?

Hi there
We imported our model S froM HK to UK last year. Like you say, we have replaced the SIm but Tesla has been unable to update so that we can use the sat NAV etc. Do you have any idea what should be done?
Hi there, I plan to relocate the car to uk as well. Would be Good to hear Some info from a HKer.
Is the SC still free in UK (or even other Europe countries ?)

if no update , cannot navigate from point to point ?
Thanks for helping.

Hello gents.
We have helped many car owners to relocate Tesla from Hong Kong to UK and Europe. Here is a few things.
1. Your SIm won't work, you will require to buy a local sim and swap it with the UK sim and update the APN. Sometimes it will work without updating.
2. Your Navigation will not work, you will need to either figure some ways to get Tesla to change the car into UK specs (But they won't do it at the moment)
4. The charge port is exactly the same as HK and we have so far moved around 12 cars MS and MX and without any trouble.
If you have any more questions feel free to PM me. It is actually not so hard to import a Tesla to UK but you have to find someone who know what they are doing.

Thanks for the info, I got my car imported to UK with HK setting.

Initially the car didn’t have any data connection due to the HK Tesla SIM don’t support roaming.
I then change the SIM to a local carrier O2 monthly plan, rebooted the MCU and I have data for Spotify streaming, MCU Google map and traffic info. I can access the car via the app.

I even got a software update a few days later after I connected the car to my home’s wifi.
This update still had the HK region restrictions, i.e. no web browser and calendar.

What I don’t have:
Turn by turn Nav, cause the car still have the HK Map data.
Auto pilot see the UK speed signs as KPH, even with the unit set to MPH, it will translate it from KPH, eg when it see a UK 50 sign, the Instrument Cluster will show 31 MPH.
This should affect the autopilot cursing function as the car will drive or cruse at the wrong speed.

Spotify still can play with the Tesla account but will play HK locale playlists.

With the help of the guys above we managed to update the region setting for the car and update the map data for UK. (6-7GB worth is map data alone!)
Now the speed data is read with a MPH base. This will enable correct autopilot function.
It also now have the turn by turn UK nav.
Also the car nor have the web browser and calendar app.

However the Spotify won’t work.
It keeps on loading and even say the Tesla account is invalid. I then tried with my own premium ac, which can be logged in, but I still can’t stream any songs.
All other data works, so it’s not the wifi is SIM card.
It’s either the app (region locked?) or connection with Spotify server, but it was streaming when it was in HK region setting.

I’m still working on that.
I update if we manage to fix this minor problem.

I have not tried SC, I expect it to work and will update when I have the chance to try.
TBH in UK the use of SC is less likely unless you live right next to one. Mostly you charge at home or local paid charging points.

Once again thanks TK, I would recommend anyone moving their car to another region to contact them for pointers!

Hello gents.

Would you be able to do that if the car equipped with the latest e-sim hardware?

Thanks for the info, I got my car imported to UK with HK setting.

Initially the car didn’t have any data connection due to the HK Tesla SIM don’t support roaming.
I then change the SIM to a local carrier O2 monthly plan, rebooted the MCU and I have data for Spotify streaming, MCU Google map and traffic info. I can access the car via the app.

I even got a software update a few days later after I connected the car to my home’s wifi.
This update still had the HK region restrictions, i.e. no web browser and calendar.

What I don’t have:
Turn by turn Nav, cause the car still have the HK Map data.
Auto pilot see the UK speed signs as KPH, even with the unit set to MPH, it will translate it from KPH, eg when it see a UK 50 sign, the Instrument Cluster will show 31 MPH.
This should affect the autopilot cursing function as the car will drive or cruse at the wrong speed.

Spotify still can play with the Tesla account but will play HK locale playlists.

With the help of the guys above we managed to update the region setting for the car and update the map data for UK. (6-7GB worth is map data alone!)
Now the speed data is read with a MPH base. This will enable correct autopilot function.
It also now have the turn by turn UK nav.
Also the car nor have the web browser and calendar app.

However the Spotify won’t work.
It keeps on loading and even say the Tesla account is invalid. I then tried with my own premium ac, which can be logged in, but I still can’t stream any songs.
All other data works, so it’s not the wifi is SIM card.
It’s either the app (region locked?) or connection with Spotify server, but it was streaming when it was in HK region setting.

I’m still working on that.
I update if we manage to fix this minor problem.

I have not tried SC, I expect it to work and will update when I have the chance to try.
TBH in UK the use of SC is less likely unless you live right next to one. Mostly you charge at home or local paid charging points.

Once again thanks TK, I would recommend anyone moving their car to another region to contact them for pointers!

Glad to read your great sharings. I'm also considering to relocate my MX to UK in 2021. May I ask which company did you use and how much is the total cost involoved (including the above fine-tune)?

I know Tesla uses a different plug in Europe and North America. There was a thing where some people in Europe drove their Tesla's around the world (flying them across oceans I believe) and one of the things they needed to do was make adapters for North American superchargers. I don't know what plug Asian Teslas use.
To answer now that this thread's been resurrected... It seems to be not universal for Asian market Teslas.

Apparently, in South Korea, they use the same inlet as we do in North America. Japanese market Teslas do, as well as I observed at Tesla's small booth (!) at Tokyo Motor Show 2019. I also spoke to a rep there and held their CHAdeMO adapter (same as the one in the US). I've attended Tokyo Motor Show for many hours and hadn't seen a Tesla booth there until that year.

And for China, as we've seen, Teslas (at least Model 3) have two GB/T inlets: one for AC charging and the other for DC charging.

For Hong Kong, it seems like it's none of the above.

• Informative
Reactions: wdolson
Happy guy from Helsinki here. Have to give these guys credit. Few days after connecting them everything works.
Excellent. No problem at all except my first CAT Ethernet cable with multiple soft wire ends was impossible to get to the
diagnostig plug. Luckily found another with solid wire and then everything went smoothly.
The diagnostic cable is available from the net for $45, so that would have been even easier.
Great job.