Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote pre-heating: What does what when with what version ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pre heating our seats (P85D) has been a highly desired feature that we were quite happy about. Easy come easy go. We got the notice for the firmware update that was supposed to include it but were out of town and it was pulled before we could download it. Perhaps a good thing given many people's experiences with it. So, I am currently still on 2018.4.1.

A few months ago we got Battery Pre-Conditioning w/ a heat icon in the cup holders. Wish it provided a bit more regen than it does but better than what we had before.

Tesheat - 2.jpg

More recently we seem to have also gotten (at least I only recently noticed it) Pre-Defrosting. I assume this is heated air redirected to the windshield and not the subzero heated wiper (windshield actually)? AND, I assume the icon that looks like the Pre-Heating Battery icon is still the Pre-Heating Battery icon even though someone chose to move it over in to the passenger seat (if so, would seem much better to keep it in one place)?

Tesheat - 1.jpg

Camper Mode: Keeps heat on while parked. HOWEVER, it also recently began to also keep the Subzero Wiper Heat on (if already turned on) for up to about 10 minutes but not for longer periods. It does not appear to keep Defrost (redirected hot air) or Rear Window Defrost on for any period.

Heating Steering Wheel: Never stays on, cannot be turned on remotely, but now will come on automatically when you enter the car if it'd been on previously.

Heated Seats: Does anyone have this working yet?

I just noticed the Defrosting today. I looked at the remote S app and it showed a red line along where the wiper heat would be and a red back part of the car which would be the rear window. Unfortunately I was in a hurry and just jumped in the car and drove away. As it was not super cold, I did not notice if those two heaters were actually on. I'd like to check it out, but would prefer to wait until next winter.
Screenshot_20180322-180050.png

Is there a max outside temperature for this? I'm on 2018.6.1 on '15 AP1 car, android app version 3.3.3, none of these appear (not the battery pre-heat either). Our '17 AP2 car got totalled so can't check on it (new '18 one coming next week) but before it was killed by a DUI driver early February, none of these appeared either.

@Chaserr, thank you.

Wish they would do slightly more meaningful icons and position them correctly.

I don't see why it matters. You can't do anything with that information except be frustrated.

"Oh look it's heating the battery, I didn't want that"
"Oh look it's not heating the battery, wish it would heat to full supercharge/regen temp"
"Oh look the defrosters are on, bone dry weather"

• Funny
Reactions: ckoval7
I don't see why it matters. You can't do anything with that information except be frustrated.

"Oh look it's heating the battery, I didn't want that"
"Oh look it's not heating the battery, wish it would heat to full supercharge/regen temp"
"Oh look the defrosters are on, bone dry weather"

I don't disagree. It should and could give you the option of turning individual seats, steering, and each defroster on/off/level. Basically the Winter screen from the car. This would be much more useful and is what I expected from Elon's tweet. Hopefully they'll get there one day.