Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote Private Driveway Car Charging - Assistance with a Solution?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

First post here. I have searched to see if others have faced similar issues but I couldn't find similar and up-to-date advice.

I have a terrace property (freehold) located onto a private car parking forecourt area (owned by a different party) with garages and carparking spaces. My garage and parking space (which I own as freehold) is remote from the front of the house and is approximately 11m away.

Image attached best shows the suitation. What is the most appropriate charging solution for my requirements?
House Car Charger Sketch.PNG

- I am potentially moving house in a years time so ideally I don't want to spend out on a solution that costs alot.
- Neighbors are happy with trailing leads if need be.
- 18th Edition compliant solution.
- 7kW charging preferred.

At the moment I can only see my options below but welcome thoughts.

Option 1 - Install a 32a commando socket with appropriate electrical isolation, earthing etc on the front elevation and route a commando cable extension above ground to the driveway. Use UMC charger in a Dribox to charge at 7kW.

Option 2 - Install a EV Charger on front of house (untethered) and buy an extra long type 2 to type 2 cable and trail it across to the driveway. (Seems a costly method to the above).

Option 3 - Route below ground cable to driveway and install EVC charger on external garage wall. (May not be feasible as no right to route cable through private forecourt - also lengthy timescales due to communication with unknown owner of said forecourt). Also costly method to trench and lay cabling and make good existing tarmac driveways.

Welcome any other ideas? Hopefully useful for others also we remote parking suitations like mine. I've also thought about the new cable channels that could replace the driveway edging strips to save digging up tarmac etc.

An electrician is also providing advice but asking here also to tap into others experiences.

Thank you.

What stops neighbours with the garages to the left driving over your trailing cables? You need some kind of containment. I assume there's no existing power in your garage?

Also I would make sure your installation has appropriate Pen Fault Detection, it's mandatory for EV chargers (but not for a Commando used for other purposes) but in your case that remoteness from your property really makes is worth having.

Upvote 0
The other drive owners are going to need a solution at some point, so work together.

Approach the drive owners and see if they are willing to split the cost of a new connection (a third each)
- Then have three meters installed like they do in flats.
- Alternatively, on one meter (Setup up a shell company, like they do in flats (each owner is a director). Get the bill invoiced to the shell company to split.)
- It will be cheaper to have an electrician on site doing three EV chargers at once than paying individually

The electricity company will sort all the way leaves. If you get the quotes in and present them - it takes the hassle out for others.

Seems like a lot of effort, but in reality it isn't

Reactions: ACarneiro
Upvote 0
Probably pointing out the obvious but I would think that there should be an uplift in your (and your neighbours, if they join you) property value by it being EV ready for future owners.

I think that was implied by @Itidiot but it would certainly make me put in a bit of time and effort to try and solve the problem rather than concede defeat now and rely on public charging.

Reactions: Itidiot
Upvote 0
Probably pointing out the obvious but I would think that there should be an uplift in your (and your neighbours, if they join you) property value by it being EV ready for future owners.

I think that was implied by @Itidiot but it would certainly make me put in a bit of time and effort to try and solve the problem rather than concede defeat now and rely on public charging.

Totally agree It will certainly make your house more sellable - as your removing the headache for buyers.

Fag Packet Calc
  1. New Connection + Three Meters £5370
  2. External Electricity Kiosk Box £180
  3. Making good of Drive / Landscaping £2000
  4. Three Chargers £3000
Circa £3k each (£2k more than a house with a dedicated drive)

Speak to your Distribution network operator (DNO)... they will do all the hard work.

Attachments

• electric box.jpg
    electric box.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks all for the responses. All very helpful. Some more additional information:

- There is no power in my garage
- There is power into the middle garage from a neighbor but it is not rated or suitable for a car charger or a continuous load

Could I use a 32a commando extension arrangement with the UMC?
(Not from the middle garage obviously.) You could do it direct from your own property and extend with a suitably rated cable if you can achieve that without obstructing your neighbours. You would technically require an EV standard of install on the socket at the house end of course.

Upvote 0