Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reminiscing about my Feb. 2012 Model X Day One P83 Reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those of us who ordered signature and first production Model X P90D's (on day one in Feb. 2012) had so many uncertainties waiting 4 years for our X's. I had only seen a pre-production mule at the Santana Row store, where I interviewed George Blankenship for the community (part 2). Later, I was invited to the Model X Production Reveal on Oct. 3, 2015 (inside Elon Musk's Founder Series 00001) at 900 Page Road.

I was given a test ride. I was blown away by the P90D's performance, but I should have followed my own second thoughts recorded in my video:

"I think you just cost me an extra $20,000 [for P90D]... I was going to just get the regular. On second thought, instead, I'll just buy another $20,000 worth of stock." Our driver replied, "after tonight I think you're right."

I spent much of my free time reading this TMC forum and posting ~295 times from reservation date through delivery on 3/22/2016, much to my wife's consternation. My P90D began its life on 1/2016. I was so excited to receive my Model X configuration email on Nov. 23, 2015, that I screen-grabbed everything and posted it here for people further down the list which began a 50-page thread.

These were my list of questions for Tesla as of September 19, 2015 pre-configuration:

1623683099310.png

That X P90D VIN 000417 was leased for 3 years. I returned it after that since the AutoPilot was obsolete and the "buy-out" was too high. Also, while it was on AutoPilot it had run over some road debris on the I-880 freeway necessitating extensive repairs so it didn't make sense to sell it privately. Tesla offered a 6-month early end in return for my purchasing a Model 3 Performance before the end of 2018 Q3, so I ordered one. However, when it came time for delivery, they didn't have a perf to give me before the end of the quarter. I accepted a dual motor and saved some $$.

Now I patiently await the 3-motor CyberTruck in 2022. Learning from my Model eXperience, all I do is watch the Texas Gigafactory videos once in a while for an update. I'm happy to see they are already casting the large part(s). We plan to give our Model 3 to our adult son. If $TSLA is stable enough to stay above $600 for at least a year when the new roadster is available to actually buy, then I will get one of those (using a loan never plan to sell any shares!). I was very fortunate to drive a 1983 Mercedes 380sl roadster when I was in my early 20's after my first software consulting gig (it's classic now and I've kept it). It will be fun during the last 1/4 of my life to drive a roadster! I just hope I don't drive it off a cliff or US-1 accidentally... :eek: I'm not planning on getting the cold air rockets since you lose the backseat when you do.

Russ

I have a P90D that is VIN 569 so I am pretty close to yours.
It was delivered in April 2016 to a very prominent Tech Executive in Silicon Valley.
I know this because he left his home and work location in the Navigation system.
He only put about 10,000 miles on it and turned it back to Tesla. It was basically brand new.
I bought it in April of 2019 and they gave me a four year 50k warranty and free supercharging for life.
I am very happy with this car. I realize it is a dinosaur with only 230 mile range etc. But it is really a great car.
I am not sure what I will do in April of 2023 when the warranty runs out.

Reactions: engle and bhorn
What is P83?
P83 meant that I had production reservation # 83 for the Model X. There were also a limited number of "Signature" Model X vehicles with different reservation numbers and special paint. People at the Model X reveal event in LA at the Hawthorn Design Center (next to SpaceX) were able to reserve first that night. Since I was in Fremont, I reserved when the website opened and received P83. I was hoping to get a very early Model X VIN. Had that been the case, I would have kept it.