Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remain Connected to Wi-Fi in Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone been able to get this to work? I can set my iPhone 12 as a HotSpot, log on to an internet site i.e. SiriusXM, it starts playing and as soon as I shift into Drive it goes away. I went back in and selected the "Remain Connected In Drive" box.

Thanks in advance

That’s exactly what it’s doing. So I guess I don’t understand what this feature is supposed to do you us,
Now that Tesla has enabled WiFi while driving (using your phone as a WiFi hotspot) the Tesla vehicle can stream audio (Slacker, Spotify) and provide the Tesla Navigation features (satellite imagery, real-time traffic updates) without requiring you to purchase Tesla Premium Connectivity ($10/mo.) When the Tesla vehicle is parked you can use the Tesla browser (including streamed content) and view Netflix/Youtube/Hulu.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Now that Tesla has enabled WiFi while driving (using your phone as a WiFi hotspot) the Tesla vehicle can stream audio (Slacker, Spotify) and provide the Tesla Navigation features (satellite imagery, real-time traffic updates) without requiring you to purchase Tesla Premium Connectivity ($10/mo.) When the Tesla vehicle is parked you can use the Tesla browser (including streamed content) and view Netflix/Youtube/Hulu.
I have re-read the description for the WiFi hotspot support and while you can stream audio and video over your phone's WiFi and also use the Tesla built-in internet browser and also Caraoke Tesla requires Premium Connectivity to use Live Traffic Visualization and Satellite-View Maps. Using the Tesla built in Navigation System to navigate to a destination does not require either Premium Connectivity or a WiFi Hotspot.

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I have re-read the description for the WiFi hotspot support and while you can stream audio and video over your phone's WiFi Tesla reserves Navigation System satellite Imagery and real time traffic updates for Premium Connectivity. Using the Tesla built in Navigation system does not require either Premium Connectivity or a WiFi Hotspot.
The premium connectivity is required for real time traffic updates- traffic congestion , supercharger usage status, searching for location address - you will need to key in the exact address

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
Here's a photo that might help clear up the confusion. As you can see, only Live Traffic Visualization and Satellite-View Maps cannot be gotten by simply connecting your car to your phone's Wi-Fi hotspot (as denoted by the * which indicates you can get them by connecting your car to your phone's wifi). I can confirm, having one car that does not have premium connectivity and one that does, that this is indeed correct.

Tesla-Connectivity-Packages.png

I guess something is preventing me from using my SiriusXM account from the Tesla browser. It works on my iMAC, iPAD and iPhone (not using the app but browser). Bummer but BT still works.
The Tesla browser will block streaming content (audio and video) while driving. You should be able to stream SXM from the web page while parked.