TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Blog Remembering Tesla's Original Budget Car - the Model S 40 kWh

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Ty_McMahan, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Ty_McMahan

Ty_McMahan Member

As the world continues to wait for Tesla to produce an affordable Model 3, it’s worth remembering that value was part of Tesla’s pitch a decade ago. When the company debuted the highly-anticipated Model S in 2009, they issued a press release touting a $49,900 electric car. Chief Executive Elon Musk offered a quote later...
    READ FULL ARTICLE

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. GSP

GSP Member

"swapped for a Model 3 that starts at $49,000 (interestingly the same price as the Model S 40 kWh)"

This is not correct. The 40 kWh Model S sold for about $57,400. The below $50k price was after the US federal income tax credit.

$49k for today's LR 3 is the price before the tax credit.

GSP

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. 2xM3

2xM3 New Member

Collectible because it was decontented and there weren’t that many. The other S’s in the same year aren’t collectibles. No. I don’t see any historical case in car history where a decontented model became a collectible.

“Hey look what I got in my garage. An old Tesla S with the smallest battery available!”

• Funny x 1
  4. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

The orginal Model S 40 kWh came with a locked 60 kWh battery.
    Tesla unlocks the 60 kWh capacity when a Model S 40 kWh is traded in resulting in even fewer 40 kWh models in the wild :cool:

upload_2018-9-1_12-13-25.png

5. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

Right.

We should also remember that the Model 3 LR/PUP (at about $43k after the $7500 federal tax credit) is in 2018 money, has over double the range, is much quicker, and enjoys a massive Supercharger network at low cost. The value proposition for a Tesla car has improved dramatically.

6. Charlie_T

Charlie_T Member

What about the Delorean, the Tucker or the VW Beatle (original)?

7. Exiom

Exiom Member

Is that a concept / aftermarket nose cone and badge on the picture or did MS40 actually came looking like that?

I want that nose cone...

8. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Don’t forget inflation and buying power making the Model 3 LR even more stupid cheap compared to the S40.

9. Familyfirstj

Familyfirstj Member

The 40kwh model S is going for under 35k online i keep seeing them

10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Sometimes people point to the cancellation of the S40 and suggest Tesla will do the same with the SR. But it is night and day in terms of the value proposition of the base car and the potential market.

11. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Was the original VW Beatle made in Hamburg?

12. Chaserr

Chaserr Member

I would hope so, Tesla has 2 S60s and an S85 listed below $35k right now.

• Like x 1