Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote for Tesla App saved me from being stranded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've haven't been driving much since March due to the whole COVID thing or gone to any stores. I had a day off and decided to go to the supermarket and rejoin the real world for a brief moment. When I got back to my car with the groceries I was able to open the door and load the goods, but when I tried to start the car the phone became unpaired and I found myself stranded. I opened a ticket with Tesla, but it took them 35M to update it that it was being reviewed. I decided to call for an Uber when I saw an app I bought but haven't used in 10 months called Remote for Tesla. I bought to use with Siri Shortcuts but never really used it as Siri doesn't activate 60% on my Apple Watch by just voice. I fired it up and it was still paired and was able to start the vehicle. It paid for itself that day.. think it cost me $10 last year.

If you don't already have it, might be worthwhile having it on your phone for an emergency.

Or you could have logged in to the Tesla app and performed a remote start.
Or, you could have borrowed someone's - a stranger's smartphone and installed the Tesla app, logged in, and started your car, then delete the app from the phone.
Or, call someone you trust and have them do the same.
Or, get one of those "sleve's or pockets" and add it to be back of your phone so you have our key card with you.
Or, like jkdman123 said, carry your card key in your wallet.

Last edited:
Never leave your home without your key card. Lots of things can go wrong with smart phones. They could get bricked. The battery could die. They could get stolen. They could get hacked.

You are asking for trouble by relying on your phone as your only key.
Heck, I still carry a spare metal key for my Acura in my wallet in a special little whatsit I found at the dealer years ago.

Like I said I haven't really been driving the last 7 months. When I was driving every day I had it in my RFID shielded wallet.

I learned a lot of new things on this thread, most usefully I had no idea the Tesla app could start the car while unpaired since I haven't used it since I setup the car last November when I got it. Clearly I should have taken the time to learn the app and now I might read the user manual this weekend.. never read it. :D

Reactions: elf9 and Saturday
Wow @Chuck305. No intention in offending or embarrassing you, but since didn't know you could unlock the car, and you are not driving every day, please go sit in your car. Take a look and practice the things you can do with your car and app. Glad you found Remote for Tesla. Many of us have known about it and what it can do for many years. Please find out more about your car.

Reactions: DopeGhoti