Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remember when all the pilots here were like FINALLY A YOKE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
Without actually realizing that the use of the car steering wheel is completely different than a plane where you don’t have to rotate it multiple times to make a turn

Just watched @omarsultan video of him driving it and it looks awkward and just not as pleasant as a wheel, who would have thought a circle would be best to use for a rotating motion...

Thanks elon for reinventing the wheel ..

by your comment, I'm guessing you haven't actually tried it yet ?
I tried it for 2 days and it was a refreshing change. U-turns at traffic light; no big deal.
But sure, some people are resistant to change.
That’s a weak argument, you’re basically saying I can’t know it’s bad without actually trying it. I know sticking a fork into a live electrical outlet is bad and I’ve never tried it, there are many things I know that are bad without actually doing them.
Seeing someone awkwardly handle a steering “wheel” tells me that a wheel is better for rotational motion than a rectangle.

Without actually realizing that the use of the car steering wheel is completely different than a plane where you don’t have to rotate it multiple times to make a turn
I remember because I was a former pilot and there have been at least a couple threads about this already with varying opinions . Frankly, I think I like it but will reserve my final opinion until I get an chance to test drive it. I don't have Einstein like ability to perform a "though experiment" and realize the real world outcome before doing it :)

Last edited:
I remember because I was a former pilot and there have been at least a couple threads about this already with varying opinions . Frankly, I think I like it but will reserve my final opinion until I get an chance to test drive it. I don't have Einstein like ability to perform a "though experiment" and realize the real world outcome before doing it :)
Didn’t know it takes an Einstein to be able to see something in action and know it doesn’t work as well as it previously did, but alrighty.

That’s a weak argument, you’re basically saying I can’t know it’s bad without actually trying it. I know sticking a fork into a live electrical outlet is bad and I’ve never tried it, there are many things I know that are bad without actually doing them.
Seeing someone awkwardly handle a steering “wheel” tells me that a wheel is better for rotational motion than a rectangle.
Knight Industries already tested the yoke on the Two Thousand and Three Thousand models for several years and their test driver, Michael, had only good things to say about it.

Didn’t know it takes an Einstein to be able to see something in action and know it doesn’t work as well as it previously did, but alrighty.
I would hope you know I was being a bit sarcastic. :) Just saying I never make judgement on things like this without actually trying it. I've been surprised in the past. I am wondering why there is yet another thread like this when there is only speculation about how something is going to work and not having any input after trying it.

Reactions: pilotSteve and AMPd
well I would hope you know I was being a bit sarcastic. :) Just saying I never make judgement on things like this without actually trying it. I've been surprised in the past. I am wondering why there is yet another thread like this when there is only speculation about how something is going to work and not having any input after trying it.
I’m not sure there’s anymore speculating to be done now that we know the steering doesn’t work the way some people were saying or hoping it would work. When it was first unveiled many people were saying and hoping lock to lock steering would be achieved by turning the yoke 90 degrees at slow speeds, so that way you never have to actually make full turns with it, and that would adjust based on your speed.
Now we know it doesn’t work that way and will not work that way for the foreseeable future, so we’re stuck with using a rectangle.

Reactions: whitex
Cross post:
Along with a more detailed summary of the UI... not sure this was a step forward in an intuitive design. ;)

It seems the yoke is required to turn way more than 90 degrees - so much for all the fanboys faith that it would be variable ratio and never turn more than 90 degrees - believing doesn't make it so folks. I wonder how well that works when Navigate On AutoPilot turns it >90 degrees and the user has to emergency take over. The video clearly shows the confusing nature of the directional signals when the driver confuses the signals at ~4:45, and that's while all is calm, vs. changing lanes on a busy highway where taking eyes off the road to peck at tiny touch buttons doesn't seem like a good interface design. Of course good luck finding the horn button in an emergency.

Bottom line, it seems to be designed by video game designers, not automotive UI designers. It explains all the buttons as far away from the driver's line of sight as possible. The only thing that's missing is your health and number of lives left.

Would you be thinking that Tesla will make recall or service appointment for current 2021 model owners to come and change the non-speed variable steering rack to the speed variable steering? If one have learned to avoid potential accidents so far then will they be quick to learn it again with changed behaviour?