Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote monitoring of car camera in new BMW - could Tesla do the same?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read an article today about the 2017 BMW 5 series having a feature to view the car's cameras from your smartphone. There is no reason why Tesla couldn't implement this same feature as well if they wanted to in the future. I'm sure there are many here who would want to be able to see what's going on around their Tesla while it's parked in a public place. Let's see if we get this same option in the future.

"More tech features include a remote 3D view for your smart phone where you can monitor your vehicle using the cameras and sensors in the car feeding the phone and..."

BMW’s all-new 2017 5 series stirs up a technology tsunami

I thought I was bad occasionally checking the charge level when the car is plugged in. Do people really want to be able to check what's going on around their car while it's parked? That, to me, sounds like the marketing department wanted a longer list of "tech features" regardless of utility.

The BlackVue can do this, but only if the camera can connect to WiFi. If it doesn't have a WiFi connection, then no.

I'm not sure remote viewing is as useful as recording. Odds are extraordinarily low that you'll catch something at the minute it's going on. Better to have a recorded record of everything. Storing the recording in the cloud would be beneficial though so that you have the recording even if the car is stolen, or if it's broken into and the SD card is stolen from the camera.

Network traffic would be the big issue - at best Tesla would have to start a subscription service, otherwise that background 3/4G connection is going to get soaked and not be free for very long me thinks.

Would need new cameras - as MS/MX sees in red/grey apart from the rearview camera.

Network traffic would be the big issue - at best Tesla would have to start a subscription service, otherwise that background 3/4G connection is going to get soaked and not be free for very long me thinks.

Would need new cameras - as MS/MX sees in red/grey apart from the rearview camera.
There's no reason to constantly run the video. You open the app, the app requests the car start streaming video, and then you're set.

It's clearly more data than is currently being sent, though. On the other hand, that 3G/4G connection isn't going to be free for very long anyway. The 2012/2013 cars have, what, a year and change left?