Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S iPhone App Apple Watch - Problem Resolved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently encountered a problem with the Remote S app on my Apple Watch. The iPhone connected to the car just fine but the watch app couldn't connect. I deleted the Remote S app from my iPhone and then re-installed it. Problem solved! Has anyone else had this problem or is it an aberration?

It's a common problem with apps in general and especially Apple Watch apps. One answer is always to delete and reinstall. Note also that vendor support for Remote S is now only on the Tesla forum.

And I thought I had the link to that post but I can't locate it, sorry!

Will the Remote S app work on the new Apple Watch Series 3 with LTE, without the tethered IPhone nearby? Also, will the Apple Watch Series 3 with LTE pair to a Tesla via Bluetooth so it can be used in the Tesla without an iPhone to make and receive calls through the Tesla's audio system?

It already works now without it being tethered. It only needs to be paired in the beginning for the iPhone to send the user login credentials to the watch app.

Most likely yes for the second answer, but I can't say for sure without having a Watch 3.

Thanks Allen. I have been using Remote S with my old Apple Watch and am looking forward to using Remote S with a new Series 3 Apple Watch. Hopefully someone on this forum can confirm soon that the Series 3 watch can be paired directly with their Tesla and used in the car without their tethered iPhone.

It already works now without it being tethered. It only needs to be paired in the beginning for the iPhone to send the user login credentials to the watch app.

Most likely yes for the second answer, but I can't say for sure without having a Watch 3.

I discovered that many 3rd party Apple Watch apps only work with the new LTE Apple Watch if the app is also installed on a paired iPhone, AND, the iPhone is connected to the Internet (e.g. not turned off or in Airplane mode). Allen, can you confirm that Remote S will function on the LTE Apple Watch without the iPhone nearby, or with the iPhone turned off?

I discovered that many 3rd party Apple Watch apps only work with the new LTE Apple Watch if the app is also installed on a paired iPhone, AND, the iPhone is connected to the Internet (e.g. not turned off or in Airplane mode). Allen, can you confirm that Remote S will function on the LTE Apple Watch without the iPhone nearby, or with the iPhone turned off?
Yes. Multiple confirmations.

Thanks Allen.

Is anyone on this forum using Remote S on their Apple Watch Series 3 LTE without their paired iPhone with them? I’m wondering how fast the Remote S commands reach the car using the LTE on the Watch. My first gen Apple Watch with Watch OS 4 paired to an iPhone 6 with IOS 11 takes several minutes to execute a command such as starting the HVAC. I am assuming that it is so slow because the Apple Watch is a first gen watch.

I guess there isn’t anyone using Remote S on their Apple Watch Series 3 with LTE yet. But is there anyone using Remote S with a Series 2 Apple Watch? If so, how well does it work with IOS 11 and Watch OS 4.0? My experience is very poor after upgrading to IOS 11 and OS 4.0, and I am trying to determine if the problem is the newer operating systems, or my 1st Gen Apple Watch hardware is too slow. Prior to upgrading the OS the response time using Remote S wasn’t too bad. But presently, when I try to turn on HVAC using my watch, it takes several minutes and sometimes I have to hard press on the watch several times and select “Start HVAC”. Eventually it works and the Remote S watch app shows that the HVAC is on. Today it took about 5 minutes to start HVAC and I had to restart the Remote S app on my Watch because there was no response. Please share your experience if you are using Remote S with IOS 11 and Watch OS 4.

Allen, the Remote S Apple Watch app has no connectivity to the Tesla when the Apple Watch Series 3 is on LTE. I tried this today when I was at the gym without my iPhone. The Remote S Apple Watch app never showed that it was connected to the vehicle and none of the Remote S commands would work when the Watch was connected to LTE. When I got home and the Watch connected to my iPhone, the Apple Watch Remote S app worked fine again. I think you said it would work, multiple times.

Allen, the Remote S Apple Watch app has no connectivity to the Tesla when the Apple Watch Series 3 is on LTE. I tried this today when I was at the gym without my iPhone. The Remote S Apple Watch app never showed that it was connected to the vehicle and none of the Remote S commands would work when the Watch was connected to LTE. When I got home and the Watch connected to my iPhone, the Apple Watch Remote S app worked fine again. I think you said it would work, multiple times.

I'm very interested in this, so please keep the updates coming. I have an Apple Watch 2, and frankly the delay makes me not bother with trying to start HVAC on the watch. previous post said 5 seconds, which is probably accurate and completely unacceptable...I'm not sure if the subsequent post was thinking 5 sec is good?!?

Anyway, I would love to transition to 90% watch and this would be great if the delay is eliminated with direct LTE connectivity

I am also hoping that Allen (developer of Remote S app) can update the Remote S Apple Watch app to work independently on the Apple Watch with LTE.

If anyone uses a competing 3rd party Tesla app (e.g. Toolbox) on an Apple Watch Series 3 with LTE, please let us know if you can control the Tesla functions from the Watch over LTE without your phone nearby.

I have definitely gotten Remote S on my Apple Watch 3 on LTE to connect to my car while my phone is off. It is a little deceiving because when Remote S is first started on the watch it looks like it’s connected and allows you to send commands even though it’s not connected. It takes longer than you would expect to connect (maybe around 30 seconds for me, but I have “always connected” turned on in the car. With that turned on it could take even longer to connect). You can tell it’s connected by looking at the first screen in the Remote S app. It shows the time of the last connection right above the little car. You need to wait until that updates to the current time. If it’s not showing the current time there then it is not actually connected to the car. It takes long enough to connect that usually the watch screen times out and turns off and I need to touch it to turn it back on at least once or twice.

Thanks for sharing this. I decided to try it again taking into consideration what you said. When I turned OFF my iPhone the Remote S Watch app continued to work fine. It continually updated the last time connected to the Tesla. Good so far. But then I realized that the Watch was on WiFi, the same WiFI as the Tesla. So I then left my house and walked down the street until the Watch was on LTE (green dots on Watch Explorer face). I then tried using the Remote S watch app to honk the car horn. I tried it several times and it did not honk. I then noticed that the last time connected was when I left WiFi. I don’t know why it won’t work for me but it works for you. Any thoughts?

I have definitely gotten Remote S on my Apple Watch 3 on LTE to connect to my car while my phone is off. It is a little deceiving because when Remote S is first started on the watch it looks like it’s connected and allows you to send commands even though it’s not connected. It takes longer than you would expect to connect (maybe around 30 seconds for me, but I have “always connected” turned on in the car. With that turned on it could take even longer to connect). You can tell it’s connected by looking at the first screen in the Remote S app. It shows the time of the last connection right above the little car. You need to wait until that updates to the current time. If it’s not showing the current time there then it is not actually connected to the car. It takes long enough to connect that usually the watch screen times out and turns off and I need to touch it to turn it back on at least once or twice.