Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote control when someone else is driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When my girlfriend is driving our MY without me and I open the app at home, I can see all the controls, e.g. lock/unlock, music controls, volume, climate, etc.

I never tried this (didn't want to freak her out in case it does work 😂 ), but I wondered: do these controls actually work when someone else is driving and I'm in a different location? E.g. can I turn up the volume and the AC while she is driving and I'm at home? 😈

When my girlfriend is driving our MY without me and I open the app at home, I can see all the controls, e.g. lock/unlock, music controls, volume, climate, etc.

I never tried this (didn't want to freak her out in case it does work 😂 ), but I wondered: do these controls actually work when someone else is driving and I'm in a different location? E.g. can I turn up the volume and the AC while she is driving and I'm at home? 😈
Yes, it should such as remote turning on/off AC, horn...

I know the seat heaters do....

My daughter came back from college for a few days last weekend, and her and one of her friends wanted to ride in my new Model Y.
While I was driving around and showing them the FSD, the passenger and rear seat heaters kept turning on. I was like WTF? We didn't touch them.

When I got home, my wife (who stayed home) said she was messing with our daughter and her friend using the app. I told my wife if she does that to me, I'm going to revoke her app privileges. :)

My daughter came back from college for a few days last weekend, and her and one of her friends wanted to ride in my new Model Y.
While I was driving around and showing them the FSD, the passenger and rear seat heaters kept turning on. I was like WTF? We didn't touch them.

When I got home, my wife (who stayed home) said she was messing with our daughter and her friend using the app. I told my wife if she does that to me, I'm going to revoke her app privileges. :)
LOL. Imagine the possibilities though... 🤔

You said that to your wife and still continue to live there? I would be careful with her cooking. 😂😂😂

You can turn off the remote media control in the car's settings (I forget exactly where but saw it recently).

[Always fun quoting yourself, lol.] Oddly, this seems to have no effect. I turned the setting off in our vehicle and for a short period of time the controls vanished from my app, but they seem to have returned despite the setting remaining off. Guessing there's a glitch to be worked through in either the vehicle or app software.

I haven’t tested it but can they open the rear hatch while in drive? Or worse yet, the frunk?

My wife and I ran out today and we tested it (for science! ;)) while I was driving around a parking lot, and she was in the passenger seat with the app open.
When she hit the button to open the trunk, the car made a sound similar to the sound it normally makes when you open the trunk, but the trunk didn't open.
When she hit the button to open the frunk, nothing happened - no audible feedback, and the frunk didn't open.

My wife and I ran out today and we tested it (for science! ;)) while I was driving around a parking lot, and she was in the passenger seat with the app open.
When she hit the button to open the trunk, the car made a sound similar to the sound it normally makes when you open the trunk, but the trunk didn't open.
When she hit the button to open the frunk, nothing happened - no audible feedback, and the frunk didn't open.
Thanks for testing!!