Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remaining Value of my Damaged Tesla Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
At 2018.11 my Model S got crushed to a wall by my friend and have a previous damage of the driver side rear door only cause a huge bent, but only apply to that door. I have the picture.
Consider it have about 55000 mi, the regular retail price should be around $35000 when everything is ok, but under currently situation, I need to discuss a price with my friend instead.
I just need some advice on how bad this damage is.

And, it already sit in the body shop for over 50 days but not even receive a single parts, yet. I can't live without a car.
And the reason I bring the car to the shop at 2019.1 because he dont have enough money to repair it back at 2018.11, so I postpone the repair date by 2 month.

Should I ask for rental car cost? Should I ask for the decrease in the value during this un-driveable condition? What anything else I should consider if I don't consider he as my friend?

open
open

I'm not sure I understand your situation enough, but it sounds like your car had existing door damage and your friend is responsible for doing front end damage that has caused a coolant leak. So the car is sitting at a body shop waiting for the appropriate parts to repair the car. Meanwhile you're out your means of transportation and a depreciating car that you cannot use. You're asking if your friend should pay for the cost of a rental car in the meantime and an estimate depreciation cost during the time that you can't use your car.

I would first check both your car insurance policy and your friend's to see what would be covered and who is responsible. Did your friend ask to drive your car, was anyone under the influence, or did you in any way compel your friend to drive your car? Based on that I would think some form of compensation would be appropriate for the car rental but depreciation might just be a premium assumed by all Tesla owners. I don't think non-Tesla owners are aware of the faster depreciation of a new Tesla and the incredibly long service/repair times, and that shouldn't be on them when they agreed to drive your car unless they begging to drive it. I'm sure there will be a wide range of opinions here, but that's how I would evaluate it if a friend/relative damaged my Tesla.

I'm not sure I understand your situation enough, but it sounds like your car had existing door damage and your friend is responsible for doing front end damage that has caused a coolant leak. So the car is sitting at a body shop waiting for the appropriate parts to repair the car. Meanwhile you're out your means of transportation and a depreciating car that you cannot use. You're asking if your friend should pay for the cost of a rental car in the meantime and an estimate depreciation cost during the time that you can't use your car.

I would first check both your car insurance policy and your friend's to see what would be covered and who is responsible. Did your friend ask to drive your car, was anyone under the influence, or did you in any way compel your friend to drive your car? Based on that I would think some form of compensation would be appropriate for the car rental but depreciation might just be a premium assumed by all Tesla owners. I don't think non-Tesla owners are aware of the faster depreciation of a new Tesla and the incredibly long service/repair times, and that shouldn't be on them when they agreed to drive your car unless they begging to drive it. I'm sure there will be a wide range of opinions here, but that's how I would evaluate it if a friend/relative damaged my Tesla.

For the who ask me to drive my car part.
He asked me to drive my car because he have to do something. He crushed my car to the wall when parking. I still have the text he sent me when he wants to drive my car.

And since I never rent a car or ask to rent a car in the US. I have no idea how much I should ask for the rental part. I had been paying around $30 to Uber everyday since this thing happen until now.

Your friend should cover the cost to repair the damage he caused, whether by his insurance or out of his own pocket.
His insurance will cover the cost of your rental car.

If your friend does not have insurance then you need to decide how much of a friend he is and charge him accordingly.