TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Reluctantly Selling 2018 Model 3

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by Enadler, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Enadler

Enadler Member

We are moving and I am forced to choose between my two children, my Model S or my Model 3. Although I enjoy driving the 3 a little more than the S, I am selling the 3 as I need the hatchback option to travel with my dog.

My loss is your opportunity!

Details-
    Midnight Silver Metallic, 18" Aero Wheels, Long Range Battery, Premium Upgrades, Enhanced Autopilot.

3000 miles. Car is 3 months old. Vehicle is like new with the exception of some curb rash on 3 of the wheels. I am including pictures for your review.

All in the car cost $60,210 including all taxes and fees. Of course, I will get a $7500 rebate which brings my effective cost to $52,710.

I am asking $50,000 for the car to take into account 3 months of depreciation.

Car is located in Briarcliff Manor, NY.

I am having problems uploading pictures so here is a link them.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  2. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

Sounds like a very fair price. GLWS!

• Like x 3
  3. branden

branden Member

This is exactly how Model 3s should be priced at this point. I may be interested if another one I'm considering falls through - I'll know later today or tomorrow.

• Like x 1
  4. Sunshine State

Not knocking your logic but after taxes and fees the new buyer will be paying more for a used car than you paid for it new. It’s a great deal anytime you can walk away almost free. Good luck with the sale

• Like x 1
  5. azred

azred Active Member

#5 azred, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Suggest you show the invoice. Otherwise one might think you are hiding thousands of dollars of sales tax and license fees in that $60k number -- and actually asking new invoice price or more as the post above mine suggests.

Also, you may be able to get curb rash mitigated for a few hundred bucks. Won't be perfect but I did that for two of my slightly nicked 19" wheels and only a very close inspection would reveal that they had been touched. (However your pictures indicate pretty serious damage and a good as new fix would be much more expensive.)

• Like x 1
  6. Sunshine State

I wasn’t suggesting any hidden taxes or fees just citing that he said his all in cost after sales tax, delivery, etc, was $52,710. The buyer of the car used will still pay transportation, registration and sales tax for a total price that is higher than the new cost. In the end he will be able to sell it, I was just citing the irony of the used cost being higher than the new cost. That doesn’t happen often.

• Love x 1
  7. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

It's not like buying a new car lets you skip out on taxes/registration. The slightly higher cost compared to buying new and subtracting credits is fair as a "skip the line" cost IMO.

• Like x 1
  8. Sunshine State

#8 Sunshine State, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    No, he included those costs in the total, that’s what the irony is. Anytime you can sell a used car for what you paid new you are doing really good. It’s well documented that there isn’t much of a line anymore if you want a car equipped with the large battery and premium package. That is the reason they are now starting to offer the additional packages (performance, All wheel drive, white interior) to stimulate sales to buyers that have been just sitting on reservations instead of configuring them.

• Like x 1
  9. RV8R

RV8R Member

New to this forum. How do I PM this member, can't find the link? Thx

10. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2018.42.2

Click on the username and then Start a Conversation.
    upload_2018-6-21_12-39-57.png

If you don't see that option yet, you might need to make a few more posts before you have the ability to PM.

11. harry

harry Member

Everyone seems to assume that we all are eligible for the $7500 fed rebate. That is certainly not the case, and for someone who does not qualify, this is a great deal.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  12. Plan B

Plan B Active Member

I have never been able to receive the full $7500 tax credit with the Tesla's I have purchased over the years.

$6500 was the most I ever got. Wish I was in a higher tax bracket LOL.

13. Enadler

Enadler Member

Thanks all. My Model 3 has been sold.

14. jgd108

jgd108 Member

Nice!
    AFAIK and as others have said you do not get the tax credit if you sell within a year.

15. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

You and they are WRONG.
    The only special thing that prevents a seller from being entitled to claim the tax credit is having purchased the car for resale.

• Like x 2