Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote app and seat warmers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 M S and I can’t get the seat to warm up with the phone app. The steering wheel heats up as well as the other climate features. I just can’t get the seats to warm up on any setting. I have deliberately tried several settings which do display in the car when I get in. So I know the app works but the seats just don’t respond until I sit in the car. Then they are slow to catch up so I notice they are stone cold but do work once I’m in the car.

I have had the car into service twice. The last trip the service manager told me to remove the USB, dump and reload the APP, which I did without any success. I’ve even got an update since going to service this week.

As I recall my old M S would preheat the seats before sitting in the car. I also remember Tesla disabling the steering wheel heater years ago to deal with some other software issue.

The seat warmers are so weak in these cars that they are probably turned on but you cant feel them until you sit on the seat for a few minutes and the heat transfers through the layers of seat material. Mine acts the same way and that's how I have rationalized it in my head. After pre-heating for at least 20 minutes I cant just sit in the car and feel instant heat on my ass... its weird.

The seat warmers are so weak in these cars that they are probably turned on but you cant feel them until you sit on the seat for a few minutes and the heat transfers through the layers of seat material. Mine acts the same way and that's how I have rationalized it in my head. After pre-heating for at least 20 minutes I cant just sit in the car and feel instant heat on my ass... its weird.

Normally I would agree with this but my seats are stone cold. As I recall my 2018 S didn't have this issue. When I got the car back from Tesla they told me to dump the App and replace the USB and try again. No Luck.............. Wit that I would have to say something is wrong. Unless there is a difference between my new seats and the 2018 seats, which I don't think there is.

I thought I remembered a vid of youtuber daerik showing his seat heaters with a thermal awhile back but I have similar experience as you OP. I can remotely condition the car with seat heaters on, steering wheel ect. When I get to the car only the temp and the wheel feels like it actually conditioned. But eventually after sitting in the car long enough the seat does begin to warm.

I just did a little test. I turned my climate on for half an hour and then went out to check the seat temperatures with an IR thermometer. I set the driver's seat to 3 bars and left the passenger seat off. The passenger seat was 64 degrees and the driver's seat was 84.

I will say that the seat doesn't feel as warm as I thought it would be, but the seat heaters do come on.

• Informative
Reactions: serendipitous
I have a 2020 M S and I can’t get the seat to warm up with the phone app. The steering wheel heats up as well as the other climate features. [snip,snip]

As I recall my old M S would preheat the seats before sitting in the car. I also remember Tesla disabling the steering wheel heater years ago to deal with some other software issue.
Mine behaves as you describe as well. The steering wheel heats up but seats do not when set in the app. It used to do this last winter but many updates since then so likely a software change.

Mine behaves as you describe as well. The steering wheel heats up but seats do not when set in the app. It used to do this last winter but many updates since then so likely a software change.

i would agree with your statement,but why doesn’t Tesla admit to it? It’s similar to the steering wheel feature software bug a couple years ago. They had me remove the USB and reload the app,which didn’t work.