Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S “estimated range”?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The estimated, as displayed on the energy graphs is a close to real world estimation of range based on current driving habits over a smalltime period. This is a real estimate.
The rated range is a number that can only be assumed to be wrong. It's based on government filings with specific configurations.

If the estimated range is lower than the rated, it isn't uncommon, but it is an indicator that maybe you need to work a little to become more efficient.

Calculates it based on Wh/mi. Battery left times kwh/mi divided by 100. So if you have. let's say 35% battery left and you drive at 300 kwh/mi, your range would be (300*35/100) = 105 mil range.

Your driving habit, heater / ac usage and other aspects would have a say in this calculation though.

I am not entirely sure about the calculation parameter being 300 kwh/mi though. I got this number based on what I see on my car. It might be slightly less than 300.

Calculates it based on Wh/mi. Battery left times kwh/mi divided by 100. So if you have. let's say 35% battery left and you drive at 300 kwh/mi, your range would be (300*35/100) = 105 mil range.

Your driving habit, heater / ac usage and other aspects would have a say in this calculation though.

I am not entirely sure about the calculation parameter being 300 kwh/mi though. I got this number based on what I see on my car. It might be slightly less than 300.

I think that formula only works if I have a S100? I have a 85D so I'm doing: 85,000wh x % of battery / avg. wh/mi. So Right now I'm at 86% and my average wh/mi is 365 so I did 85 x .86 /365 which gets me 200 miles, sounds right. However, my estimated says 166 mi and rated is 227 mi. Rated makes sense as if was diving longer distances on freeways I should prob get 320 wh/mi then it would calculate out to be 228 miles. The estimate does seem low.. but as ewoodrick pointed out, if it's based on small time period then that would make sense since my current wh/mi since last charge is like 430 (I have 5 mile work commute, lots of stop and go on local), using 430 would get me to 170 mi.