Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote Activation of Front/Rear Defrosters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As mgboyes states, this recently came up on the UK TM forum. I received the following email -

Good Morning Chris,
Your details have been passed on to me following a the post you have recently made on our Forum.
Tesla take customer feedback very seriously, the two items that you have mentioned, currently there is not a way these can be altered (ref the display / notification) or added ( ref the climate tab). However we have a dedicated team that look after “Feature Requests”, I have forwarded on to them your comments and should we have enough feedback from customers requesting the same / similar adjustments they will implement them.
I am pleased to hear that you are enjoying your MS and If I can be of any further assistance then please do not hesitate to contact me.
Kind Regards,
Jo

The concept we arrived at (mostly mgboyes idea!) would be to either add a "Max Defrost" button to the climate tab OR initiate Max Defrost when you select the temp as HI.

This would turn on front and rear windscreen demisters, and for those with Cold Climate pack, also turn on heated mirrors and wipers.

If you could demonstrate your support for this "Feature Request" here or on the original forum post, I can then reply to Jo showing there is widespread support for this.

From a cold and frosty Scotland :)

That's very strange... If you set manual air flow to one of the 3 possible directions, the car does not respect that setting when you activate climate from the app?

It seems that when you activate the HVAC systems from the remote app, it always sets the system to "Full Auto" mode and the temp you specify. Up until a couple of firmware revisions ago, this would be retained when you got in to the car and you could see it in this mode... and then have to subsequently change the setting back to what you wanted.

Now, while the system still appears to run as "Full Auto" when remotely activated, the system appears to stash the previous HVAC settings state away in memory, and then restore them when you open the door to get in.

In either case, it doesn't appear that setting the windshield defrost vents before you leave the car will change anything when you remotely activate the HVAC system.

I suggest that adding windshield defrost controls to the mobile app would be the most straightforward solution...

It seems that when you activate the HVAC systems from the remote app, it always sets the system to "Full Auto" mode and the temp you specify. Up until a couple of firmware revisions ago, this would be retained when you got in to the car and you could see it in this mode... and then have to subsequently change the setting back to what you wanted.

Now, while the system still appears to run as "Full Auto" when remotely activated, the system appears to stash the previous HVAC settings state away in memory, and then restore them when you open the door to get in.

In either case, it doesn't appear that setting the windshield defrost vents before you leave the car will change anything when you remotely activate the HVAC system.

I suggest that adding windshield defrost controls to the mobile app would be the most straightforward solution...

OK, so this explains why I see it as I left it - but if it acts on full auto when activated from the app, we then certainly need the defrost controls on the app...

As mgboyes states, this recently came up on the UK TM forum. I received the following email -

The concept we arrived at (mostly mgboyes idea!) would be to either add a "Max Defrost" button to the climate tab OR initiate Max Defrost when you select the temp as HI.

This would turn on front and rear windscreen demisters, and for those with Cold Climate pack, also turn on heated mirrors and wipers.

If you could demonstrate your support for this "Feature Request" here or on the original forum post, I can then reply to Jo showing there is widespread support for this.

From a cold and frosty Scotland :)

Excellent! I will definitely note my support.

Done.

Last edited:
Yes and I'm pleased that they've changed this.

Yeah, one thing that bugged me all last winter was that using the app to pre-heat the car would put it into full Auto and then leave it there when I set out, regardless of how I had it set when I parked. And Full Auto seemed to go heavy on Recirculate. I'd get a few minutes into my trip and wonder why I was fogging up so badly, then remember to manually turn it to fresh air. Fogging would vanish.

Now it seems to be the way I left it after I come out to the pre-heated car.

Anyone know if it goes to full Auto when activated remotely by the app, then revert to the previous settings, or does it just stay where it was left and simply come on at those settings?

Anyone know if it goes to full Auto when activated remotely by the app, then revert to the previous settings, or does it just stay where it was left and simply come on at those settings?

I am assuming that it goes on full auto when activated from the app, after what I've read here. But to tell the truth, the only way to find out is sit in the car and have someone else activate it for you... I might do it today :)

OK, just tested it, and I can now confirm that the settings you leave upon leaving the car are indeed respected by remote activation from the app.

What I've done is: go in the car, activate climate to 20 C and manual flow to windshield. Then simulate I'm leaving the car: lift your ass from the seat and open - close the door, then lock yourself in by pressing once on the key fob (will not work if you've not simulated exit).

Then ask my wife to activate climate from the app and check with my hands over the vent exits that the air is flowing towards the windshield... For a second it doesn't, making me think it first starts on full auto, but then it does, switching to your manual setting.

Not the best option possible, but here is your remote defrost!

I also would love more controls when using the app. I tested it out today (8 degrees F) and snowing lightly. It defrosts the windshield OK but the rear window had snow and the wipers were buried in snow.
So if there was a rear defrost control and a heated wiper control that would be great.

I also would love more controls when using the app. I tested it out today (8 degrees F) and snowing lightly. It defrosts the windshield OK but the rear window had snow and the wipers were buried in snow.
So if there was a rear defrost control and a heated wiper control that would be great.

Totally agree.

What I have noticed is that when you heat the cabin long enough (for about 20-30 min) at 20 C at least, the snow/ice on the rear window melts. But of course adding control features on the app for the defrost (both front and rear) would be much better.

Add me to the list of those supporting defrost activation from the mobile app.

Another thing I would like is the ability to preheat the seat from the mobile app. I know I can preheat the whole car, but there are times that I forget to preheat and only think about it when I am about to head out from the office to the car. It would be nice to just turn on the seat heater so that when I get in and start driving I don't freeze my behind while the car is warming the rest of the way up. That first few minutes before the seat heater kicks on can be a shocker!

Just posted a Tweet and thought this was the best thread to revive to make note of it:

C7NcRe8VAAQceQX.jpg:large

Lex on Twitter

Not at all a "big deal" with the wet snow on there, I could use my hand, but was trying to make a point of how odd it is that I can see my car, and it is connected to 220V but there's no way to activate the defrosters without getting into the car.

Has anyone figured out a way to remotely activate the front/rear defrosters? Being able to turn on the cabin heating generally is of course fantastic, but sometimes defrosting the front and rear windows is what I real need. It is a shame that we don't yet have that functionality on the smartphone/iphone app (there seems to be plenty of real estate for appropriate icons on the climate tab), but I understand the company has other development priorities. I am surprised that some of the third-party web-apps don't appear to have addressed this issue either (e.g. Visible Tesla/Trevor Stone). Is this on anyone else's wish list? Is there a simple work-around that I've overlooked? I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts on this.
Cold weather items and defroster are not exposed in the API. So no heated steering wheel, seat warmers, windshield wiper nozzles, or defroster control. However, the status can be read by the API so apps like Dashboard for Tesla can at least tell you the status.

The question is, why not in the API ?

The steering wheel only takes moments so that's not a big deal (though it would be nice for it to remember the setting to resume when car is "running").

I believe seat warmers have been tested to not be effective to actually heat the cabin... And, they warm up really quickly (3 is usually way too hot for me). So again, no big deal.

But exterior mirrors and rear window defroster just make sense to activate remotely.

My only thought is they don't want more tax on the 12V system, or more warranty battery replacements. Wonder how they deal(t) with this in the Model 3 design...

The question is, why not in the API ?

The steering wheel only takes moments so that's not a big deal (though it would be nice for it to remember the setting to resume when car is "running").

I believe seat warmers have been tested to not be effective to actually heat the cabin... And, they warm up really quickly (3 is usually way too hot for me). So again, no big deal.

But exterior mirrors and rear window defroster just make sense to activate remotely.

My only thought is they don't want more tax on the 12V system, or more warranty battery replacements. Wonder how they deal(t) with this in the Model 3 design...
Fun fact, personal evidence suggests that more use of the 12v battery actually prevents the failures of the 12v battery. Aftermarket sub for 3yrs, no 12v battery replacements.

Reactions: Joelc