Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote Fob Capabilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you roll the windows down with the remote fob? (Would be really handy here in FL)
Can you open the "frunk" with the remote fob?

If these features cannot be done with the fob, could they be done using the mobile app?

Thanks for your help. cs

The fob cannot roll down the windows unlike some other cars where pressing and holding the unlock button will cause the windows to roll down (unless this has been added in some firmware update unbeknownst to me). The best you can do with the mobile app is vent the pano roof.

You can definitely open the frunk. Just press the part of the fob that looks like the frunk, and likewise for the trunk.

You were able to roll down the windows with the fob once upon a time. But they took that away with a firmware update because of accidental opening of windows when the fob was in the pocket.
Plus you can only open the frunk with the fob if you have the tech package.
You can only open the pano roof with the mobile app.

Thank you all. Hard for me to believe there are other cars out there (like a Volt) that allow the windows to be lowered, and not the Model S. Kind of sad. I thought maybe with the mobile app you might have more features, but not, huh? Thanks.

You were able to roll down the windows with the fob once upon a time. But they took that away with a firmware update because of accidental opening of windows when the fob was in the pocket.
Plus you can only open the frunk with the fob if you have the tech package.

Now that you mention it, I do recall discussions around removing the window roll-down, but by the time I got around to testing it myself it was non-functional. I was not aware, however, that frunk unlatching via the fob was a Tech Pkg-only thing.

Now that you mention it, I do recall discussions around removing the window roll-down, but by the time I got around to testing it myself it was non-functional.
Yes, this went away with the 5.0 firmware IIRC. And as always when a feature was taken away, the outcry here was loud. And now hardly anyone remembers :)
I do recall one forum member stating that he had his Model S lower its windows in the middle of a rain storm - so he was happy when that feature got taken away.

Yes. A few members complained bitterly when they sat on their FOB and rolled down the windows at the wrong time. Feature was removed in the next software update....

Thank you all. Hard for me to believe there are other cars out there (like a Volt) that allow the windows to be lowered, and not the Model S. Kind of sad. I thought maybe with the mobile app you might have more features, but not, huh? Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. Latest update allows opening of the charge port with a sustained (2-3 sec) hold on the trunk button.... at least till someone complains about it :smile:

I thought I read something about opening the charge port with the fob now.

Yes. A few members complained bitterly when they sat on their FOB and rolled down the windows at the wrong time. Feature was removed in the next software update....

I was one of those early owners who had the windows roll down while I was sitting in a restaurant (with the fob in my back pocket).

But I'm not one of those who complained bitterly about it... :biggrin:

Despite what you might think, there are plenty of features that Tesla doesn't have. The Leaf has had standard steering wheel heater for years - Tesla just got it as part of a $750 package. Storage, handles, end timer on charger (Leaf and Volt have), and I'm sure about 100 other things. No cooled seats.

To be clear "opening" the frunk means unlatching it which is accomplished with a double click of the front fob button, you still have to manually lift it. The rear hatch opens and closes with a double click of the rear fob button. Holding the middle button down while the car is unlocked opens the charge port. ( this is new with I think 6.0) This is how my car works on 6.1 with the tech package.