Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reminder: Tesla does not require foreign oil for power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About 50% of the parts come from outside the US/Canada, like the MCU. I was under the car, recently, looking at the rear motor, and noticed the rear sway bar had a sticker saying it came from Mexico.

Don’t most car parts come from Mexico now? Even on American cars.

One of the main reasons I'm considering a Tesla is because it's American. I try to buy American everything when I can. I have owned a couple American cars in the past as well, but as I moved up the ladder their luxury options just weren't my style so I went German. But I'm ready to get back to American with Tesla. Being a software developer I also like that Tesla's are high tech. Even if they're mossing a few features I've got accustomed to (like HUD) the other high tech toys intrigue me.

One of the main reasons I'm considering a Tesla is because it's American. I try to buy American everything when I can. I have owned a couple American cars in the past as well, but as I moved up the ladder their luxury options just weren't my style so I went German. But I'm ready to get back to American with Tesla. Being a software developer I also like that Tesla's are high tech. Even if they're mossing a few features I've got accustomed to (like HUD) the other high tech toys intrigue me.

It is not feasible for a car manufacturer , especially a relatively new company, to not make all their own parts. But It is nice to know that the material to produce electricity mostly comes from the U.S.; hydro, wind, nat. Gas, solar, coal, nuclear power. Every nation can diversify their means to make electricity as they see fit and need not rely on just one resource.

I don't know about "most," but all new cars sold in the US are supposed to have a specification of the percentage of US/Canadian parts on their window stickers. (The stickers don't differentiate US from Canada.) For the Tesla Model 3 (at least, my LR RWD), that's 50%. The stickers are also supposed to show the biggest non-US/Canadian parts supplier. For my Model 3, that's Mexico, at 25%.

Various research organizations and publications maintain lists of cars ranked by US content. Usually these rankings dig a bit deeper than the window sticker data. One I ran across is the 2018 Kogod School of Business ranking:

2018 Auto Index

I'll leave it to describe itself, but it shows Teslas ranked at #8 (Model S), #12 (tie: Model X and Model 3 LR), and #16 (Model 3, presumably the MR, since the SR/SR+ wasn't available in 2018). These are out of 112 positions (there are a lot of ties).

Of course, another listing might show different results, since they'll vary with the precise criteria used. At least one (done by Cars.com) omits Tesla because Cars.com couldn't get Tesla to provide data they needed.

This post belongs in the environment section, or at the very least the general section. Has nothing to do with the process of ordering a tesla so should not be in this section.

I totally get that people post in specific sections for eyeballs, but, then everything would just be put in one of the Model 3 sections

Unless you pick up your Tesla from Freemont, its shipped via diesel truck. Exports are shipped via giant ships using oil. The workers drive to the factory, they eat food shipped via truck, parts are made of plastics made from oil. You guys just don't realize how dependent we are on oil.

Unless you pick up your Tesla from Freemont, its shipped via diesel truck. Exports are shipped via giant ships using oil. The workers drive to the factory, they eat food shipped via truck, parts are made of plastics made from oil. You guys just don't realize how dependent we are on oil.

Of course oil is a necessity. And for the next several years it will still be used as the dominate power source for vehicles. However, in most cases ICE vehicles are not best means to propel a car. Combustible engines can easily break down, dangerous, and caus harmful pollutants.

we are involved in Middle East conflicts because of the oil production. I think its time to reduce our dependence on oil. My opinion, obviously

• Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic