Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote climate triggering sentry mode 2019 3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019 Model 3P - when I turn on climate through the app to cool the car down ( live in Los Angeles ), most of the time it'll set off sentry mode, horn honking, loud music etc. within a minute or two.

Took it to the service center, first time the tech "checked aircon line for shorts" - I reproduced the issue for them right there in the service bay, they took the car back to have another attempt at it.

This time they replaced the AC refrigerant and the insulation around the compressor. Car _sounds_ quieter now when the AC is on, and I couldn't reproduce in the service bay, so I drove it home.

Tried it again just now in the driveway after the car had been sitting in the sun for a bit, and sure enough, sentry mode goes off. I suspect it only happens when there's a good enough thermal gradient and the AC compressor is going at max and / or there's enough thermal expansion / contraction in the cabin.

Has anyone had this issue and had it successfully resolved? Part of the problem is they cannot apparently activate sentry mode when the car is in service mode, so they can't reproduce the issue at will.

Thanks

Ewan

There are other threads about this issue. I have the same issue with my 2018 LR AWD. My solution is simple:

(1) Turn off Sentry Mode
(2) Turn on climate

Yes, this means that I leave my car without Sentry Mode for 5 to 10 minutes as I wrap up whatever I am doing and walk to my car. I'm willing to take that risk.

Also, if the temp in the car gets down into the 80s, I find it is generally ok to turn Sentry Mode back on as apparently the A/C throttles back. That doesn't always workout so I typically do not do that.