Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote A/C triggers sentry mode alarm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the last week or so every time I start the A/C from the app on LR M3, it triggers the Sentry Mode alarm. Anyone else noticing this?
Yep. Had mine at the service center today for this and a few other minor issues. It's a known issue that engineering is looking into with no fix currently. Apparently the vibration from the AC compressor sets off the alarm.

They must have cranked up the sensitivity of the shock sensor for the alarm a few software updates ago. Mine started doing this a month or two ago. Never had a problem before that.

Hello, I too have recently had the sentry alarm go off when I remotely start to cool the vehicle on two different occasions. Reviewing the video, no one is near the vehicle when the alarm goes off which leads to believe it has something to do with the ac system triggering it. Seeing how old the original post is makes me wonder if this is an old problem, or a new one with a recent software update.

This has happened to me the last three days so if it was fixed it is now broken again. The A/C compressor is causing enough vibration to set the alarm off. Workaround is to turn off sentry mode, start the A/C, count to 10, and then re-enable sentry mode.

No fix that I know of. I toggle off Sentry mode, turn on the A/C, wait for it to drop a few degrees (at least 5F), and then turn Sentry back on. I find that if Sentry is turned back on too soon it will still set off the alarm. Apparently one needs to wait until the A/C throttles back a little before turning Sentry back on.

The issue still exists on my car. I actually think that it has gotten worse. I no longer turn Sentry Mode back on from my app after starting the cooling. Fortunately it turns on automatically the next time I park the car or else this would suck even more. So now the workaround for me is:

(1) Open app
(2) Turn off Sentry Mode
(3) Turn on climate control

It is certainly a first-world problem but annoying all the same. At least step (2) does not keep its state after your next drive.

I just had this same issue with our 2019 MX. It was resolved at my service appt - here's the service notes:

Technician reviewed log data. Inspected and found 3 different points the A/C compressor low and high lines are contacting body or metal. This is causing a vibration through the chassis and can sometimes be enough jerk to trigger panic/sentry alarms. Insulated the 3 contact points. Ran A/C compressor at high speeds and verified vibrations in those areas have been greatly reduced.Technician advises customer to monitor, as this will require customer to monitor their sentry usage and phone app in conjunction.

Reactions: father_of_6