Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote "Climate On" results in full blast heating to 81F

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dolfs

Supporting Member
Twice now I have used the mobile app "Climate On" function in an attempt to cool the cabin down before going somewhere. In both cases the interior temp was something like 140F. In both cases I showed up in the car after a few minutes. The app would state the interior was now something like 84F, which surprised me because in the past it would have cooled further at that point.
Taking position in the car I noticed the vents were blowing hot air and all seat warmers were on full blast. The fan was also running full blast. The mobile app confirmed same and I noticed the fan was on "HI" and the temp was set for 81F?
My normal temp settings on the in-car screen are 69F on both sides, and these were still being displayed there.

Both events were very recently, while I was (and still am) on version 2021.4.18. Model Y LR AWD 5, no FSD. I am positive I never set the app temp to 81F myself.

Has anybody else experienced this, or something similar? Ideas?

Nope. I rarely launch the app, but I sometimes do while watching Netflix and want to adjust the AC or heat.

My AC is normally set to 70 and both app and car are always in sync.

Twice now I have used the mobile app "Climate On" function in an attempt to cool the cabin down before going somewhere. In both cases the interior temp was something like 140F. In both cases I showed up in the car after a few minutes. The app would state the interior was now something like 84F, which surprised me because in the past it would have cooled further at that point.
Taking position in the car I noticed the vents were blowing hot air and all seat warmers were on full blast. The fan was also running full blast. The mobile app confirmed same and I noticed the fan was on "HI" and the temp was set for 81F?
My normal temp settings on the in-car screen are 69F on both sides, and these were still being displayed there.

Both events were very recently, while I was (and still am) on version 2021.4.18. Model Y LR AWD 5, no FSD. I am positive I never set the app temp to 81F myself.

Has anybody else experienced this, or something similar? Ideas?

I would try rebooting, see if that solves the issue with the climate control.

Do you have Cabin Overheat Protection set to On, with AC? When Cabin Overheat protection is active the Tesla will actively cool the cabin when the vehicle is parked, maintain the cabin temperature to no more than a maximum of 105F. (Note: Cabin Overheat Protection is only active for the first 12 hours after the vehicle is parked. To reset the 12 hour clock use the Tesla App to unlock, re-lock the vehicle. That should reset the 12 hour limit.)

Last edited:
I checked each of our paired phones, and neither is set to 81F. It is possible that mine was yesterday when the event happened. I say that simply because once I was in the car and noticed the problem with hot air, even though the in-car climate system was set to 69F, I looked at the app and it said "HI" in the temp control. Tapping it once, I just confirmed changes it to 81F, so I suppose that's how I saw the 81F.

I never put it to "HI" (why would I?). That could only have happened through a butt-dial type event, but those are extremely rare for me (perhaps once a year, if that). Other possibility is software bug of course.

All that said and reading the remark about mobile app overriding car, I can see that as making sense, but only until you actually get in the car. This is what happened. I did not discover this issue until I had entered the car using the same phone used to unlock. The screen still said 69F on both sides, but it was blowing hot as hell. Yes, the app was still open, but I guess I am arguing that once you unlock the car, and perhaps when there is weight in a seat, this should put in-car controls active, no? So yes, if children are locked in and mess up you want the app to be able to resolve the situation, but that is easily solved by saying that if action is taken in the mobile app after that car is occupied it can (again) take over...

Anyway, not that big a deal unless the random change of setting to "HI" happens again.

Your AC might be busted. This is a known issue on some vehicles. I made a run to Costco during lunch and my AC was working. I sometimes run the heat from time to time as well just to make sure that hasn't malfunctioned.

You can control your heat/AC remotely without being in the car. People do that all the time during winter to warm up their car.

Your car and app should always be in-sync. Change something in the car controls and the app should be updated. Change something in the app and the car displays should be updated.

My car is set to 70. I launch the app and it shows 70, which matches. It's parked and I'm in the office so climate is off.
Climate_controls.jpg

I checked each of our paired phones, and neither is set to 81F. It is possible that mine was yesterday when the event happened. I say that simply because once I was in the car and noticed the problem with hot air, even though the in-car climate system was set to 69F, I looked at the app and it said "HI" in the temp control. Tapping it once, I just confirmed changes it to 81F, so I suppose that's how I saw the 81F.

I never put it to "HI" (why would I?). That could only have happened through a butt-dial type event, but those are extremely rare for me (perhaps once a year, if that). Other possibility is software bug of course.

All that said and reading the remark about mobile app overriding car, I can see that as making sense, but only until you actually get in the car. This is what happened. I did not discover this issue until I had entered the car using the same phone used to unlock. The screen still said 69F on both sides, but it was blowing hot as hell. Yes, the app was still open, but I guess I am arguing that once you unlock the car, and perhaps when there is weight in a seat, this should put in-car controls active, no? So yes, if children are locked in and mess up you want the app to be able to resolve the situation, but that is easily solved by saying that if action is taken in the mobile app after that car is occupied it can (again) take over...

Anyway, not that big a deal unless the random change of setting to "HI" happens again.

For the first time in a year, that happened to me yesterday. I noticed my car was showing heat just before putting my phone back in my pocket. Playing with the screen, it appears that I accidentally tapped the defrost button. This changes from cooling to high heat in one click.

I remember the first time upon learning that I could turn on the climate control from the Tesla phone app simply by tapping the fan icon on the main app screen. Now the only time I need to go to the climate control menu is to change the settings.

Reactions: MY-Y